Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Oct 22nd 2011, 09:03 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: More Weather

Indian summer here, low 70s/days, 40s nights. That'll change next week as a cold front moves in with a high pressure system right behind it. Our first freeze of the season is forecast for next Tuesday. Sunny but cold.

According to weather oracles the Pacific Northwest is in for another La Niña winter due to cold Pacific Ocean temperatures where our winter/spring weather systems develop. Lots of moisture with rain/snow according to elevation. Same as last year. I like rain and snow.
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Indian summer here, low 70s/days, 40s nights. That'll change next week as a cold front moves in with a high pressure system right behind it. Our first freeze of the season is forecast for next Tuesday. Sunny but cold.

According to weather oracles the Pacific Northwest is in for another La Niña winter due to cold Pacific Ocean temperatures where our winter/spring weather systems develop. Lots of moisture with rain/snow according to elevation. Same as last year. I like rain and snow.
We had a warm cycle move through here about a week or two ago. It seemed like a miniature 'heat wave' in mid-October. It was absolutely beautiful weather - entirely unseasonal!
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 11:14 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
We had a warm cycle move through here about a week or two ago. It seemed like a miniature 'heat wave' in mid-October. It was absolutely beautiful weather - entirely unseasonal!
Again, our weather pretty much exactly mirrors Toronto in terms of trends.

The sun is out again today, though. It's still kind of chilly.
Old Oct 24th 2011, 10:35 AM
World Citizen

Been very nice here, too - went for a hike at 9000 feet yesterday, and there were dustings of snow here and there, with a few crusts of ice around the edges of the stream we were walking along.

Winter storm watch for Wednesday, calling for 8-16" of snow. We'll see if that changes. If not, I guess I get to test out the new snowblower!
Old Nov 6th 2011, 11:59 AM
Globetrotter

Snow here last night, enough to cover the ground. According to the weather service, our earliest snowfall in 41-years.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 12:45 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Snow here last night, enough to cover the ground. According to the weather service, our earliest snowfall in 41-years.
Wow!

I'd freak out to see snow on the ground here at this time of year. We occasionally get an early snowstorm around the last week in November, but that's pretty rare thing. Snow doesn't usually show up until December here.

Btw, I've never been able to figure out if you which side of the Cascades you live (east or west). That seems to make a big difference in everything in Washington and Oregon (weather & socio-economics).
Old Nov 6th 2011, 12:47 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Been very nice here, too - went for a hike at 9000 feet yesterday, and there were dustings of snow here and there, with a few crusts of ice around the edges of the stream we were walking along.

Winter storm watch for Wednesday, calling for 8-16" of snow. We'll see if that changes. If not, I guess I get to test out the new snowblower!
That must be very cool (literally!) to go hiking at amost 2 miles above sea level (1.7 miles to be exact). Air must be pretty thin up there.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 01:30 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Wow!

I'd freak out to see snow on the ground here at this time of year. We occasionally get an early snowstorm around the last week in November, but that's pretty rare thing. Snow doesn't usually show up until December here.

Btw, I've never been able to figure out if you which side of the Cascades you live (east or west). That seems to make a big difference in everything in Washington and Oregon (weather & socio-economics).
Western. The east side gets fierce winter weather and I had enough of that in Oregon's Panhandle.

Other than perhaps Portland the entire state never actually recovered from the economic decline in Timber products that began in the 1980s. The usual problems of an undereducated workforce (getting worse), ingrained dependency on harvesting natural resources and little urban attraction for high tech industry location. Taxes are decent but what industry there is outside of agriculture and energy generation is relocating to right to work states and offshore.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 06:30 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
We've already had 2 substantial snows, though the streets have enough residual heat to keep them clear. Ski resorts are opening up, too.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 08:13 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
We've already had 2 substantial snows, though the streets have enough residual heat to keep them clear. Ski resorts are opening up, too.
I'm st 1700'. This area averages 6" of snow/yr.

Lucky skiers. Anything before Turkey Day is a bonus.