Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Rules & Announcements

Rules & Announcements Important information regarding the rules and announcements about forum operations.

Old Dec 8th 2008, 09:02 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default New Rules

New rules are same as the old rules.

(I just got tired of seeing that "Big Crash" thread at the top of the forum, so I'm creating a new thread here to bump it down)

Anyway, since we're on the topic of rules, let me just say that there is no rule against 'necroposting' at this forum. All threads that are not locked are understood to be open for discussion. Thread discussions do not die, they sometimes just go dormant for a while. To put it simply, any poster may post to any thread, even if that thread is a month, three months or a year old. If you want to discuss it, go right ahead.

Note: Necroposting is the alleged sin of posting to a dead thread. A dead thread is one that has not had a recent post for several weeks or months.

If I think of any more rules that don't apply to this forum, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 08:43 AM
Bad Motherfucker

Default Re: New Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
New rules are same as the old rules.

(I just got tired of seeing that "Big Crash" thread at the top of the forum, so I'm creating a new thread here to bump it down)

Anyway, since we're on the topic of rules, let me just say that there is no rule against 'necroposting' at this forum. All threads that are not locked are understood to be open for discussion. Thread discussions do not die, they sometimes just go dormant for a while. To put it simply, any poster may post to any thread, even if that thread is a month, three months or a year old. If you want to discuss it, go right ahead.

Note: Necroposting is the alleged sin of posting to a dead thread. A dead thread is one that has not had a recent post for several weeks or months.

If I think of any more rules that don't apply to this forum, I'll be sure to let you know.
Whew...at first I thought you were saying it was OK for zombies to post. Screw a bunch of zombies.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:48 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
Whew...at first I thought you were saying it was OK for zombies to post. Screw a bunch of zombies.
Dead people (or undead ones for that matter) are not permitted to post. That's one of them 'unwritten' rules.

Posting about dead people is permitted though...
Old Dec 17th 2008, 03:02 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Dead people (or undead ones for that matter) are not permitted to post. That's one of them 'unwritten' rules.

Posting about dead people is permitted though...
Not even if their IP is from Chicago?
Old Dec 17th 2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Not even if their IP is from Chicago?
Daley rules don't apply here!
Old May 22nd 2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

New Rule: Please be advised that usage of the "n-word" will not be permitted at this forum.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 02:49 AM
Nomad

I think it's a mistake to ban words. If people are bigots, out with it and let others reject or accept the usage.

Besides, the term was in general usage for 100 years and has become less acceptable quite naturally

PC has no role in a free and dynamic society. Closet bigotry and it festers.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christy S View Post
I think it's a mistake to ban words. If people are bigots, out with it and let others reject or accept the usage.

Besides, the term was in general usage for 100 years and has become less acceptable quite naturally

PC has no role in a free and dynamic society. Closet bigotry and it festers.
Yes, that's a valid argument, though one can point out that slavery itself was in general usage for many hundreds of years. Mere longevity doesn't make it right.

However, on the flipside, if/when that word is permitted, it seems to attract a whole lot of people who like using it to create an enviroment that is hateful for other people. That's the reason the word is banned here. It tends to keep out those who seek to foster hatred. Let the hatemongers troll elsewhere, not here.

We are concerned here to create a civil environment where all may be comfortable discussing any topic.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 09:33 PM
Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post

I never could understand that rule and most forums have that-this forum is different from all the others. That being said, if this forum grew to a larger size, you may need mods and silly rules.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:26 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

A new rule has been added.

15. Due to excessive abuse of the rules by link spammers, signature links will be permitted, but only for regular members. New members with less than 100 posts are not permitted to have signature links. The Forum Administrator may grant exceptions upon request.

The purpose of this rule is to maintain the integrity of this forum as free from commerical advertising. It seems that quite a few new members are signing up for the sole purpose of posting a commerical link in either their post or signature. This will not be permitted or tolerated.

New members who are not spambots may request permission to use signature links and in most cases, this permission will be granted freely. The goal here is not to limit the use of signature links but to eliminate commerical spam.