Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Mar 11th 2012, 09:38 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Any Good TV shows

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTRob View Post
I watch dvds or on demand shows on my computer(s) yeah.

I personally just stopped enjoying the over inflated media, bullshit politics (bullshit is a nice description), drama shows on fake life, thieving religions and more.
I do like comedy, action and adventure films and shows on occasion.

So after having a tv with over 500 channels and barely a decent show to watch we just got rid of it and started enjoying life more.

TV is a waste of serious time for me. Every minute I spend watching tv I could be learning something new, interacting with friends, practicing important skills or spending time with my family. I seriously believe that TV is a low point in human civilization evolution.
Pretty much so, right along with computer game addiction. How anyone could wonder why Americans have obesity and social disassociation problems 'living normal lives' doesn't say much for critical thinking.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 09:50 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Pretty much so, right along with computer game addiction. How anyone could wonder why Americans have obesity and social disassociation problems 'living normal lives' doesn't say much for critical thinking.
Obesity in America is caused by it's wealth, the corn sugar in so many foods and food is very cheap, not lack of activity.

I have diabetes, caused by cancer treatments, and after my cancer gained a large amount of weight mostly due to the diabetes and lack of activity during treatment as well I kept eating as though I was still working. I'm back losing the weight, much slower than when I gained it haha.

For the record I don't do video games either, never have.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:31 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Firefly, first and foremost. An absolute must. Think spaghetti western, in space. It is maybe one of the best shows ever made. Unfortunately you only get about a half season and then one film.

I loved Battlestar Galactica (the new version). It's pretty epic. People have differing opinions on it. For instance, some think the third season is the worst, I like it the best.

Also, you may laugh, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a tour de force.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 10:38 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBTRob View Post
Obesity in America is caused by it's wealth, the corn sugar in so many foods and food is very cheap, not lack of activity.
Most studies (links if you like) blame US obesity in children and teens on poor diet and lack of activity; couch potatoes. Unfortunately, only 3.8% of elementary, 7.9% of middle, and 2.1% of high schools provide daily physical education or its equivalent for the entire school year. Those patterns normally don't change with adulthood.

Quote:
I have diabetes, caused by cancer treatments, and after my cancer gained a large amount of weight mostly due to the diabetes and lack of activity during treatment as well I kept eating as though I was still working. I'm back losing the weight, much slower than when I gained it haha.

For the record I don't do video games either, never have.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 06:24 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Most studies (links if you like) blame US obesity in children and teens on poor diet and lack of activity; couch potatoes. Unfortunately, only 3.8% of elementary, 7.9% of middle, and 2.1% of high schools provide daily physical education or its equivalent for the entire school year. Those patterns normally don't change with adulthood.
I think there are some very large US corporate interests with very large and vested interests in pushing this line of explanation. It doesn't hold up very well since every western country is under the same trends - but it is Americans specifically that are growing obese at record rates.

All the facts point to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) being the key culprit in turning fat/lazy people into obese behemoths. Of course HFCS is not only subsidized by the US government at the growing stage, it is also subsidized at the industrial processing stage making the subsidized price of the product only a tiny fraction of the cost of natural sugar which it is substituted for (of course, US government uses reverse subsidies to boost the price of natural sugar just to make the subsidized price of HFCS that much cheaper in comparison).

Btw, the American obesity epidemic correlates very closely with the market introduction of HFCS.
Old Mar 12th 2012, 08:15 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I think there are some very large US corporate interests with very large and vested interests in pushing this line of explanation. It doesn't hold up very well since every western country is under the same trends - but it is Americans specifically that are growing obese at record rates.

All the facts point to HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) being the key culprit in turning fat/lazy people into obese behemoths. Of course HFCS is not only subsidized by the US government at the growing stage, it is also subsidized at the industrial processing stage making the subsidized price of the product only a tiny fraction of the cost of natural sugar which it is substituted for (of course, US government uses reverse subsidies to boost the price of natural sugar just to make the subsidized price of HFCS that much cheaper in comparison).

Btw, the American obesity epidemic correlates very closely with the market introduction of HFCS.
So does lack of activity. Drive through a US suburban neighborhood after school or on a weekend and and see how many children are engaged in outdoor activities. They're all inside, just as their TV parents were. The only teens outside in US cities are gangbangers peddling drugs or those in vehicles.

HFCS (fast food/'sodas') does its part in obesity but so does lack of physical activity. There are several contributing factors to inactivity in the US including controlled indoor environment (widespread residential air conditioning), air pollution and crime against children/teens, but the major consideration is mindless indoor electronic entertainment. A sign of the times.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 12:19 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Firefly, first and foremost. An absolute must. Think spaghetti western, in space. It is maybe one of the best shows ever made. Unfortunately you only get about a half season and then one film.

I loved Battlestar Galactica (the new version). It's pretty epic. People have differing opinions on it. For instance, some think the third season is the worst, I like it the best.

Also, you may laugh, but Buffy the Vampire Slayer is a tour de force.
With that list, you should check out Being Human, too - it's a few seasons in, very good. I second all of those choices, though.

It's already been mentioned, but The Walking Dead is also really good, pretty gruesome at times.

If you're into politics, The West Wing is hilarious.

And Game of Thrones is excellent.

Outside of that, I don't watch much TV - all of the TV I do watch is with friends. I like movies, and watch a bunch of those, but even then maybe one every 2-3 weeks.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 01:39 PM
Globetrotter

I miss being a teenager in the 90s and watching shows like Deep Space Nine. Most trekies like The Next Generation more, but I preferred Captain Sisco and his crew.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 07:03 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekib82 View Post
I miss being a teenager in the 90s and watching shows like Deep Space Nine. Most trekies like The Next Generation more, but I preferred Captain Sisco and his crew.
I grew up watching Gilligan's Island, Get Smart, Hogan's Heros and M*A*S*H in syndicated reruns.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 08:03 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suibhne View Post
With that list, you should check out Being Human, too - it's a few seasons in, very good. I second all of those choices, though.

American or British? (I just checked on Netflix and apparently there are two versions. (If there is any precedent, the prior British version is almost always better, but it doesn't hurt to ask).

I'm going to call it in early tonight as I'm not feeling well, and I wouldn't mind watching a few episodes of a new show.