Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:02 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Where would you like to travel to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
At least it is Texas and not Kentucky

How many people say, "Oooohhh...I want to go to Kentucky for summer vacation!"? We just get used for the Derby and that is only once a year.
I attended a Derby and what a party that was. I have no desire to live anywhere in the bible belt, Midwest or on the US East Coast. Someone else can populate those areas with horrific summer humidity. There are better places.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:11 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Look on the bright side. Kentucky is way more 'attractive' than Kansas or Nebraska!
True true, considering I have only drove through Kansas once in my life. I don't think I have even been in Nebraska.

Kentucky is a beautiful state, but there is nothing to really attract anyone to come here other than that. People need instant gratification to be entertained and well, one isn't going to find that right off the bat when visiting here.

The county where TDG grew up, is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:23 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I attended a Derby and what a party that was. I have no desire to live anywhere in the bible belt, Midwest or on the US East Coast. Someone else can populate those areas with horrific summer humidity. There are better places.
When I lived in Louisville, Churchill Downs was four blocks or so from my dorm. I was somewhat disappointed when I saw it for the first time. It appeared rather small to me considering what it is. It always cracked me up that this wonderful and exquisite place was only a couple blocks away from the ghetto.

I am sure it was quite the party indeed. The Galt House, located on the river front would temporarily hire students in mass quantities for Derby and Thunder over Louisville (the largest firework show in North America). Students would always come back bragging about who they saw and how much money they made on tips.

People that didn't attend Derby, obviously still had Derby Parties and the traffic is horrific. I got a "little" high and got caught in a traffic jam on an empty tank of gas once. I just parked my car and walked back to campus
Old Jan 6th 2010, 09:47 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
I wouldn't waste the time on TX. New Mexico has more diversity. For CA, Santa Barbara north.
Part of it is for the BBQ.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 10:10 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
I'd like to go to other states in the U.S. for starters, like California (again), NY, TX, and maybe some others. As for foreign countries: Ireland, England, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Japan, and maybe somewhere in Latin America.
Where in Latin America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Thus, if one doesn't have much money (or is young), doing Europe with hotels and restaurants can be very difficult - youthful backpacking, trains and hostels might be the way to go there (or the same in Central/South America).

If you are over 30, the cheap backpack/hostel travel system becomes more difficult (youth travel hostels are almost always restricted to under 30 or under 25). Alternatively, driving around the US is a good place to travel when one is young because it is fairly cheap with motels and gas (I drove across most of the USA back in my very early 20's when I couldn't afford to go to Europe).
I don't know, there are a lot of hostels that don't have age restrictions. At least in Latin America, it may be different in Europe. I don't know of any that do have restrictions but I do know of some that don't because when I was staying in them, there were also old guys staying there.
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:10 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
Part of it is for the BBQ.
That would be the Deep South. Having been born and raised in Texas, residing in Atlanta as an adult with extensive travel from North Carolina down through Alabama, imo getting superior BBQ in TX would be similar to discovering Kosher food in Bumfuck, ID. It could happen, but the odds would make Vegas joyful.

Nothing against Texas BBQ, I'll eat it, but we didn't start doing it until long, long after Deep South states originated it. Experience does count
Old Jan 6th 2010, 11:20 PM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Where in Latin America?
Brazil of course. And maybe Argentina.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:38 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Where in Latin America?

I don't know, there are a lot of hostels that don't have age restrictions. At least in Latin America, it may be different in Europe. I don't know of any that do have restrictions but I do know of some that don't because when I was staying in them, there were also old guys staying there.
in Europe most places don't have age restrictions in my experience - although some are more youth oriented, some more family oriented.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:40 AM
Villager

I want to go further east than I've been before (well its actually west from here, but you know what I mean). I've been thinking about doingthe trans siberian - or maybe th etrans mongolian ... but I'd like to stop off in a few places along the way.
Old Jan 7th 2010, 10:53 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassandrabandra View Post
in Europe most places don't have age restrictions in my experience - although some are more youth oriented, some more family oriented.
Family oriented hostels? I've never even heard of that!

Free places to stay for families? Are you sure about this?

And I most certainly have seen Youth Hostels in Europe with age restrictions.
I encountered quite a few of them when planning a trip to Europe about a dozen years ago.