Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:11 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Driving Atlantic to Pacific

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily View Post
Michael, check out the area around Santa Fe/Taos, New Mexico. Just gorgeous. In fact, that whole four corners area is superb road trip territory -- New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado and Utah.
I second that recommendation. You could eliminate most worn down Eastern, Midwest and Southern states for more time in true natural beauty from the Rockies West.

Quote:
If you do go to the area, check out Rancho_de_Chamayo. Great food in an old adobe hacienda with spectacular views and, they also have a few very nice guest rooms.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I second that recommendation. You could eliminate most worn down Eastern, Midwest and Southern states for more time in true natural beauty from the Rockies West.
Yes, that's probably true, but natural beauty isn't our priority here.

Our trip is actually motivated by a desire to see as many cities as possible. We are urbanites to the core.

Nice scenery is just the stuff to fill the gaps between the cities. Cities and people are interesting to me, geography not so much.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:52 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yes, that's probably true, but natural beauty isn't our priority here.

Our trip is actually motivated by a desire to see as many cities as possible. We are urbanites to the core.

Nice scenery is just the stuff to fill the gaps between the cities. Cities and people are interesting to me, geography not so much.
Understandable but I think you're going to be disappointed with the results of urban sprawl. With some exceptions US inner-cities have been 'revitalized' to a point of quaint blah surrounded by poverty and shopping malls. But fun is where one finds it.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Understandable but I think you're going to be disappointed with the results of urban sprawl. With some exceptions US inner-cities have been 'revitalized' to a point of quaint blah surrounded by poverty and shopping malls. But fun is where one finds it.
US urban blight is interesting to observe. We don't have any of that up here and most countries I've been to don't have it either. It is an apparently unique phenomena.

Seeing North Phily (aka Germantown) about fifteen years ago was an awe-inspiring experience.

Mountain ranges are a dime a dozen. I've driven through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. That's impressive, but I found North Phily far more memorable and interesting.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 01:12 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
US urban blight is interesting to observe. We don't have any of that up here and most countries I've been to don't have it either. It is an apparently unique phenomena.

Seeing North Phily (aka Germantown) about fifteen years ago was an awe-inspiring experience.

Mountain ranges are a dime a dozen. I've driven through the Rockies from Calgary to Vancouver. That's impressive, but I found North Phily far more memorable and interesting.
You're going to love Southern California. It covers half that state with pure urban blight.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 06:18 PM
This wine needs more whisky

The Appalachian region is beautiful. Not much to do besides site seeing/scenic driving, but it is honestly some of the beautifulest country I have ever seen.

You probably aren't going to be driving down near these parts, but if you should ever get the chance...
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
The Appalachian region is beautiful. Not much to do besides site seeing/scenic driving, but it is honestly some of the beautifulest country I have ever seen.

You probably aren't going to be driving down near these parts, but if you should ever get the chance...
Well, it would really depend on the route - if we head to Washington/Baltimore/Philadelphia area first, then we are going to have to cut west somehow and that takes one through the Appalchians doesn't it? I know our initial projected route included St.Louis and across Kansas (passes through Wichita!) before turning southwest towards New Mexico. This is an interstate route, but hey, its the plains anyway.

(I have a weird and irrational passion for the name of Wichita, Kansas - I just have to go there!)

Anyway, this trip is still entirely in the planning stages, just collecting ideas to see if the trip is 'doable'. It sounded interesting so I'm just fishing for ideas!

I really haven't been to the US southwest and I'd like to see that desert and the Grand Canyon and Vegas. But Vegas can be done easily with a 3-4 day flight vacation so it is a low-priority. And there's a whole bunch of the 'flyover' country I've never seen. The Rockies are always spectacular no matter what part of them you see.

If it wasn't for Katrina, New Orleans would have been very high on the list, but alas we'll probably skip it on this trip.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 08:05 PM
Bad Motherfucker

Quote:
Well, it would really depend on the route - if we head to Washington/Baltimore/Philadelphia area first, then we are going to have to cut west somehow and that takes one through the Appalchians doesn't it? I know our initial projected route included St.Louis and across Kansas (passes through Wichita!) before turning southwest towards New Mexico. This is an interstate route, but hey, its the plains anyway.

(I have a weird and irrational passion for the name of Wichita, Kansas - I just have to go there!)

Anyway, this trip is still entirely in the planning stages, just collecting ideas to see if the trip is 'doable'. It sounded interesting so I'm just fishing for ideas!

I really haven't been to the US southwest and I'd like to see that desert and the Grand Canyon and Vegas. But Vegas can be done easily with a 3-4 day flight vacation so it is a low-priority. And there's a whole bunch of the 'flyover' country I've never seen. The Rockies are always spectacular no matter what part of them you see.

If it wasn't for Katrina, New Orleans would have been very high on the list, but alas we'll probably skip it on this trip.
You'll pass through northern Appalachia (Pennsylvania, West Virginia) if you go through Cincinnati. The mountains are pretty, but you'll get an eye-full of some of the nastiest little towns in America. That's not the Appalachia I care for.

From Cincy, I recommend cutting to Louisville and going along the Ohio for as long as possible. Indiana and Illinois are terribly flat and boring. From Paducah, you can cut up to St. Louis in a short amount of time. (You don't want to skip East St. Louis, but you may want to pick up a piece before you go.)
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 09:11 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy View Post
You'll pass through northern Appalachia (Pennsylvania, West Virginia) if you go through Cincinnati. The mountains are pretty, but you'll get an eye-full of some of the nastiest little towns in America. That's not the Appalachia I care for.
Haven't been through West By God Virgina in over 20 years, but even in that era they were nasty little towns. Built on boom time coal mining, not much has changed other than the company towns being occupied by some very bitter, tough people. Michael may find them interesting, but I felt it was the pits.

Quote:
From Cincy, I recommend cutting to Louisville and going along the Ohio for as long as possible. Indiana and Illinois are terribly flat and boring. From Paducah, you can cut up to St. Louis in a short amount of time. (You don't want to skip East St. Louis, but you may want to pick up a piece before you go.)
He's Canadian. Only we Americans view mingling in areas containing often desperate people due cause to carry solutions for unexpected violence. I'd pick up a piece upon entering the US as I'm a big fan of adequate insurance.
Old Apr 23rd 2010, 09:54 PM
World Citizen

Quote:

If you've never seen the Grand Canyon, you have to go. It's the one natural wonder that doesn't disappoint. Truly magnificent. Then head south and you'll drive through the Sedona area, then into Phoenix. There's plenty of desert all around you there, especially if you're heading into L.A. from Phoenix. You'll go right through a whole bunch of desert, including the Palm Springs area.

In fact, just head west from the Santa Fe/Taos/Albuquerque area in New Mexico and you'll end up at the Grand Canyon.