Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > War and Conflict

War and Conflict UN, NATO, Iraq, Afghanistan, War on Terror, Israel & Palestine, and all international political conflicts.

Old Apr 9th 2018, 08:10 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Default Re: Syrian Conflict

Are these alleged poison gas attacks in Syria a case of SSDD?

They would seem to serve the interests of John Bolton and the MIC/Deep State much more than they do the interests of Assad and Putin, and are reminiscent of the alleged "yellow cake uranium," "weapons of mass destruction," etc., that fueled the "shock and awe" attack on Iraq, and false flags that have been planted to foment other wars.

US citizens seem all too happy to believe whatever the "undisclosed sources" from the Pentagon and State Dept. spew that the Associated Press and MSM run as facts.

We won't be fooled again?
Old Apr 9th 2018, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
We won't be fooled again?
The American mass media will be. A majority of American voters will be. That's just what they do. They all want to be fooled so bad that they make it easy.

As one of favorite bloggers said a couple of days ago... "so now we are going to pretend to care about Syria again for a few days?"
Old Apr 10th 2018, 08:46 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The American mass media will be. A majority of American voters will be. That's just what they do. They all want to be fooled so bad that they make it easy.

As one of favorite bloggers said a couple of days ago... "so now we are going to pretend to care about Syria again for a few days?"

Can you tell me who this blogger is so I can read him?

The allegedly liberal Brookings Institute just made a case that the US should stay in Syria.
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order...we-prevent-isi...

I looked up the Brookings Institute at Wikipedia and found down the page (emphasis mine):

"Funders
As of 2016 the Brookings Institution had assets of $473.8 million.[102] Its largest contributors include the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, the Hutchins Family Foundation, JPMorgan Chase, the LEGO Foundation, David Rubenstein, State of Qatar, and John L. Thornton.
In 2014, it received $250,000 from the United States Central Command of the United States Department of Defense.[103]"

This is the same Central Command that continued to aid and abet the Egyptian military as it overthrew the democratically-elected parliament and President. How much money do you suppose it gave to the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity?
Old Apr 14th 2018, 01:52 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

The US and allies attacked Syria.

Fortunately for the world and unfortunately for deep state neoconservatives, the Russians haven't taken the bait and escalated the situation, so for the moment John Bolton and Bibi Netanyahu can just hyperventilate until they turn blue.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 06:03 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I can't remember who around here used to tout Anne-Marie Slaughter as some intelligent liberal foreign policy expert which I always found to be rather weird since she's neither intelligent, liberal nor a foreign policy expert. I think I remember people wanted her to head the NSA or something in Obama's cabinet.

Near as I can tell, she's a typical Washington foreign policy hack who always celebrates when the US military starts randomly killing people in the Middle East.

Here's her take on the US attack against Syria...

Quote:
I believe that the US, UK, & France did the right thing by striking Syria over chemical weapons. It will not stop the war nor save the Syrian people from many other horrors. It is illegal under international law. But it at least draws a line somewhere & says enough.
Source

The woman is an idiot - but no more so than any other "foreign policy expert in Washington" of which she is just a typical hack example. Indeed, her statement here I suppose passes for the most cogent and meaningful comment on the issue from the entire US foreign policy establishment.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 06:26 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I can't remember who around here used to tout Anne-Marie Slaughter as some intelligent liberal foreign policy expert which I always found to be rather weird since she's neither intelligent, liberal nor a foreign policy expert. I think I remember people wanted her to head the NSA or something in Obama's cabinet.

Near as I can tell, she's a typical Washington foreign policy hack who always celebrates when the US military starts randomly killing people in the Middle East.

Here's her take on the US attack against Syria...

Source

The woman is an idiot - but no more so than any other "foreign policy expert in Washington" of which she is just a typical hack example. Indeed, her statement here I suppose passes for the most cogent and meaningful comment on the issue from the entire US foreign policy establishment.
This missile strike felt utterly ridiculous. I donít know what an appropriate international response would have been, but I canít imaginethis was it.
Old Apr 16th 2018, 06:51 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
This missile strike felt utterly ridiculous. I donít know what an appropriate international response would have been, but I canít imaginethis was it.
That's the problem with international policy. War is an all or nothing proposition. One can't have a 'little war' or a 'sort of war'. If someone does something really bad worthy of a military response, you have to do a full scale military response - or go home.

US keeps trying to do wimpy little wars that satisfy only the Washington media and serve no purpose other than to kill a few people. And the rest of the world just looks at the USA and says, WTF?

Either make war on Syria or don't. But the US trying to have it both ways is pathetic. US hegemony is totally dead. Now tragedy is just farce.