Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Jan 25th 2015, 06:44 PM
Resident Historian

Default Re: More Weather

Apparently predictions for the next few days range from 2" of light snow to 24" delivered by a raging blizzard.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 12:07 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Apparently predictions for the next few days range from 2" of light snow to 24" delivered by a raging blizzard.
That's quite the range
Old Jan 26th 2015, 02:07 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
That's quite the range
They've narrowed it down considerably now. Last time I checked, the window was between 8" and 16," though I guess that's still a big range. Apparently we're right on the edge of two cells colliding and exactly where they'll meet depends a great deal on which model you're using.
Old Jan 26th 2015, 08:44 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

We just got a bit of snow (couple inches or so), but temperatures dropped big time. We're down to -11C or 11F today. Its been around 0C/32F for the last week or so.
Old Jan 27th 2015, 10:09 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
They've narrowed it down considerably now. Last time I checked, the window was between 8" and 16," though I guess that's still a big range. Apparently we're right on the edge of two cells colliding and exactly where they'll meet depends a great deal on which model you're using.
Last night they'd revised down to 6-12".

Based on the weather this morning, I'm guessing we end up with 3-4. So much for Snowmegeddon here. Looks grim in New England though...
Old Jun 30th 2015, 11:13 AM
Globetrotter

Freaking heatwave coming. Temps as high as 33C-35C from Wednesday till at least Saturday and on Sunday either 24C or 37-39C depending on which weather forecast you believe, lol.

Educational addendum: C -> F
24 -> 75
33 -> 91
35 -> 95
37 -> 99
39 -> 102

Morituri te salutant.
Old Jun 30th 2015, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Freaking heatwave coming. Temps as high as 33C-35C from Wednesday till at least Saturday and on Sunday either 24C or 37-39C depending on which weather forecast you believe, lol.

Educational addendum: C -> F
24 -> 75
33 -> 91
35 -> 95
37 -> 99
39 -> 102

Morituri te salutant.
Anything over 30C or 90F is freaking hot. Anything over 40C or 100F tends to cause a wave of deaths in places that are not accustomed or prepared for such temperatures.
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 02:14 PM
Globetrotter

Long live the North Sea! Long live the Atlantic Ocean!

The fun thing about being on the crossroads between Saharan (sub-)tropical air currents from the south, Atlantic temperate humid air currents from the West, Arctic polar air currents from the north and Eurasian continent dry air from the east is that if any of these currents pushes just a little farther than predicted, the weather can be completely different almost from town to town.
Earlier today the western Atlantic current pushed a bit farther than expected and the result was that at the Belgian coast it was 18C (64F), where I live a score miles further inland it was 22C (72F hooray!) while east of Brussels, a mere 50 miles further, it was 36C (97F). From redemption to hell in 70 miles

Still, Saturday, the tropical current is expected to prevail giving even the coast 37C (99F)
Old Jul 2nd 2015, 03:28 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Long live the North Sea!
Btw, I have a copy of an old 'schoolbook' Atlas that is dated 1920 (and is a British publication). The North Sea is labeled "The German Sea".

Quote:
Still, Saturday, the tropical current is expected to prevail giving even the coast 37C (99F)
Do buildings in Northern Europe have air conditioning? It is almost universal in North America (cars, houses, shopping malls, offices, etc) and apparently almost unheard of in England last time I was over there.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 12:28 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Btw, I have a copy of an old 'schoolbook' Atlas that is dated 1920 (and is a British publication). The North Sea is labeled "The German Sea".
Remarkable. I had never heard of this name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Do buildings in Northern Europe have air conditioning? It is almost universal in North America (cars, houses, shopping malls, offices, etc) and apparently almost unheard of in England last time I was over there.
Northern Europe practically none I think. In Western Europe more and more although I think it's still a tiny percentage of the population. The investment is too high for the few days one needs it in a year. Most cars have it though but that's because they're designed for a global market.
I wish I had it right now though as uncharacteristically for the region the nights aren't cooling resulting in insomnia galore.