Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Nov 1st 2011, 02:44 AM
Official Forum Geek

Default Re: Middle South America

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Concur with Donkey on Buenos Aires. If you've been to any major European city, you've seen everything that BA has to offer, and much that it doesn't. However, I wouldn't say that Argentina is something to pass on. Mendoza and Bariloche are both beautiful - Bariloche is awe-inspiring but rugged, and Mendoza is fine, relaxing, and affordable wine country, with the Andes standing right over you. Both are well worth visiting, and Argentina's a great country.

I've done a long-distance bus in Argentina. It was OK. A couple of Ambien and I slept most of the night (or if I didn't, I don't remember it - nice thing about Ambien). Much of South America lacks good rail service, especially Argentina. It's air or bus. Bus isn't ideal, as it does eat up a lot of time, but it's not the worst thing I've ever done.
Mendoza was one of the places I was thinking of spending some time. My initial shot at an itenerary was Montevideo for a couple of nights, Buenos Aires for a couple, somewhere between BA and Mendoza for a night, Mendoza for 2-3, and Santiago for 2 or 3. But, that's all kind of up in the air at this point. I figure whatever bus riding I'm doing I'll look to portion out into segments that are somewhat manageable and try to enjoy the view. The thought of renting a car inside of Argentina occurs to me, but I'm not sure whether that's worth doing or not.
Old Nov 1st 2011, 01:19 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Mendoza was one of the places I was thinking of spending some time. My initial shot at an itenerary was Montevideo for a couple of nights, Buenos Aires for a couple, somewhere between BA and Mendoza for a night, Mendoza for 2-3, and Santiago for 2 or 3. But, that's all kind of up in the air at this point. I figure whatever bus riding I'm doing I'll look to portion out into segments that are somewhat manageable and try to enjoy the view. The thought of renting a car inside of Argentina occurs to me, but I'm not sure whether that's worth doing or not.
I think that sounds great. I had a great time in Mendoza - some great wine, wonderful food - they do overcook their beef, though - and really neat people. There's an airport in Mendoza that should be able to get you to Santiago (air travel is weird - it's why we had to take a bus to Bariloche). It's a big ass country, for sure.

As far as driving - I wouldn't drive in BA if you paid me. In the countryside? Eh, maybe. Could be very interesting. How's your Spanish?
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 02:09 PM
Official Forum Geek

My Spanish is quite rusty, but I would be able to communicate. I'm thinking I might brush up a little bit. I was fluent when I was younger, so it probably wouldn't take much to get back up to speed to some degree.

I meant to ask how important it was to be able to speak the local language.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 02:35 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
My Spanish is quite rusty, but I would be able to communicate. I'm thinking I might brush up a little bit. I was fluent when I was younger, so it probably wouldn't take much to get back up to speed to some degree.

If you're staying on the beaten path, not too important.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 03:19 PM
World Citizen

Quote:

I know enough Spanish to be able to get food & drink, and maybe a room for the night. Granted, I was with a grad school group, but I also wandered quite a bit. I think you'll be OK.

It comes back quickly.
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 03:39 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
I know enough Spanish to be able to get food & drink, and maybe a room for the night. Granted, I was with a grad school group, but I also wandered quite a bit. I think you'll be OK.

It comes back quickly.
Yo quiero un quilmes por favor!
Old Nov 2nd 2011, 05:29 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yo quiero un quilmes por favor!
Noooooooooo!

Yo quiero un cerveza!