Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Apr 27th 2010, 06:20 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Driving Atlantic to Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Also, just FYI, if you want to hit as many cities as possible (just read that in your prior posts), you could head due south from Montana passing through Billings (big city where I come from ;-)), and then catch the Cheyenne Frontier Days in July. One of the biggest cities in Wyoming, especially during Frontier Days, and also, the state capital. Denver is just a spit away from Cheyenne and you can pass by my first Alma Matter - visit Korymir. Just keep driving South until you run into the Grand Canyon - but not literally - since that is apparently the only scenery on your agenda.

But seriously, I'm kidding. It would take you more than a day to get from Billings to Denver and there are no cities between, just the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody, Thermopolis: the city of mineral hot springs and buffalo...errr...bison and a dinosaur museum (they find lots of em out there), indian reservations (actually not fun to visit), sage brush. I guess there's Atlantic City - NOT a city!! Kinda cool though. Sinks Canyon is pretty.

If you think about it Michael, there aren't a lot of really noteworthy cities in the center of the US - lakes area excluded.

St. Louis is pretty much out of your way. What else is there? Lincoln, NE. Kansas City, KA and MO. ewww.

I touched a real t-rex skull in that museum! And I have a dead fish I bought from there, too!

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30
Old Apr 28th 2010, 12:10 AM
World Citizen

Oh yes, that's right! You also saw real live neanderthals roaming the isles of WalMart store number four billion eight hundred and seven.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 02:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHC View Post
Oh yes, that's right! You also saw real live neanderthals roaming the isles of WalMart store number four billion eight hundred and seven.
I live in a rural area and see numerous neanderthals shopping at the local Walmart. From drawings of them I'd seen I wasn't aware they were so huge but they have adapted well to the store provided electric carts.
Old May 6th 2010, 08:23 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Have to get a cheesy photo standing by the Hollywood sign and that Chinese restaurant! And Venice Beach. That's about it for the LA leg!
I did New York to L.A. with one of my sons a couple years ago and also made sure to do the Hollywood sign shot. But the Chinese restaurant, what's that? We went to strip bars instead, - thought that was the thing to do in L.A.
Old May 6th 2010, 08:53 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMadsen View Post
I did New York to L.A. with one of my sons a couple years ago and also made sure to do the Hollywood sign shot. But the Chinese restaurant, what's that? We went to strip bars instead, - thought that was the thing to do in L.A.
Strip bars? Pffft. The names may change (Candy v Candi), but they're all the same. In L.A., my favorite haunts were hole-in-the-wall bars with live music. You wouldn't believe who would show up to play in the tiniest places.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:06 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Strip bars? Pffft. The names may change (Candy v Candi), but they're all the same. In L.A., my favorite haunts were hole-in-the-wall bars with live music. You wouldn't believe who would show up to play in the tiniest places.
Well, I could say it was part of studying folklore (for example, we found out that you guys have strip bars where alcohol is allowed and some where alcohol is not allowed) but who am I kidding, - two guys on the road for four weeks, yeah, there was written nudy bar all over.

Anyhow, regarding that Chinese restaurant, did Michael mean the Chinese Theater?
Old May 6th 2010, 10:11 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Anyhow, regarding that Chinese restaurant, did Michael mean the Chinese Theater?
Yes. That was established earlier in the thread.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:13 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Yes. That was established earlier in the thread.
Oh ok, missed that. Thanks.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:22 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Oh ok, missed that. Thanks.
The part of California that I want to really see is driving up the Pacific coastal highway from LA to SF.
Old May 6th 2010, 10:33 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
The part of California that I want to really see is driving up the Pacific coastal highway from LA to SF.
That was one of the most memorable parts of our trip! We went from S.F. to L.A. and it was absolutely stunning.

Not that it's much of an inspiration, I'm sure (see below) but just to contribute a bit, here's the (northern) route we did: NYC, Buffalo (the Niagara stuff), Cleveland, Toledo, Chicago, south of Des Moines to Omaha, Rapid City (Badlands, Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore and various caves in that area), Devils Tower, Billings, Yellowstone, down Idaho, Salt Lake City, Las Vegas (including Gran Canyon, of course), Death Valley, San Francisco and down the coast to L.A.

All in all a great trip that took 25 days with only two days of not driving. But I'm not sure I can recommend it, partly because I have no other references and partly because we are way more interested in geography and nature than you apparently are. For example, our stay in Chigaco amounted to an elevator ride to the panorama deck in Sears Tower, a visit to an Italian restaurant and then back on the road. Not your idea of recreation time, I'm sure

We do have a trip at a southern route in mind so reading about your plans and all the excellent advice in this thread is great.