Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old May 1st 2016, 08:16 AM
Resident Historian

Default Re: Random post VII: the randomness awakens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
In case anyone didn't know yet, on May 9th Stellaris is coming out. This is a brand new title from the Paradox Studios who are renowned for Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and other such challenging games. But Stellaris is a space game which is a new avenue for them.
From what I heard and saw left and right it'll be like Alien Crossfire meets Civilization meets Space Empires meets Europa Universalis. In other words, big and deep (hey, that's what she said). The hype is huge but with Paradox there's every possibility that it will live up to expectations.
I'm really looking forward to seeing what they put out, even though I've never managed to get deeply into any of the other Paradox games (I intend to try again with CKII if I ever find the time to really get a handle on its systems).

What I've seen of Stellaris looks like its going to try to smoothly transition from a more traditional 4X game (e.g. Civilization, Master of Orion, etc) in the early stages of play when you're polity is very, very small to a grand strategy game (CK, EU, etc) in the later stages as your empire gets too large to micro-manage. That might make it a perfect gateway experience for players like myself who are pretty well versed in Civ. and the like to transition over to Paradox's style of grand strategy.

I certainly don't plan to buy it at release, but I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews and "Let's play"s on YouTube
Old May 1st 2016, 10:24 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
In case anyone didn't know yet, on May 9th Stellaris is coming out. This is a brand new title from the Paradox Studios who are renowned for Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron and other such challenging games. But Stellaris is a space game which is a new avenue for them.
From what I heard and saw left and right it'll be like Alien Crossfire meets Civilization meets Space Empires meets Europa Universalis. In other words, big and deep (hey, that's what she said). The hype is huge but with Paradox there's every possibility that it will live up to expectations.
Sounds very interesting. I'll definitely check it out.
Old May 3rd 2016, 11:19 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I'm really looking forward to seeing what they put out, even though I've never managed to get deeply into any of the other Paradox games (I intend to try again with CKII if I ever find the time to really get a handle on its systems).

What I've seen of Stellaris looks like its going to try to smoothly transition from a more traditional 4X game (e.g. Civilization, Master of Orion, etc) in the early stages of play when you're polity is very, very small to a grand strategy game (CK, EU, etc) in the later stages as your empire gets too large to micro-manage. That might make it a perfect gateway experience for players like myself who are pretty well versed in Civ. and the like to transition over to Paradox's style of grand strategy.

I certainly don't plan to buy it at release, but I'll be keeping an eye out for reviews and "Let's play"s on YouTube
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Sounds very interesting. I'll definitely check it out.
There's already plenty of information out there. There's the developer diaries with pretty good information and there have been and are single player and multiplayer streams at their Twitch and Youtube accounts. Both the latter are 90% silliness, insider jokes and early Stellaris meme stuff though. You won't have a clue what they're talking about unless you watch from the first and watch all of it. And for serious consideration of gameplay it's not really worth it.

I must admit I bought into the hype somewhat and even pre-ordered the game. I never do that. In fact, most of my games are years old when I eventually buy them. But this appears to be exactly what I've always wanted to play.
Old May 4th 2016, 01:39 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
I must admit I bought into the hype somewhat and even pre-ordered the game. I never do that. In fact, most of my games are years old when I eventually buy them. But this appears to be exactly what I've always wanted to play.
I look forward to hearing what you think!
Old May 4th 2016, 08:22 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Speaking of games, I've finally found a way to enjoy Civ5.

I find that if I play 'tall' with just two cities, focus on science, culture and growing my population (and peacemongering) for most of the game, then in the 19th century when the 'good' weapons start coming available, I launch a blitzkrieg to take out the capital of any civ that has a strong culture.

I've been getting some very good victory scores (culture victory) doing this. And it is fun for me because I really enjoy the late-period warfare stuff (battleships, carriers, aircraft, artillery, tanks and infantry).
Old May 4th 2016, 09:26 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Speaking of games, I've finally found a way to enjoy Civ5.

I find that if I play 'tall' with just two cities, focus on science, culture and growing my population (and peacemongering) for most of the game, then in the 19th century when the 'good' weapons start coming available, I launch a blitzkrieg to take out the capital of any civ that has a strong culture.

I've been getting some very good victory scores (culture victory) doing this. And it is fun for me because I really enjoy the late-period warfare stuff (battleships, carriers, aircraft, artillery, tanks and infantry).
I always preferred to play "tall" rather than "wide." Making tall empires (or even one-city empires) truly viable was one of my favorite things about Civ V. My favorite playthroughs have been as Venice or as a one-city-challenge with another empire (the Shoshone are surprisingly good for that).

Some day I'd like to try out the Community Patch Project mod (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...patch-project/) and see what that's like. Unfortunately, I don't have all the DLC to make it work, so I'll have to wait until some really great Steam Sale when they all get marked down to $2 or something.
Old May 5th 2016, 10:33 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I look forward to hearing what you think!
While it's still four days to release , there's a number of aspects of the game which already stand out.

While they've made a point of not showing them as much as possible in order to avoid spoilers we know there's a plethora of so-called anomalies in the early exploring phase of the game. All sorts of unique artefacts and things one can find scattered throughout the universe giving sometimes unique advantages but also unique risks.

The most impressive aspect I've seen so far and to my knowledge unique to any game is the concept of Fallen Empires. These are ancient empires existing from the start of the game with very advanced technology which you have no hope of contesting in the early or even middle game. They are isolationist but might still react if you're upsetting them somehow. In the latest multiplayer stream it was illustrated just how much of a challenge they are. There were 22 human players, 10 AI players and three such Fallen Empires. An alliance of no less than 16 of the human players attacked one of the Fallen Empires with their full might and .... they got utterly thrashed
The AI seems very competent to say the least.

Players of EU will know that the late game can get tedious, if not outright boring. To avoid this in Stellaris they have introduced late game crises. While there are few specifics known, they're supposed to completely upset the balance of things in late game galaxy wide and pose a threat even to the strongest and most 'blobbed' empire.

Dis gunna be good I think
Old May 5th 2016, 11:17 AM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
I always preferred to play "tall" rather than "wide." Making tall empires (or even one-city empires) truly viable was one of my favorite things about Civ V. My favorite playthroughs have been as Venice or as a one-city-challenge with another empire (the Shoshone are surprisingly good for that).

Some day I'd like to try out the Community Patch Project mod (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/201...patch-project/) and see what that's like. Unfortunately, I don't have all the DLC to make it work, so I'll have to wait until some really great Steam Sale when they all get marked down to $2 or something.
yeah, my Venice game was actually one of the most entertaining games I've had in a while in Civ. It was especially so because I usually play wide so it was a brand new experience for me.
Old May 5th 2016, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Yes, I always play tall - it is my natural inclination. And playing Venice one-city thing seems way too easy (culture or diplomacy victories) - its like playing Poland or Greece - almost impossible to lose a game with those civs!

I have found that my 2-city tall is very, very powerful. I don't even build my 2nd city until AFTER I build the National College (and Great Library and Stonehenge). I like the 2nd city just so I can send food caravan back to my capitol for faster pop growth. I like my capitol to break '40' population and my 2nd city to break '30' by the beginning of 20th century.

If I have a 3rd city, it is always one that I've gotten 'gifted' to me from some war I was allied in and it comes with the peace treaty. I often get 2-3 of them over the course of the game and usually leave them as puppets - unless one is really good. I often sell/trade these puppet cities away, if I can get a good price for them.

Quote:
Wow - that looks very good. Just rebalancing the civ's alone would be worth it. Poland and Greece have super-fantastic civ-bonuses and none of the other civ's have anything to compare with them.

Poland gets 5 or 6 free culture policies each game - that's a huge benefit - plus that special 'ducal' stable is a great building. With the Greeks, it is super easy to have a dozen or more city states as rock-solid allies for most of the game. The amount of happy faces, culture, faith, luxuries and strategic resources coming in each turn is huge, and one totally owns the World Congress. With Greece, I've been able to vote in my own religion as the 'world religion' with that huge tourism boost - even though my capitol is the ONLY city in the world with that religion! That's Greece for ya.

So I'm all in favor of rebalancing the civ's. And many of the other features look interesting.
Old May 6th 2016, 08:42 AM
Resident Historian

Maybe not Dominick's taste, but here's a Let's Play of Stellaris by my favorite YouTube personality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TI9tzLD8WQ. Not something I'd sit down and watch all the way through, but it makes good background listening to get a feel for what playing is like.

He does a lot of EU IV and Civilization V content, so expect lots of comparisons to those games.