Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Apr 24th 2018, 05:09 PM
Citizen

Default Duke ('93) vs. Georgetown ('91)

Duke University and Georgetown University both boast incredible and prestigious and storied men's college basketball (NCAA) teams.

The Duke University Blue Devils, coached by the legendary Mike Krzyzewski (aka, 'Coach K') have won a whopping 5 national titles and countless regular-season ACC titles and ACC tournament-wins. This was all done in the Coach K era.

The Georgetown University Hoyas have boasted incredible NBA talents (Patrick Ewing, Allen Iverson, Alonzo Mourning, and Dikembe Mutombo). The Hoyas were coached by the great John Thompson who guided the careers of all four of the above-mentioned NBA standouts.

Though the Blue Devils and the Hoyas are both 'culturally-storied' NCAAB programs, they've both struggled in many respects and have had to surmount challenges to achieve their laurels and honors.

Duke won the national title in 1991, 1992, 2001, 2010, and 2015, while Georgetown won one national title in 1984 under John Thompson (when future NBA Hall-of-Famer Patrick Ewing was the star-center).

However, Duke had a complex season in 1993, when they lost some of their key talents, leaving undermanned and somewhat small guard Bobby Hurley to lead the team to glory. Though Hurley stunned the nation with an amazing early-season run with a string of victories that saw Duke hoisted to a #1 national ranking, in the end, Duke fell short.

Likewise, Georgetown had a shadowed 1991 season even though their stars Alonzo Mourning and Dikembe Mutombo were the featured talents under John Thompson. Georgetown lost the Big East final to rival Seton Hall and then was knocked out of the NCAA tournament to the eventual semifinal-loser UNLV (who lost to the eventual champion --- Duke --- that year!).

Nevertheless, the Blue Devils and the Hoyas represent some of the very best in NCAA prestige and honors, which is why sports-writers talk about the symbolic if challenging/disappointing Duke '93 season and Georgetown '91 season as 'franchise-iconic.'

So how will this sort of American collegiate athletics idealism/optimism in the domain of sports-marketing reflect the modern media age allure of dominant sports-culture themed Hollywood (USA) films such as Jerry Maguire (Tom Cruise) and Blue Chips (Nick Nolte)?

Perhaps there's something 'democratic' about media/consumerism...

{hypothetical dialogue}
====

COACH K: We had outstanding Duke squads in 1991 and 1992.
JOHN THOMPSON: Yes, but you struggled in 1993 and 1994.
COACH K: It wasn't until 2001 that we won the national title again!
JOHN THOMPSON: Duke burst onto the scene in 1991; everyone cheered.
COACH K: There were high expectations indeed...
JOHN THOMPSON: Though you won 5 titles in the long run.
COACH K: And you've coached NBA powerhouses (e.g., Ewing/Iverson).
JOHN THOMSPON: Yes. I'm very proud of what they've accomplished!
COACH K: Many sports-writers compare Duke to Georgetown.
JOHN THOMPSON: I think that's because both programs celebrate teamwork.
COACH K: Yes, though you've produced superstars...
JOHN THOMPSON: And you've choreographed several winning teams!
COACH K: I wonder how our programs will benefit the NCAA in general.
JOHN THOMPSON: I think people will favour our brand of teamwork-media.
COACH K: I think you're probably correct; storytellers like optimism.
JOHN THOMPSON: They sure do; modern media is all about fables.
COACH K: Consumerism creates a demand for 'aesthetics' (I think).
JOHN THOMPSON: That's why sports-writers like Coach!

====