Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #81  
Old Aug 1st 2012, 05:53 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Seeing people on the streets with open carry guns is not unusual.
This pretty much guarentees that I would never even consider visiting Arizona.

Seeing armed citizens would make me think I was in some 3rd world shithole and one better get the heck out fast because trouble is guarenteed to come.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #82  
Old Aug 1st 2012, 07:44 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This pretty much guarentees that I would never even consider visiting Arizona.
You might like Sedona. Artsy and far different from the metro areas but boring. Think second class Carmel, CA with no ocean. There are far more desirable places in the US to visit than Arizona.

In terms of scenic beauty and cosmopolitan atmosphere, I rank AZ with most of the deep South and Midwest without the humidity.

Quote:
Seeing armed citizens would make me think I was in some 3rd world shithole and one better get the heck out fast because trouble is guarenteed to come.
I'd say you'd be safer there than most major US inner-cities where you can't see the guns.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
  #83  
Old Aug 1st 2012, 07:54 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
You might like Sedona. Artsy and far different from the metro areas but boring. Think second class Carmel, CA with no ocean. There are far more desirable places in the US to visit than Arizona.

In terms of scenic beauty and cosmopolitan atmosphere, I rank AZ with most of the deep South and Midwest without the humidity.
Yeah, I must admit that region isn't high up on my "must see" travel list, though the Grand Canyon is. But that could be a side-trip from Vegas (which is cheap and easy to fly to).

I've always wanted to drive the Pacific coast (Vancouver to San Diego) - that sounds like an interesting trip (coastal highway all the way).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I'd say you'd be safer there than most major US inner-cities where you can't see the guns.
Yes, that's probably true. But that's more of an indictment of most major US inner-cities than anything else. Just about anywhere in Arizona is freakin' dangerous by Toronto or Ontario standards!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #84  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 10:19 AM
pramjockey's Avatar
pramjockey pramjockey is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 1,051
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
This pretty much guarentees that I would never even consider visiting Arizona.

Seeing armed citizens would make me think I was in some 3rd world shithole and one better get the heck out fast because trouble is guarenteed to come.
Never seen anyone open carrying in AZ.

Not once.

In fact, the only time I've seen open carrying where it seemed off (like not camping or at a range or something similar) was on a trail in Alaska, but there was a known aggressive bear in the area, so even then it made sense.


Sedona is gorgeous. Touristy, but gorgeous.
  #85  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 05:44 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Never seen anyone open carrying in AZ.
I'd react the same way if I saw any open carry of guns anywhere - the game is clearly one of intended intimidation (or just as likely excessive machoism). I'd just avoid all US states with open carry laws on principle.

Between that and US border bullshit, travelling to the USA is becoming much less attractive every year and I'm definitely doing less and less of it over time.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #86  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 07:23 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'd react the same way if I saw any open carry of guns anywhere - the game is clearly one of intended intimidation (or just as likely excessive machoism). I'd just avoid all US states with open carry laws on principle.
That leaves you with six US states who have non-permissive open carry laws. Strangely enough Texas is one of those states but I can't imagine anyone willingly visiting Texas.

Quote:
Between that and US border bullshit, travelling to the USA is becoming much less attractive every year and I'm definitely doing less and less of it over time.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
  #87  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 07:30 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
That leaves you with six US states who have non-permissive open carry laws. Strangely enough Texas is one of those states but I can't imagine anyone willingly visiting Texas.
Well, it looks like the one state in the USA that I do visit the most often is a non-carry state (NY).

I guess that's probably the only state I will continue to visit. As I said, travelling to the USA has become quite unpleasant with respect to the border crap, so I do find it hard to justify travelling there when there are so many other places to visit that are so much more friendly to visitors. Judging by US border agents, the USA doesn't like non-Americans and they want them to GTFO of the USA. I'm just obliging them.

Indeed, I have absolutely zero interest in seeking to activate my claim of US citizenship.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #88  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 07:45 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Never seen anyone open carrying in AZ.

Not once.

In fact, the only time I've seen open carrying where it seemed off (like not camping or at a range or something similar) was on a trail in Alaska, but there was a known aggressive bear in the area, so even then it made sense.

Sedona is gorgeous. Touristy, but gorgeous.
I'd imagine AZ's newer concealed carry decision (no permit required) eliminated much of the open carry habits. I never saw it much in Tucson or Phoenix but haven't been in AZ in years (thank goodness). There are several news clips of open carry being displayed (including AR15s) at Obama rallies by supporters and detractors.

I used to hunt in ID, MT, WA and WY where during big game season open carry in small towns near hunting grounds was very common; using a high powered rifle on snakes being rather silly. After Wyoming's oil boom in the 1980s turned it into the wild west most states banned open carry in bars or anyplace else serving alcohol. I do miss those antelope/elk backstraps and some of the characters I met in those places.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
  #89  
Old Aug 2nd 2012, 08:08 PM
Americano's Avatar
Americano Americano is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 8,614
Default Re: Random Post - Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Well, it looks like the one state in the USA that I do visit the most often is a non-carry state (NY).
I lived in NYC for two years and considered it very dangerous. Traveled it for years after that residency and never lost my respect for the danger.

Quote:
I guess that's probably the only state I will continue to visit. As I said, travelling to the USA has become quite unpleasant with respect to the border crap, so I do find it hard to justify travelling there when there are so many other places to visit that are so much more friendly to visitors. Judging by US border agents, the USA doesn't like non-Americans and they want them to GTFO of the USA. I'm just obliging them.
US general public dislike for non-Americans currently seems to focus on Latinos and Muslims. In a pinch I'm sure any minority will do.

Quote:
Indeed, I have absolutely zero interest in seeking to activate my claim of US citizenship.
One never knows about the future. A US trust with investments directed offshore and producing capital gains on return is currently a decent tax circumstance.
__________________
"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people."
~H.L. Mencken~
  #90  
Old Aug 3rd 2012, 05:53 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Random Post - Again

It's that time of the year...


Have I ever mentioned how much I love canoeing? (or how much I hate spelling that word?)

Anyway, I rented a lakeside cottage/cabin in Muskoka for a week - going up Saturday morning. It is about 1.5 hour drive north by northeast of Toronto. Going out in the canoe every morning (with the mist of dawn on the lake) for a week is one of the greatest pleasures in life for me. That's when one sees the most wildlife (I like to see a blue herons - they are quite majestic).

Also planning on doing some beer drinking, swimming, hiking and then probably some more more beer drinking as the sun goes down...

__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com