Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Dec 10th 2009, 05:34 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: What's the last movie you saw?

Bad Santa (2003)
A bit trite, but hilarious throughout, features a simple and effective story, supplemented by great dialogue and features appropriate acting, especially the outstanding performance by Billy bob Thornton; and its cynical yet earnest outlook encapsulates my idea of a Christmas movie.

Last edited by Zarquon; Dec 10th 2009 at 05:42 PM.
Old Dec 10th 2009, 06:16 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny.

Shockingly entertaining.
J-U-I-C-Y! Hilarious tribute to rock'n'roll.
Old Dec 11th 2009, 05:35 PM
World Citizen

8 1/2 (1963)
beautifully made, especially the impeccable acting; however, surrealism is not my cup of tea.
Old Dec 12th 2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarquon View Post
8 1/2 (1963)
beautifully made, especially the impeccable acting; however, surrealism is not my cup of tea.
I'm normally a big fan of European art-house filmmakers. And of all of them, Fellini is one of the most highly praised and I've seen a half-dozen of his films. I can't figure out why his work is praised at all. Most of his films seem utterly forgettable and silly monuments to Fellini's ego.

8 1/2 seems as lame, boring and pointless as any other film by Fellini.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 05:51 PM
World Citizen

All the President's Men (1976)

A captivating, naturalistic, subtle, well-paced, brilliantly acted, and inspiring movie.
My only gripe is about the rushed ending which doesn't deliver the triumph/catharsis that one had expected.Perhaps, being a topical film, the filmmakers felt that the events at the end were fresh in the minds of the audience, and that they inspired horror at malfeasance rather than glee at the president's eventual resignation.
In sum, a memorable cinema experience.
Old Dec 13th 2009, 08:33 PM
World Citizen

Watched Away We Go last night. A date movie that I actually enjoyed.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1176740/
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
All the President's Men (1976)

A captivating, naturalistic, subtle, well-paced, brilliantly acted, and inspiring movie.
My only gripe is about the rushed ending which doesn't deliver the triumph/catharsis that one had expected.Perhaps, being a topical film, the filmmakers felt that the events at the end were fresh in the minds of the audience, and that they inspired horror at malfeasance rather than glee at the president's eventual resignation.
In sum, a memorable cinema experience.
Excellent film in its day and an excellent review.

I fear that film doesn't stand the test of time though. They were still dancing round admitting the fact that the President was the Criminal-in-Chief and this was relatively normal business in Washington. Such dainty sensibilities about this issue look totally contrived and fake from our contemporary perspective.

That is to say, pretending to be shocked about Nixon's actions was a luxury Hollywood and the media engaged in. I find that more absurd than Nixon himself being surprised by the fallout.

By all accounts, Nixon played it fairly clean compared to JFK. Nixon was a model of propriety compared to the illegal acts that JFK routinely and repeatedly engaged in.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 12:36 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I fear that film doesn't stand the test of time though. They were still dancing round admitting the fact that the President was the Criminal-in-Chief and this was relatively normal business in Washington. Such dainty sensibilities about this issue look totally contrived and fake from our contemporary perspective.

That is to say, pretending to be shocked about Nixon's actions was a luxury Hollywood and the media engaged in. I find that more absurd than Nixon himself being surprised by the fallout.

By all accounts, Nixon played it fairly clean compared to JFK. Nixon was a model of propriety compared to the illegal acts that JFK routinely and repeatedly engaged in.
When your parents were Joe and Rose Kennedy, bending the rules, all rules, to suit your own purposes was inevitable.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 02:01 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

The only reasons JFK gets all the affection is because he was young, articulate, handsome, had a gorgeous wife, and of course, because he was shot dead and hence became a symbol of hope/lost potential, and also cos he (like Obama) could bullshit rather well.
He was right about Vietnam though, he was against sending more American troops, and was of the view that the South Vietnamese had to fight the good fight themselves, and America just had to help them build their govt and military.
Old Dec 14th 2009, 02:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
The only reasons JFK gets all the affection is because he was young, articulate, handsome, had a gorgeous wife, and of course, because he was shot dead and hence became a symbol of hope/lost potential, and also cos he (like Obama) could bullshit rather well.
He was right about Vietnam though, he was against sending more American troops, and was of the view that the South Vietnamese had to fight the good fight themselves, and America just had to help them build their govt and military.
His approval of President Diem's assassination contradicts his spoken words.

"In the final weeks of his life, Kennedy wrestled with the need to decide the future of the United States’ commitment in Vietnam. Whether or not Kennedy would have increased military involvement in Vietnam or negotiated a withdrawal of military personnel still remains hotly debated among historians and officials who served in the administrations of President Kennedy and President Lyndon B. Johnson."

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Historical...ry/Vietnam.htm

I like to point out JFK's gargantuan sexual appetites and Joe Sr.'s bootlegging background when discussing that administration with devout and pious Catholics.