Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Closed Thread

Old Dec 6th 2016, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Nah it's more than that. I think there is a nihilism running through our democracy right now that wasn't there with Bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I think we're a world away from where the nation was with W. Remember, Bush ran after being the successful governor of the country's second largest state, his calling card was "compassionate conservatism," and if it hadn't been for 9/11 his first term priority was going to be passing comprehensive immigration reform.

Trump is the very antithesis of all that.
I think you guys are missing the point. The people asking me the question are not looking for in-depth explanations. They are just like Trump voters themselves - they just want a simple answer they can understand and this answer always satisfies them.

Btw, I see a huge amount of continuity between Bush 43 and Trump's incoming administration. For both administrations, the big policy goal appears to be to loot the treasury and enrich their friends as much as humanly possible.

Although Trump's various appointees may be ideological extremists, they are exactly the same kind of people Bush 43 appointed. Grifters, industry insiders, Goldman Sach flunkies and wingnuts. Not much different than Trump's appointees. Same game, same party, same policies.
Old Dec 6th 2016, 06:14 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Report: Trump's NatSec Pick Pushed Fake News 16 Times Since August

Retired Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, President-elect Donald Trump's pick for national security advisor, has reportedly promoted conspiracy theories and unfounded accusations at least 16 times since August.

Flynn used his Twitter account in recent months to push unproven and outrageous allegations about top Democrats, according to a Politico report published Tuesday.

The report cited Flynn's retweet of a post claiming that Hillary Clinton "secretly waged war" on the Catholic Church and another which called President Barack Obama a "jihadi" who "laundered" money for Muslim terrorists in Iran.

Flynn promoted a claim that John Podesta, Clinton's campaign manager, took part in occult rituals involving bodily fluids. He also posted tweets suggesting that Clinton's emails contained information on "Money Laundering, Sex Crimes w Children, etc" and asking readers to "decide" for themselves based on a "MUST READ" article by True Pundit, a fake news site.

During the presidential campaign, True Pundit pushed the false claim that Clinton wore an earpiece during a debate. The site broke into the mainstream after publishing a bizarre conspiracy theory that Clinton led a child sex trafficking ring run from the basement of a Washington, D.C. pizza restaurant, which Flynn promoted a week before the election.
Source

And this report is coming from a Republican hack-media organization (Politico) who probably reported and repeated every one of those fake news stories!

Holy shit this is going to be a long fucking four years!
Old Dec 6th 2016, 10:20 PM
Globetrotter

Personally I think this is on a whole new level compared to Bush. Bush was still classic politics. The Trump phenomenon is driven by sheer insanity. If you read the blueprint for the Bush era, i.e. the PNAC report, it was definitely extreme and authoritarian but it was still based on logic and reason. It was a rational construct and could be debated.

None of that now. Now it's kathaksung (remember him?) in one of the most powerful positions in the world. Just like it was the case with him there's no point in debating Trump or his cronies. Almost nothing amongst the farts which emanate from his brain substitute is rooted in reality. In the Bush era it were the hardcore rightwingers in charge but now it's the conspiracy theorists. Some of the cabinet members are downright nutters (e.g. Flynn, Carson, Bannon..). This is a whole new chapter in Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds. This is people paying 4600 florins for a tulip bulb and being convinced it's a good deal.

And while every remaining functioning brain cell in the world screams out "This cannot last" the question is who or what is going to stop it. There's no media left worth the name, social media where the most idiotic things are gospel is their turf, corporations are profiting from it or like Facebook are accessories to the crime and international diplomacy has representatives such as Boris Johnson who's part and parcel of the same phenomenon.

That is indeed another difference with the Bush era. Apart from Blair -but most certainly not 'Britain'- Bush had to face much opposition in the world. Trump won't as many of the US allies have fallen to the same disease. Not even Duterte, who's already committing genocide, is considered to be too extreme. The unhinged will go unchecked.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 10:02 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Kathaksung. There's a blast from the preferably forgotten past.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:17 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Kathaksung. There's a blast from the preferably forgotten past.
He's still active actually though I can't remember on which site I saw him last.
Old Dec 7th 2016, 11:23 PM
Globetrotter

I hope Mosul will be liberated before Jan, 20th. The Iraqis and Kurds seem to be taking things slow enough in order to minimize civilian casualties even if that costs themselves up to 10,000 casualties so far. If Mad Dog or rather Rabid Lunatic takes over there might be hundreds of thousands casualties. That would create ten new Daesh'es.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 09:58 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

Given my known interest/knowlege of US politics, I can't say how many people have asked me to explain this Trump victory thing to them. I say simply, remember, they elected George W Fucking Bush - twice. They apparently like electing idiots/morons.
True, true, but then Obama was elected twice.

In his earlier days Trump sounded something like a peacenik, and even more recently he's made noises about détente with Russia and US withdrawal from the Mid-East.

Machiavelli said "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

This is probably grasping at the weakest of straws, but Is it possible that Trump's appointments of alleged warmongers Gen. Michael Flynn to National Security advisor and Gen. James Mattis to Defense Secretary, and General John Kelly and other generals to government posts, is a conscious effort to neutralize neocon warmongers?
Old Dec 8th 2016, 10:53 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
True, true, but then Obama was elected twice.

In his earlier days Trump sounded something like a peacenik, and even more recently he's made noises about détente with Russia and US withdrawal from the Mid-East.

Machiavelli said "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer."

This is probably grasping at the weakest of straws, but Is it possible that Trump's appointments of alleged warmongers Gen. Michael Flynn to National Security advisor and Gen. James Mattis to Defense Secretary, and General John Kelly and other generals to government posts, is a conscious effort to neutralize neocon warmongers?
Back in the rational world littering a regime with generals is called setting up a military junta.
Old Dec 8th 2016, 02:03 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Back in the rational world littering a regime with generals is called setting up a military junta.
That's good to know.

(Btw, where can I find "the rational world"?)
Old Dec 9th 2016, 02:59 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Hooray, the Democrats are urged to stop paying taxes:
http://theantimedia.org/hillary-reas...-paying-taxes/

Hundreds of thousands of Democrat tax rebels might make The Great Satan's military adventures unaffordable.