Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 8th 2017, 01:39 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Pot legalization in Canada

I don't know if all of you have heard about it yet, but the Canadian government has officially announced that legislation to remove possession of marijuana from the Criminal Code will be introduced in the Spring of 2018 and full legalization will commence, after passage of the law, on July 1st, 2018.

This was a major campaign policy of the [massive] Liberal Party electoral victory in 2015.

Full wide-open retail operations will likely begin on January 1st 2019. Some of the largest retailers in Canada have already been applying for retail licenses and preparing for the new policy (including Shoppers Drug Mart, the largest national drug store chain in the country).

At this time, the only real political debate going on is whether or not all existing 'pot possession' charges would be dismissed/pardoned away at that time.

Strangely enough, there doesn't appear to be any substantive legal, political or social opposition to this policy anywhere in the country. The debate is very quiet. No 'interest groups' appear to be fighting against the proposed policy.

Growing will be done by private market operators under government licences. Retailing will be done the same way, through private market operators under government licenses. Growing or selling without a license will be illegal. Private growing of limited production for private use will be fully legal.

I must admit, I've been impressed that the Liberal government has followed through as completely as they said they would.

I for one am looking forward to next July 1st (Canada Day appropriately enough!).