Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Old Nov 15th 2016, 04:56 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Twenty-First Century Victorians

I don't know how many of you read Jacobin. I suspect it's not really the review of choice for most folks here. Nonetheless, I found this essay incisive, thought provoking, and more than a little close to home for me and my social circle.

It's basically about how the mores of society, while different from those of the Victorian era, function in exactly the same way. It's an excellent articulation of what class means in 2016 (especially in America).

I hope you enjoy:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/v...th-parenthood/

Quote:
Today, spin classes, artisanal food, and the college application process have replaced Sunday promenades, evening lectures, and weekly salons. But make no mistake, they serve the same purpose: transforming class privilege into individual virtue, thereby shoring up social dominance.
Old Nov 15th 2016, 05:17 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Twenty-First Century Victorians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I don't know how many of you read Jacobin. I suspect it's not really the review of choice for most folks here. Nonetheless, I found this essay incisive, thought provoking, and more than a little close to home for me and my social circle.

It's basically about how the mores of society, while different from those of the Victorian era, function in exactly the same way. It's an excellent articulation of what class means in 2016 (especially in America).

I hope you enjoy:

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/v...th-parenthood/
It seems to me that the article itself is a good example of the very thing (s)he's decrying. To put it in a popular phrase : Ain't no one got time for that.
The basic problem is much simpler. It's poverty even if it's just relative poverty. It's lack of opportunities. Erst kommt das Fressen, dann kommt die Moral.

That societal gap is first and foremost amplified because middle class people seem completely blind and oblivious to how the world has evolved and is evolving for so-called lower class people. The disenfranchisement is very real, it's not a perception.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Social class is very real - and people will go to great lengths to express their social class membership through symbolic acts and consumer choices - even if they are completely unaware they are doing exactly that.

What's new about that? That's been going on for thousands of years.
Old Nov 16th 2016, 07:50 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Social class is very real - and people will go to great lengths to express their social class membership through symbolic acts and consumer choices - even if they are completely unaware they are doing exactly that.

What's new about that? That's been going on for thousands of years.
Nothing is new about it. It's just interesting to see it so concisely broken down for the modern american bourgeois.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 07:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Nothing is new about it. It's just interesting to see it so concisely broken down for the modern american bourgeois.
Yes, it is a well written article and very interesting to read.

I just tend to get annoyed when some people (ie. the author of article) act like they've just discovered something new and significant when it has been around forever and ever.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 11:44 PM
Official Forum Mascot

I think what struck me about it is that it was sort of like looking into a foggy mirror.