Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Feb 5th 2012, 03:29 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Default Re: I say LGB, not LGBT

There is yet another factor to consider in all of this and that is the cases of lesbians who are born male. I didn't really consider this even a possibility until I was talking to a colleague about it. Apparently, some men are born lesbians and feel that they need to have sexual corrective surgery to become female lesbians. It's so far out of my zone of my own lived experience that I hadn't even considered it possible. Now, I don't know of any examples of the opposite, women who are born as gay men and need to change to become a sexual male in order to feel comfortable in themselves. All of this really throws the issue into a new light for me and is actually one of the reasons why I have sympathy for people who feel the need, and it is indeed a need for them, to change their sex. I can't imagine how awful it would feel to be alienated not just by society but also by your own body.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 03:42 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
There is yet another factor to consider in all of this and that is the cases of lesbians who are born male. I didn't really consider this even a possibility until I was talking to a colleague about it. Apparently, some men are born lesbians and feel that they need to have sexual corrective surgery to become female lesbians. It's so far out of my zone of my own lived experience that I hadn't even considered it possible. Now, I don't know of any examples of the opposite, women who are born as gay men and need to change to become a sexual male in order to feel comfortable in themselves. All of this really throws the issue into a new light for me and is actually one of the reasons why I have sympathy for people who feel the need, and it is indeed a need for them, to change their sex. I can't imagine how awful it would feel to be alienated not just by society but also by your own body.
Why didn't you consider it a possibility? Did you think that it was all a question of gay people who changed their sex in order to be straight?
Old Feb 5th 2012, 05:00 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Translated into English, Greendruid was absolutely flabbergastered when he learned that some heterosexual people want to change their sex.

Greendruid, why didn't you consider it a possibility that some men are born lesbians and feel that they need to have sexual corrective surgery to become female lesbians? I really am interested in the answer to that question.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:16 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I recently met one of the opposite types - one who was born genetically female, but she considers herself to be a gay male. She is undergoing full sex change operation to become male, so she can be with gay males.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 10:43 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I recently met one of the opposite types - one who was born genetically female, but she considers herself to be a gay male. She is undergoing full sex change operation to become male, so she can be with gay males.
So what? We're always being told that orientation isn't the issue when it comes to sex change. In other words, the existance of heterosexual people who want to change sex is about as surprising as the existance of gay train drivers.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:44 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I don't see why it would be surprising. It's got to be very rare (just given the stats on homosexuality and transgender), but it would be rather surprising to think that it DIDN'T occur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Translated into English, Greendruid was absolutely flabbergastered when he learned that some heterosexual people want to change their sex.

Greendruid, why didn't you consider it a possibility that some men are born lesbians and feel that they need to have sexual corrective surgery to become female lesbians? I really am interested in the answer to that question.
Your language indicates that you are still not understanding transgender. Some men aren't born lesbians. Some lesbians are born into male bodies.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:58 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Some men aren't born lesbians.
No kidding
Old Feb 5th 2012, 11:59 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
No kidding
It's considered rude and dishonest to quote part of posts out of context.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:00 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Oh for God's sake, have a word with yourself.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Indeed it is. And that was a particularly blatant example of it.