Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Dec 21st 2012, 01:18 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: One world government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean ?
I mean that I'm sure that you know some Belgians that have not been involved in really serious cases. I mean that there are degrees of seriousness.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 05:21 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Every comparative corruption ranking system uses the Transparency International data given that it is the most rigorous data available.

This ranking uses that data as well as other data. Belgium is 12th. Greece is 74th place, tied with Columbia and India. Seems about right to me.

http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm

Btw, when I see these rankings, I always get upset that poor Canada is dragged down so far by Quebec. Canada should be up near the very top rank, but Quebec culture is built on corruption, so Canada's overall number gets dragged down.
Old Dec 21st 2012, 07:00 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Every comparative corruption ranking system uses the Transparency International data given that it is the most rigorous data available.

This ranking uses that data as well as other data. Belgium is 12th. Greece is 74th place, tied with Columbia and India. Seems about right to me.

http://www.worldaudit.org/corruption.htm
It's still the same problem; it's merely perceptions and no actual data. Belgium at 12 is a joke. Italy is at 56 and that's just about where Belgium belongs. I suppose Belgium is so high because no one pays any attention to it and thus the perception is positive.

And Switzerland at 6 ? The money laundry for the criminals and dictators of the entire world?
Old Dec 21st 2012, 07:09 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I mean that I'm sure that you know some Belgians that have not been involved in really serious cases. I mean that there are degrees of seriousness.
That depends on what you call serious. Every time I need to register a car for getting the plates I shift a modest amount in the application form. That way I get my plates six weeks earlier than 'normal'. (I'm not really sure what 'normal' is though as everyone does that).
Is that serious ? It's institutionalized corruption for sure.

A container company a few miles down the road bribes the mayor of the city so they can dump the content of those containers in an illegal landfill instead of putting them through the complex and costly process they're supposed to. Is that serious ? Environmentalists certainly feel so.

A Brussels University sells degrees for 25,000 to people that can afford it. is that serious ? An honest academic would certainly feel so.

Half of the government was bribed in order that they would chose Italian Augusta military helicopters over the competition. Is that serious?
Old Dec 22nd 2012, 11:52 AM
Globetrotter

So isn't anyone discussing the One World Government in this thread anymore???
If we were living in such a one world nation, then the rich parts would have bailed out Greece already and imposed law and order there.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:15 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
So isn't anyone discussing the One World Government in this thread anymore???
If we were living in such a one world nation, then the rich parts would have bailed out Greece already and imposed law and order there.
Why would they be doing that?

EU is practically one nation and the rich parts are categorically refusing to bail out Greece. Greece has a debt problem - the only solution offered by EU is to give Greece more debt.

Btw, you appear to be misunderstanding the economics of "one nation". If EU was truly one nation, Greece wouldn't have a debt problem because they'd have no government of their own to incur the debt. Greeks of course refuse to give up their own government, so that's why there is no "one world government" or even "one EU government".
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:45 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Why would they be doing that?

EU is practically one nation and the rich parts are categorically refusing to bail out Greece. Greece has a debt problem - the only solution offered by EU is to give Greece more debt.

Btw, you appear to be misunderstanding the economics of "one nation". If EU was truly one nation, Greece wouldn't have a debt problem because they'd have no government of their own to incur the debt. Greeks of course refuse to give up their own government, so that's why there is no "one world government" or even "one EU government".
I am thinking more in terms of a federal nation. For example, in the united states the central government bails out local states when they get in trouble.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:59 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I am thinking more in terms of a federal nation. For example, in the united states the central government bails out local states when they get in trouble.
It does? States issue their own bonds and I've never heard of a federal guarantee. Nor do states guarantee county or muni bonds.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:02 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
It is against the US constitution for most US States to contract debt. They are required by law to balance their budgets.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 11:04 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
It does? States issue their own bonds and I've never heard of a federal guarantee. Nor do states guarantee county or muni bonds.
really? So california can go bankrupt and the federal government won't bail it out??