Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Feb 19th 2009, 12:56 PM
Nomad

Default Re: The Aghanistan War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
I was surprised to see that we don't have a thread for this yet so I thought I'd start one up.

So, yeah, wow, what a fucking mess! That's my assessment of the situation and always has been.

What are your thoughts on the War in Afghanistan? Why are we there? What is it accomplishing? When will it end? What are we fighting?

If you're interesting in listening to possibly one of the most disturbing and equally inspiring radio-plays ever, I strongly recommend you visit one that the CBC produces called Afghanada. Because of the time that's its usually broadcast I usually catch it unawares at 11:30 p.m. while driving down the dimly lit country highway to my home. I recommend listening to this in low light or pure darkness - it enhances the effects!

http://www.cbc.ca/afghanada/
Alot of people i have asked have said that they make a ton of money off each one of these wars they make. I am against war.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by serena sattar View Post
Alot of people i have asked have said that they make a ton of money off each one of these wars they make. I am against war.
First of all, welcome to the forum!

As for the war in Afghanistan, I agree that war is nasty business and it is easy to say that one is "against war".

But I see you are Canadian. Canada is 'at war' in Afghanistan ostensibly fighting so that women may have legal rights in Afghanistan and so that girls may go to school there. These are the goals that Canada is fighting for in Afghanistan. Do you support these goals? Do you think that these goals could be achieved without the use of guns?
Old Mar 18th 2009, 06:33 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Canada is 'at war' in Afghanistan ostensibly fighting so that women may have legal rights in Afghanistan and so that girls may go to school there. These are the goals that Canada is fighting for in Afghanistan. Do you support these goals? Do you think that these goals could be achieved without the use of guns?
This is absolutely the reason I support the war in Afghanistan, being primarily against war as a solution for anything.

A group of women I am part of, plays rummoli (cards) once a month and we each pay a twoonie ($2) to play and have collected $326 dollars to date. We are saving up for $750 which will pay for a teacher for girls for a year in Afghanistan.
Check out the website of Canadian women for women in Afghanistan.
www.w4wafghan.ca

Afghanistan was an amazing place in the 70s and I have many friends who travelled there, women were doctors and lawyers and there was music everywhere. It was a colourful vibrant society.

We need to support whatever forces will bring that society back to Afghanistan. And perhaps guns/military/police are necessary in this place at this time.
Old May 4th 2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Something tells me that this is not going to work out well...

Quote:
'Witness for Jesus' in Afghanistan

US soldiers have been encouraged to spread the message of their Christian faith among Afghanistan's predominantly Muslim population, video footage obtained by Al Jazeera appears to show.

Military chaplains stationed in the US air base at Bagram were also filmed with bibles printed in the country's main Pashto and Dari languages.

In one recorded sermon, Lieutenant-Colonel Gary Hensley, the chief of the US military chaplains in Afghanistan, is seen telling soldiers that as followers of Jesus Christ, they all have a responsibility "to be witnesses for him".

"The special forces guys - they hunt men basically. We do the same things as Christians, we hunt people for Jesus. We do, we hunt them down," he says.

"Get the hound of heaven after them, so we get them into the kingdom. That's what we do, that's our business."
Source

As if the US military didn't have enough troubles in Afghanistan without adding more of their own making...
Old May 4th 2009, 03:47 PM
Citizen

Quote:

Source

As if the US military didn't have enough troubles in Afghanistan without adding more of their own making...

Its amazing how some things never change after hundreds of years.

Andrew
Old May 4th 2009, 07:29 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:

Source

How stupid does it get?
Old May 4th 2009, 07:43 PM
World Citizen

The sad thing is that if anybody with any brains in the military points out that preaching to these people will lead to more Islamic resistance then they will say it's typical war on Christianity political correctness and not allowing them their religious freedom. Christians who are by far in the majority always act like some oppressed minority to get their way.
Old May 4th 2009, 10:43 PM
Resident Anthropologist

[sigh]

I was ... reluctant to call the invasion of Iraq the next Crusade. I give people the benefit of the doubt a lot.

I was ... forgiving not to call the Afghanistan invasion the next Crusade. As GWB put it - "Fool me once, shame on ... you? Fool me ... you can't fool me again!"

This is amazing to me. As I read this I could hear what sounded like Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin rolling two or three times each in their respective graves. How is it that this is happening in the US? Where are the descendants of the revolution that separated church and state? Where is the American Civil Liberties Union on this issue? These soldiers and these chaplains indeed should be discharged immediately! I never thought that we'd see Protestant versions of a Crusade but it appears that this may be the case. The death of an empire is an ugly thing to witness indeed!
Old May 5th 2009, 08:10 AM
World Citizen

Quote:

Source

LMAO

No surprise there.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
If Obama thinks the Cambridge police 'acted stupidly' by arresting Skip Gates, I wonder what adverb he'd use to describe his own latest police strategy in the War on Drugs in Afghanistan. 'Gee, let’s kill the top drug dealers.' Sounds smart at first glance, but given how lucrative the drug trade is, what do you think will happen after few of the top leaders are bumped off? Answer: others will compete to take their places. Police in the United States are just beginning to admit that their own efforts to remove drug dealers from the street drug markets of the late 1980s may have been the cause of the spike in violence in America's cities in this same period. Why? Because the police operations threw drug markets into chaos, leading to a ruthless competition among those who would take the place of the dealers whom the police were eliminating. In short, this is a formula to escalate the cycle of violence in Afghanistan, not to end it. For anyone who's been awake and watching the many failed strategies in the US war on drugs at home, it just looks stupid.
Source

News from Afghanistan is not good and the future looks bleak. Obama's new general there seems to want an additional 45,000 troops, and the US forces are undertaking two big local problems that have been massive failures in the USA.

That is to say, the US military in Afghanistan is now trying to 'reform' the prison system in Afghanistan (that seems like a joke given that the US has one of the worst prison problems on the planet) and is going to bring the War on Drugs to Afghanistan (probably because it was so successful at home).

I didn't think it would be possible, but Obama has managed to make Afghanistan look much worse than Bush made it.

I'm not fucking impressed with Obama on foreign policy at all. He seems to be in way over his head and making stupid decisions that have already been proven failures. He should stick to Town Halls on healthcare issues. He ain't do anyone any favors in Afghanistan.