Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 09:15 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Stieg Larsson

Stieg Larsson is the hottest thing to come out of Sweden since Abba - and he died a few years before he became famous.

He wrote 3 crime novels, about the rebellious female detective Lisbet Salander, and they are now big hits in Europe.

A Swedish dramatisation has been filmed, and soon an American one will be.

However, this thread is about the writer, and his output is the novels rather than the onscreen adaptations.

And they are awesome - if you want to properly get into a read, then this man is for you - he is brilliant.

Stieg Larsson!!!

I welcome talk about the upcoming film, but I'm more interested in talking about the novels!
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:09 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

I haven't read them myself, but they do seem to have lit a small fire here as well.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 12:17 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I haven't read them myself, but they do seem to have lit a small fire here as well.
As long as you're speaking figuratively, I'm very glad to hear it. I think you would prefer them over Dan Brown. They are much more intricate
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 02:31 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
As long as you're speaking figuratively, I'm very glad to hear it. I think you would prefer them over Dan Brown. They are much more intricate
And better written, from what I hear!
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 08:16 PM
nanacat's Avatar
nanacat nanacat is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Southern Florida, USA
Posts: 175
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think you would prefer them over Dan Brown. They are much more intricate
I've read all three books of the Millenium Trilogy--they are absolutely wonderful. I've read that he had planned a series of 10 books. I can't believe this brilliant man died at age 50, just as he deposited the three books with his editor. What a literary loss.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but Dan Brown is a hack. A third rate writer who lucked into one far-fetched but wildly successful idea. There is no way you can put him in the same ballpark as Larson.

BTW, I've also seen the three Swedish films--not so hot. Like others, I'm looking forward to the American (British?) version.
__________________
Joy is the most infallible sign of the presence of God.--Leon Bloy
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jul 27th 2011, 08:34 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanacat View Post
I've read all three books of the Millenium Trilogy--they are absolutely wonderful. I've read that he had planned a series of 10 books. I can't believe this brilliant man died at age 50, just as he deposited the three books with his editor. What a literary loss.

And not to put too fine a point on it, but Dan Brown is a hack. A third rate writer who lucked into one far-fetched but wildly successful idea. There is no way you can put him in the same ballpark as Larson.
After making the mistake of reading his best effort, I think you're giving Dan Brown way too much credit. That's an insult to honest third-rate hacks.

Quote:
BTW, I've also seen the three Swedish films--not so hot. Like others, I'm looking forward to the American (British?) version.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:13 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

I loved the first 2 books, but was very disappointed with the last 1. The Fredriksson stalking Berger storyline was, from what I could see, totally pointless and irrelevant to the rest of the plot.

But apart from that, just far more boring than the first 2. I believe that if Stieg Larsson had lived he would have returned to form.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 11th 2014, 01:23 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

This post is about that old phenomenon films not living up to the books they were based on.

By the way, I'm not blaming anyone - film makers are people, and want to make money - and people who watch films aren't going to be put off by the fact that the film is based on a book - so I'm blaming no one, I'm just making an observation.

As I said, films not living up to the books on which they are based is nothing new. However, in the case of Stieg Larsson this is probably especially significant.

3-5 years ago, Stieg Larsson (who sadly died before his books obtained fame) was the renouned author of two books (plus a not-so-special third) which people who read usually found brilliant. More and more people were, out of curiosity, buying his books, and agreeing that Stieg Larsson really was something more than the ordinary crime writer.

Today, Stieg Larsson is no longer accumulating new fans, and young people who weren't old enough to read him when his fame was at its peak, won't be interested.

Why is this? It's very simple - when you mention Stieg Larsson to people, they've invariably "seen the film".

Stieg Larsson's two first books are regarded by most people who read them, as brilliant, the films are not. - This frankly, should be regarded as a professional failure on behalf of the film makers, albeit not as a money failure.

Clearly, after seeing the film, knowing the gist of what happens, reading the book isn't the same at all, and certainly isn't as interesting a prospect.

In short, the films really have curtailed the huge acclaim which Stieg Larsson otherwise would have, and which he indeed did have among the people who were lucky enough to read his books before the high-profile films took to the cinemas / movie theaters.

Please spread the word, if someone watches a film based on Stieg Larsson's books, they are depriving themselves of a monumental reading experience.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Aug 11th 2014 at 01:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 11th 2014, 06:42 AM
shekib82 shekib82 is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3,134
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
This post is about that old phenomenon films not living up to the books they were based on.

By the way, I'm not blaming anyone - film makers are people, and want to make money - and people who watch films aren't going to be put off by the fact that the film is based on a book - so I'm blaming no one, I'm just making an observation.

As I said, films not living up to the books on which they are based is nothing new. However, in the case of Stieg Larsson this is probably especially significant.

3-5 years ago, Stieg Larsson (who sadly died before his books obtained fame) was the renouned author of two books (plus a not-so-special third) which people who read usually found brilliant. More and more people were, out of curiosity, buying his books, and agreeing that Stieg Larsson really was something more than the ordinary crime writer.

Today, Stieg Larsson is no longer accumulating new fans, and young people who weren't old enough to read him when his fame was at its peak, won't be interested.

Why is this? It's very simple - when you mention Stieg Larsson to people, they've invariably "seen the film".

Stieg Larsson's two first books are regarded by most people who read them, as brilliant, the films are not. - This frankly, should be regarded as a professional failure on behalf of the film makers, albeit not as a money failure.

Clearly, after seeing the film, knowing the gist of what happens, reading the book isn't the same at all, and certainly isn't as interesting a prospect.

In short, the films really have curtailed the huge acclaim which Stieg Larsson otherwise would have, and which he indeed did have among the people who were lucky enough to read his books before the high-profile films took to the cinemas / movie theaters.

Please spread the word, if someone watches a film based on Stieg Larsson's books, they are depriving themselves of a monumental reading experience.
I had read the first book some time before the film came out. I concur with your analysis that the book is better than the film. This is also true of the Da Vinci Code. The book was also better than the film.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 11th 2014, 09:52 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Stieg Larsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I had read the first book some time before the film came out. I concur with your analysis that the book is better than the film. This is also true of the Da Vinci Code. The book was also better than the film.
Regarding Larsson, virtually everyone who has watched the film or read the book regard the book as brilliant (notice that word) and the film as decent at best. The problem is that people who haven't watched or seen either, end up watching the film, and therefore don't read the book. The film thus becomes a barrier to a wonderful reading experience.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com