Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Philosophy & Political Theory

Philosophy & Political Theory What is the meaning of life? What is truth? Good vs Evil? This is the forum to debate about anything and everything!

Old Sep 5th 2013, 01:27 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: What determines if something is 'rational'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Any complaints that you may have, or Dominick or anyone else about the future, okay, but it makes no sense to complain about the freedom of publication of the present on a public forum. That is self-contradictory, in my opinion.
Well, I realize that my opinion is only my opinion. I am also fully aware that I have no remedy, and I can only hope that the remedy (whatever it may be) will include truth, honesty and humanitarian concerns.

Perhaps I air my dissatisfaction in hopes that someone will read it, supply the solution to the problems, and put the world right ..... and maybe I express my pessimistic view in hopes that someone will prove me wrong.

The media, with the exception of Wikileaks, is filling us with BS on a full time basis. But Wikileaks, Bradley Manning, and Snowden are being subdued for telling us something of the truth. So what is it about the truth that is so scary? Does it get worse? Are there things we really do not want to know? Is the U.S. invading, murdering, destroying, fucking up the planet and the atmosphere ..... all because they know the earth is doomed anyway and that they're planning to use their superior space exploratory knowledge to pack the rich into a space ship and desert mother earth at the last minute ..... before it and all of us disintegrate?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 02:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Well, I realize that my opinion is only my opinion. I am also fully aware that I have no remedy, and I can only hope that the remedy (whatever it may be) will include truth, honesty and humanitarian concerns.

Perhaps I air my dissatisfaction in hopes that someone will read it, supply the solution to the problems, and put the world right ..... and maybe I express my pessimistic view in hopes that someone will prove me wrong.

The media, with the exception of Wikileaks, is filling us with BS on a full time basis. But Wikileaks, Bradley Manning, and Snowden are being subdued for telling us something of the truth. So what is it about the truth that is so scary? Does it get worse? Are there things we really do not want to know? Is the U.S. invading, murdering, destroying, fucking up the planet and the atmosphere ..... all because they know the earth is doomed anyway and that they're planning to use their superior space exploratory knowledge to pack the rich into a space ship and desert mother earth at the last minute ..... before it and all of us disintegrate?
I'm not saying you shouldn't express your opinion. I'm just saying that I can't see how your complaints can apply to the present, when both you and Dominick are so free to criticise whichever government you like. The future, okay, but the present???
Old Sep 5th 2013, 02:23 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
I'm not saying you shouldn't express your opinion. I'm just saying that I can't see how your complaints can apply to the present, when both you and Dominick are so free to criticise whichever government you like. The future, okay, but the present???
What have I said specifically about the present that displeases you?
Old Sep 5th 2013, 02:27 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
What have I said specifically about the present that displeases you?
Nothing that displeases me, and I keep saying 'if'. If you two are saying that there isn't freedom of coverage in the present, then I disagree. If you're talking about the future, then I have no opinion.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 02:41 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Nothing that displeases me, and I keep saying 'if'. If you two are saying that there isn't freedom of coverage in the present, then I disagree. If you're talking about the future, then I have no opinion.
I am saying "that there isn't freedom of coverage in the present".
Yes, that is what I am saying.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 02:42 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I am saying "that there isn't freedom of coverage in the present".
Yes, that is what I am saying.
Thank you.
Old Sep 5th 2013, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
... So what is it about the truth that is so scary? Does it get worse?
The US government would desperately like to keep it quiet that they are spying on everyone, including their own citizens and that they violate US law on a routine (daily) basis. And most western governments are 100% complicit in that game.

If proof of all that comes out, it is possible that the NSA might lose all that freedom to routinely violate laws and give away fat untendered contracts to their friends and they'd really be annoyed if that were to happen.

I doubt if anyone at NSA is afraid of being put in jail if their crimes are identified -that's just so far over the top that no one could ever believe that! US does not punish its own government employees for following orders (even though the US pressed specifically that legal point at Nurenberg trials).
Old Sep 6th 2013, 02:02 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The US government would desperately like to keep it quiet that they are spying on everyone, including their own citizens and that they violate US law on a routine (daily) basis. And most western governments are 100% complicit in that game.

If proof of all that comes out, it is possible that the NSA might lose all that freedom to routinely violate laws and give away fat untendered contracts to their friends and they'd really be annoyed if that were to happen.

I doubt if anyone at NSA is afraid of being put in jail if their crimes are identified -that's just so far over the top that no one could ever believe that! US does not punish its own government employees for following orders (even though the US pressed specifically that legal point at Nurenberg trials).
This is your reply to me asking "if it gets worse". I think you've answered that question and now I REALLY feel like shit.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 03:10 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

"To be governed is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censored, checked, valued, enrolled, by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so."
Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

Like John Lennon suggested, Imagine there are no countries. Imagine individual sovereignty, every person a king or queen. Imagine spontaneous order instead of elite authoritarian coercion. Imagine the voluntary promotion and implementarion of the Golden Rule.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 08:41 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
It's worth remembering that the media isn't the powerful beast that once it was. I certainly read far fewer professional media outlets these days, as I find amateur journalism, such as forums like this one far more interesting. I suspect other people do. 20 years ago the media was incredibly powerful, people it was either follow it, with any agenda that it might have, or not know anything about what is going on. Now we are able to read lots of opinions.

And by the way, I know that the future might be worse. I'm talking about now, I'm no more talking about the future, than I am about the past.
Where in my post did you find any reference to the future ?