Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Society, Media & Culture

Society, Media & Culture Sociology, lifestyles, psychology, paranormal, media studies and all things cultural.

Old Apr 12th 2016, 08:07 PM
Globetrotter

Default Fighting in Russian schools, a history

Encountered this fascinating account on a Russian forum not long ago, thought I would retell it here, it deserves it.

We are often here presented the image of a Soviet school as an ideal, orderly place where children were well behaved and disciplined and quiet and sat and obeyed teachers and learned like they are supposed to

No. Not really. Maybe there were such schools, but, apparently, they were quite rare indeed. lol

There was bullying, just like now

and boys always did use physical force to settle their problems.

Back in the late 1940s and the 50s (we are starting post-WWII), majority of kids knew little about fighting, nor did the Stalin and later Khrushchev regimes encourage the teaching of martial arts and such to children. So, mainly, they just kind of grabbed each other and wrestled around

They could also wield their briefcases that were then commonly carried by pupils, as shockingly effective weapons in mass brawls

haha

In the 60s, boxing became popular and lots of boys started going to training classes and sections

This led to development of good punching techniques in the school yards ;-)

At the same time, even among the shpana, the youth street gangs back then, there were unwritten but respected rules of fighting: one on one, unless otherwise agreed upon in advance; no hitting below the belt; no continued hitting of a fallen opponent.

Finally, by the late 70s, karate arrived to the USSR

Now, kicks became widely used in fighting by boys. At the same time, due to deteriorating social and criminal situation in the country by mid-80s, the fighting itself became more vicious, less rules and less respect for any remaining rules. Groin kicks became fully acceptable strategy in a school fight; as well as kicking and stomping an opponent already on the ground. That is why, actually, around that time, karate was banned for all civilians, and was only legal for KGB agents and special forces troops

This continued on into the 90s when, as society became overrun by violent crime, weapons began to be increasingly used in schools too, brass knuckles, metal bars and clubs, bats, knives, et al.

Today... Well... In Moscow, supposedly, the situation has improved. But out there, in the regions...

Today, every school has martial arts clubs, classes, sections, etc.

as well as private facilities everywhere.

Children can freely learn karate

Muai Thai (Thai Kickboxing)

Taekwondo

Sambo

Etc.

My children's generation are maybe the most skilled fighters yet... They win their first medals before turning even 10

and before they are 14, they can be already black belts and distinguished champions

Like my friend, same age as me, around 30, put it, remember when we were in Grade 8? And we thought we were so tough back then? We would all be getting kicked around mercilessly in a modern school... No chance, at all. We would lose, no question, even if six of us vs. 3 modern boys.

I have myself encouraged my oldest son and will do same for the younger one, to go into the sections. Just so they are not left at a painful disadvantage if ever have to face a bully at school...

And thus, the cycle continues. We seem to become more violent and barbaric with each generation this way
Old Apr 13th 2016, 06:40 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Fighting in Russian schools, a history

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
And thus, the cycle continues. We seem to become more violent and barbaric with each generation this way
Yes, this is how cycles perpetuate. It is a vicious circle.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 12:14 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Fighting in Russian schools, a history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, this is how cycles perpetuate. It is a vicious circle.
We propagate it... Look at our TV. Do you know who are the heroes, the role models of Russian youth on our television are, these days?

There is a show called "Law of the Stone Jungle", Zakon Kamennykh Dzhungley (ZKD).

I may have written about it before, not sure, I actually watched it a bit since then, I was wrong about a lot of it back then, thought then it was intended as some positive lesson, stupid I was. It is actually just another piece of cheap trash promoting crime and violence as a lifestyle for young men... The main heroes are gang members (seriously).

It is set in one of the worse peripheral neighborhoods in Moscow. You got such wonderful characters as Anton Zhukov, "Zhuk", who never leaves home without his brass knuckles and his pistol in his pockets

He is really tough, a boxer and MMA fighter and the big, bad muscle of the gang. And he basically just beats people up and shoots people, every episode, and that is about all he does. Well, and also enjoys himself with his beautiful girlfriend, Irina

Or Timofei "Tim" Gordeev, who is actually the brains and the leader of the gang, but who can also beat up and shoot people if needed

The gang life provides him money

And he also has a gorgeous girl, Elena

with whom he as well has a very healthy sex life

Or, there is Konstantin, Kostya Tsyplakov ("Tsypa"), who is very skilled at fighting with a metal stick

and whose brother Vadim, with whom they both grew up in an orphanage (interestingly, Zhuk also grew up without parents; while Tim left him home early, fleeing a father who abused his mother, though he would then return, as a tough gangster, and beat his father half to death in one episode and make him apologize to his mother; there is common theme here...), is a mobster and pimp

whom the gang all work for.

His girlfriend is the dark haired and dark souled beauty Liza

who is also Tim's sister, funnily enough.

He can also be seen at his brother's club, getting free lap dances from the girls there

By the second season, he is driving everyone around in a (stolen, no doubt) golden Hummer

No comment...

And then, you wonder why, when reporters recently went around questioning youth in different parts of the country who they want to be like

most of the answers were, one of the ZKD boys...

This is how we are raising our young. It is a national disgrace. Period.