Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Sep 12th 2013, 11:53 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Norway 2013 election

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What does 'get the initiative for' mean exactly?
The leader of the biggest party initiates all talks, decides who gets invited to talk to, who's left out and so on. That happens even when there's no snowball's chance in hell of these talks being successful as was the case in Belgium in 2010 (Flemish nationalists in a federal government is like having the Nazis in a Jewish council).

What "normally" would happen in Norway is that Stoltenberg would have talks with parties with whom he could form a majority. In this particular case that would have to include the Conservative Party. After all, a Conservative-Social Democrat coalition is far from unique in Europe, in fact it's common. That this isn't even considered and that Solberg is immediately put forward while only being the second biggest party is quite unusual in Western democracies.
Old Sep 13th 2013, 11:20 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
The leader of the biggest party initiates all talks, decides who gets invited to talk to, who's left out and so on. That happens even when there's no snowball's chance in hell of these talks being successful as was the case in Belgium in 2010 (Flemish nationalists in a federal government is like having the Nazis in a Jewish council).

What "normally" would happen in Norway is that Stoltenberg would have talks with parties with whom he could form a majority. In this particular case that would have to include the Conservative Party. After all, a Conservative-Social Democrat coalition is far from unique in Europe, in fact it's common. That this isn't even considered and that Solberg is immediately put forward while only being the second biggest party is quite unusual in Western democracies.
That thing that I've put in bold - I can't see what could be considered scandalous about such talks not taking place. It sounds to me as if the model used in Norway, which you seem to think is so rare, is just taking a short cut past a bit of red tape.

There is nothing to stop Solberg picking up the telephone to Stoltenberg and proposing a coalition, and there's nothing to stop Stoltenberg picking up the phone to Solberg and proposing a coalition. They just don't see the point, and the electorate knew very well about this before the election. I cannot understand what problem anyone might have with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Roughly the EU-15 for starters.
And do you know for a fact that in Sweden and Denmark the system isn't exactly the same as in Norway? I don't know, I'm just asking you?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 07:22 AM
Globetrotter

The leader of Hyre, Erna Solberg, is Norway's new Prime Minister, and the leader of Fremskrittspartiet, Siv Jensen, is Norway's new Finance Minister.
Those two parties comprise the new coalition government, and they also get parliamentary support from Venstre and Kristerlig Folkeparti (in return for some policies), meaning they have majority support in parliament.
http://www.nrk.no/norge/disse-18-ska...rge-1.11300306
Old Oct 16th 2013, 07:49 AM
Citizen

Hello, everyone. My account is still active it seems. Neat.

I guess I'm alright with the result, although there are a couple of ministers I would like to put on a boat to Svalbard with no return ticket. I did vote, but for a completely irrelevant party, just to participate. I'm not surprised FrP is linked to Breivik in international newspapers. It's completely off mark, however. The proposed changes with regards to immigration policies are hardly extreme, but that's what happens when a party enters a coalition. They all converge, blend in, and fail to deliver. I'm stuck with the feeling that the election doesn't matter much, as the EU and the UN pull the strings anyway.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplum View Post
Hello, everyone. My account is still active it seems. Neat.
Of course it is Aarstad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiplum View Post
I guess I'm alright with the result, although there are a couple of ministers I would like to put on a boat to Svalbard with no return ticket. I did vote, but for a completely irrelevant party, just to participate. I'm not surprised FrP is linked to Breivik in international newspapers. It's completely off mark, however. The proposed changes with regards to immigration policies are hardly extreme, but that's what happens when a party enters a coalition. They all converge, blend in, and fail to deliver. I'm stuck with the feeling that the election doesn't matter much, as the EU and the UN pull the strings anyway.
Personally I think the 'consensus-obsession' of coalition governments is what makes parties blend in and fail to deliver.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 09:34 AM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Of course it is Aarstad.
Nice to see this place is doing well, Michael!

Quote:
Personally I think the 'consensus-obsession' of coalition governments is what makes parties blend in and fail to deliver.
It was the same with the last coalition government we had. The two minor parties lost a lot of voters in the last election. These migrated to fringe parties, for the most part. A new "green" party made a huge entry, mostly with Oslo-hipsters. FrP is already moderating themselves a lot, which I think is a bad thing. I disagree very much with them on a lot of things - fiscal policies especially, but they did get to play the part who said "screw your feelings, this isn't working for us". They will fail to deliver on immigration, taxes and infrastructure, and grow into a "mini-me" verison of their larger coalition partner. International agreements and self-governance don't go well together, and I don't see the "crazier" party in this case getting any elbow room due to EU and UN regulations.

Well, at least we're not Sweden.