Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

View Poll Results: Do you want to hear songs in lots of languages?
Yes 2 50.00%
No 1 25.00%
No, because I want to understand the lyrics 1 25.00%
I don't care, I just like voting in polls. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old May 17th 2014, 04:37 PM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
And one more thing - Conchita is top of the Russian record charts.
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/...514-zrcso.html
So what? Plenty of people here still listen to Verka Serdyuchka... Yet gays and transvestites still face violence every day
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old May 18th 2014, 09:35 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
So what? Plenty of people here still listen to Verka Serdyuchka... Yet gays and transvestites still face violence every day
Well, that bigoted violence is obviously something that you and I consider very unfortunate - very unfortunate indeed.

But with respect, my post was about one specific gay person, rather than gay people in general - Conchita.

You see one would have thought from reports that Conchita (not gay people in general, but one particular gay person) had been widely condemned by the Russian public.

However, now we know that it was only a section of the Russian public who condemned him - in general, Conchita has obviously become quite popular in Russia.

In fact, not only is he top of the charts, but it turns out that the Russan public (not the jury, but the Russian public) had Conchita as its third favourite Eurovision act.

"Conchita Wurst’s triumphant Eurovision win on Saturday has been dubbed “the end of Europe” by one outspoken Russian politician, but it seems the Austrian drag artist’s performance was enjoyed by many of the country’s voters.

For the first time this year, a breakdown of who the public and juries chose as their favourites has been released and, according to The Week, Russians ranked Wurst third.

As the results came in during the live show, she received five points, meaning that it was the judges who marked her down, as the two results are averaged.
"

So, let's stick to the topic - Conchita (the person, the singer, the act) certainly is far more liked in Russia than what one might have thought from initial whingeings from certain sections of the Russian people.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-en...e-9357935.html
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old May 18th 2014, 09:41 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
So, let's stick to the topic - Conchita (the person, the singer, the act) certainly is far more liked in Russia than what one might have thought from initial whingeings from certain sections of the Russian people.


According to the OP (you wrote it), the thread topic is...

Quote:
Would you like to hear songs sung in lots of different languages at Eurovision, or do you prefer hearing as many songs in English as possible. Or don't you really care?
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old May 18th 2014, 09:58 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post


According to the OP (you wrote it), the thread topic is...
Haha
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old May 29th 2014, 02:45 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Eurovision

Russian operatic megastar Anna Netrebko honoured Conchita by appearing publicly sporting a drawn on beard.

"The final of ” Eurovision”, which ended in Copenhagen, has become the most popular topic on 11 may. Social network rage after a sensational victory bearded artist-transvestite from Austria. Singer Anna Netrebko has also responded to the results of the song contest.

Opera diva published in Facebook photo Austrian singer and signed Brava Conchita!!! #Eurovision”. Also Netrebko drew on the person a beard in support Conchita Wurst. Her picture showed users Instagram singer Filipp Kirkorov. “But in General we should follow the example of my friend Anna Netrebko, how to treat everything that happened yesterday at Eurovision…. this is All very fun…”, – he signed photo.
"
http://mundodeimagens.net/anna-netrebko-made-his-beard/
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old May 29th 2014, 02:58 AM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Russian operatic megastar Anna Netrebko honoured Conchita by appearing publicly sporting a drawn on beard.

"The final of ” Eurovision”, which ended in Copenhagen, has become the most popular topic on 11 may. Social network rage after a sensational victory bearded artist-transvestite from Austria. Singer Anna Netrebko has also responded to the results of the song contest.

Opera diva published in Facebook photo Austrian singer and signed Brava Conchita!!! #Eurovision”. Also Netrebko drew on the person a beard in support Conchita Wurst. Her picture showed users Instagram singer Filipp Kirkorov. “But in General we should follow the example of my friend Anna Netrebko, how to treat everything that happened yesterday at Eurovision…. this is All very fun…”, – he signed photo.
"
http://mundodeimagens.net/anna-netrebko-made-his-beard/
Neither Netrebko nor Kirkorov (nor indeed your beloved Conchita) could do much for this poor girl... boy.... whatever you want to call him/her: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/t...ins-laws211013

Nor this one: http://americablog.com/2013/08/5-rus...man-video.html

Quote:
In the year following Pussy Riot’s guilty verdict and shocking sentence, news of Russia’s Christian hate crimes began to spread. Gay and transgender Russians were being beaten, humiliated, killed. It had become something of a sport. The wave of violence against LGBT Russians received something like official sanction when Putin’s federal government passed a law banning “homosexual propaganda.” Anything that could be perceived as openly displaying homosexuality as normal in view of children is now illegal. Holding hands, kissing, wearing something pro-gay, or just acting gay; these are now illegal in public.
http://news.rapgenius.com/Walter-cru...d#note-2135872

Make no mistake, my friend, just because some people here may have been amused by your Conchita, doesn't mean she would be able to safely live here. More likely, would end up like the one in the second article




But, hey, yes, some Russians voted for Conchita on iTunes, so, Russia must be accepting of transgenders all of a sudden, right?
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old May 29th 2014, 03:06 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Neither Netrebko nor Kirkorov (nor indeed your beloved Conchita) could do much for this poor girl... boy.... whatever you want to call him/her: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/t...ins-laws211013

Nor this one: http://americablog.com/2013/08/5-rus...man-video.html



http://news.rapgenius.com/Walter-cru...d#note-2135872

Make no mistake, my friend, just because some people here may have been amused by your Conchita, doesn't mean she would be able to safely live here. More likely, would end up like the one in the second article




But, hey, yes, some Russians voted for Conchita on iTunes, so, Russia must be accepting of transgenders all of a sudden, right?
What about gay people who aren't transgender?
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old May 29th 2014, 03:30 AM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
What about gay people who aren't transgender?
If they are "open" about it, probably will have problems. If not with the government, than with the Orthodox Church, and then with the government. The government is swift, to move against those the Church does not like. Such as: http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...e-russia-metal

In Novosibirsk, before this, any fans of "Behemoth", who wanted to attend their planned concert at "Rock City" club there, faced a wall of men in sports suits, as it turns out from a local martial arts gym affiliated with the Church, who beat anyone that dared try to enter past them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgnQoB7RJc As you can see, eventually, police broke it up, but not before the Church guys also beat one of the club's security guards, causing him serious injuries. Nobody was detained.
http://sib.fm/news/2014/05/20/ochevi...ertom-behemoth

Apparently, that video shows only the beginning, later many more Orthodox activists arrived, as well as Behemoth fans, then were some real brawls, though no video available, only bits here and witnesses talking about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q74aWqG3FPs

In Vladivostok and Khabarovsk, local governments banned the band altogether, fearing similar violence by Orthodox hardliners. Finally, in Yekaterinburg, the authorities decided to end their tour entirely.

In this kind of society, the gays have not much to hope for I do not like this either, even as an Orthodox myself...
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old May 29th 2014, 04:20 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,082
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
If they are "open" about it, probably will have problems. If not with the government, than with the Orthodox Church, and then with the government.
Two questions; what do you mean by 'open'?
What do you mean by 'problems'?
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old May 29th 2014, 04:24 AM
MeMyselfAndI MeMyselfAndI is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,453
Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Two questions; what do you mean by 'open'?
What do you mean by 'problems'?
1. "Open" = Freely admit to and let it be known they are gay.
2. "Problems" = such as described in previous post. Church can use thugs to intimidate and engage in violence against you; and it can use the government and its agencies to attack you through the law. Basically, it can have you beaten up, arrested, jailed, and even killed (it has happened), if it does not like you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com