Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jul 4th 2014, 02:17 PM
Citizen

Default Re: Yevpatoria

Nationalists are everywhere, but they are not a good example of the whole nation. We have idiots in Poland as well - they are simply everywhere; it happens when love to a fatherland became obsession.

What about Rus - there was Kievan Rus and Novigrad Rus in history, which now are considered as a "beginning" of two present-day countries. In general, I personally live on a territory, which was Rus centuries ago.

And we have a term "Moskal" as well, but no one use it today in Poland - sometimes, only by referring to the partitions of Poland ("Reduta Ordona" written by Mickiewicz, for instance). People, who are not that smart, name people from East Slavic countries "ruscy" - it can be connected with Rus, indeed - but I personally hate this term as due to it I cannot be sure about who they are talking about by saying "ruscy". Some even less smart people claim that in the name of a food - "pierogi ruskie" - is a silly mistake, because these are Polish. They do not understand that their name refer to Ruthenia. However "Moskal" is not often used today. At least I hear it rare.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 09:59 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

I'm glad to see this thread settle down. It is too easy to take offense with issues that involve nationalism.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 08:44 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Nationalism = Statism

Individualists oppose Statism

Need I say more?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 06:36 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
Nationalism = Statism

Individualists oppose Statism

Need I say more?
Well, the problem is that 'patriotism = nationalism'.

And individualists often are patriots.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 01:19 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Well, the problem is that 'patriotism = nationalism'.

And individualists often are patriots.
By definition patriots love their country, but "country" is not exactly the same as "government."

"Country" can mean family and friends, traditions, the beauty of the land, but not necessarily the government.

Thus yes, a person can probably by definition be a patriot and an individualist. An example might be German individualists who loved Germany and its traditions, but didn't support the NAZI government.

However, if you endorse the idea of "My government, right or wrong," or "I love being governed," period, I'd say that you are definitely a statist.

Last edited by Tom Palven; Jul 16th 2014 at 01:23 PM.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 02:39 PM
Globetrotter

Beach near here

"Empty", according to Ukrainian media
Old Jul 17th 2014, 05:25 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Palven View Post
By definition patriots love their country, but "country" is not exactly the same as "government."

"Country" can mean family and friends, traditions, the beauty of the land, but not necessarily the government.

Thus yes, a person can probably by definition be a patriot and an individualist. An example might be German individualists who loved Germany and its traditions, but didn't support the NAZI government.

However, if you endorse the idea of "My government, right or wrong," or "I love being governed," period, I'd say that you are definitely a statist.
I think you are drawing a false dichotomy here. One doesn't choose between being an "individualist" vs a "statist". That's not how the game works. In reality, you only get to choose between "statist" and "anarchist".

Calling oneself an 'individualist' may sound nice, but it doesn't mean much when you depend entirely upon society for your existence.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 04:10 PM
Globetrotter

The Crimean economy is suffering terribly since it is a long long time since last time there were so few tourists.

Ukrainians are staying away on principle, while Russians, not sharing a border with the Crimea, aren't willing to spend lots of money going somewhere far away just out of Putin support.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 05:23 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
The Crimean economy is suffering terribly since it is a long long time since last time there were so few tourists.

Ukrainians are staying away on principle, while Russians, not sharing a border with the Crimea, aren't willing to spend lots of money going somewhere far away just out of Putin support.
Nick, who are you kidding? I just got back from Crimea, remember? The beaches are full. See the photo from two posts before yours For God's sake, man, you are making a fool of yourself, repeating silly Ukrainian propaganda like a dumb parrot...
Old Aug 7th 2014, 09:42 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Nick, who are you kidding? I just got back from Crimea, remember? The beaches are full. See the photo from two posts before yours For God's sake, man, you are making a fool of yourself, repeating silly Ukrainian propaganda like a dumb parrot...
I believe the BBC - and you don't have grounds to declare it untrue that it's the worst year in Crimean tourism in many many.