Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Nov 21st 2016, 09:24 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Random post VII: the randomness awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Ah yes, taking baby's first picture, 10 photos for baby's first step, another 10 photos for baby's first mess, 50 photos for baby's first xmas, etc.

As the rule goes, there are approximately 88,000 pictures of my oldest sister from her first two years of life and another 88,000 pictures documenting her from age 2 to around 10.

There are approximately a few hundred pictures of my 2nd sister. There are approximately a dozen family pictures of me from birth to age 18 (3rd child).

This is a VERY common phenomena. I know some 3rd/4th children and there are absolutely zero photos of them at all growing up.
While there will always be a fall off, I suspect digital media and social media will reduce it.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 07:33 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
While there will always be a fall off, I suspect digital media and social media will reduce it.
Reduce?
More like amplify it by ten or a hundred, no? Although those are digital copies which never end up as physical copies.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 05:32 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Reduce?
More like amplify it by ten or a hundred, no? Although those are digital copies which never end up as physical copies.
Reduce the younger sibling fall off in terms of parental documentation.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 06:54 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I don't see any evidence of that.

My 16 year old niece (3rd child) has virtually no family photos of her growing up. Keep in mind that both of her parents have had cell phone cameras the whole time she's been alive - and mother is active on Facebook for most of that time.

It seems to me that social media is obsessed with the self. Most social media photos are selfies.
Old Nov 24th 2016, 07:43 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Well, that being anecdotal aside, facebook dates only back to 2004, and was largely limited to college students at least through 2006. (When I started college in 2006 you had to have a college email to join).

I'm not saying that younger kids will get the same kind of attention and documentation, simply that the fall off will be lessened.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

For anyone who's interested, I've finally gotten into Civilization 5. It took a while for me to discover that the game can and usually does turn into a monster war-fest in the 20th century, and that's exactly what I like best about playing the game.

So now I play as a nice peacemonger chasing culture, religion and science until around 1900, then I go on a rampage and make war against anyone/everyone/anything just so I can use all my aircraft carriers, submarines, battleships, tanks, paratroopers, etc.

Best part of all is that I've found that the AI actually uses aircraft carriers correctly, which is something the game has failed at in versions Civ1-4.

I really like playing the "Large Islands" map setting - that forces the major warmongers to have a big navy (I have a naval war fetish). I took on 1st place Rome in the mid-20th century and destroyed 16 battleships and 5 carriers before launching my amphibious invasion of the Roman homeland. It was wonderful fun!

Also, the game points system massively rewards warmongers - I was trying to figure out how I could get past 3000 points in the game. It seems that taking over a bunch of cities and creating puppet states late in the game is necessary to get a high score.
Old Nov 25th 2016, 08:59 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

And a slightly belated, Happy Thanksgiving to all our American friends.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 06:44 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Reading comprehension, the gift that keeps giving.

Until you're 50....
Old Nov 26th 2016, 09:37 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
For anyone who's interested, I've finally gotten into Civilization 5. It took a while for me to discover that the game can and usually does turn into a monster war-fest in the 20th century, and that's exactly what I like best about playing the game.

So now I play as a nice peacemonger chasing culture, religion and science until around 1900, then I go on a rampage and make war against anyone/everyone/anything just so I can use all my aircraft carriers, submarines, battleships, tanks, paratroopers, etc.

Best part of all is that I've found that the AI actually uses aircraft carriers correctly, which is something the game has failed at in versions Civ1-4.

I really like playing the "Large Islands" map setting - that forces the major warmongers to have a big navy (I have a naval war fetish). I took on 1st place Rome in the mid-20th century and destroyed 16 battleships and 5 carriers before launching my amphibious invasion of the Roman homeland. It was wonderful fun!

Also, the game points system massively rewards warmongers - I was trying to figure out how I could get past 3000 points in the game. It seems that taking over a bunch of cities and creating puppet states late in the game is necessary to get a high score.
I'm glad the game is growing on you.
Old Nov 26th 2016, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I'm glad the game is growing on you.
How goes your venture with CK?