Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

View Poll Results: Do you want to hear songs in lots of languages?
Yes 2 50.00%
No 1 25.00%
No, because I want to understand the lyrics 1 25.00%
I don't care, I just like voting in polls. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 14th 2013, 05:05 PM
Globetrotter

Default Eurovision

The Eurovision song contest is held every May. It is always broadcast live on TV around Europe and beyond. Almost all European countries, and Israel, enter a singer/group each, with a new song each, and there is a winner (chosen by a collection of juries who all represent the competing countries).

There used to be a rule about each country singing in a language which was official to the country in question. Then they lifted that rule, and now many many many of them sing in English.

Would you like to hear songs sung in lots of different languages at Eurovision, or do you prefer hearing as many songs in English as possible. Or don't you really care?

I'd like to hear songs sung in as many languages as possible.

But I don't think Eurovision should reintroduce the old rule about national languages being used. I just think that it is nice to hear a variety of languages, and would recommend countries using a language which was widespread as a mother-tongue in whichever country it is.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Oct 14th 2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old Oct 14th 2013, 05:57 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Eurovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
The Eurovision song contest is held every May. It is always broadcast live on TV around Europe and beyond. Almost all European countries, and Israel, enter a singer/group each, with a new song each, and there is a winner (chosen by a collection of juries who all represent the competing countries).

There used to be a rule about each country singing in a language which was official to the country in question. Then they lifted that rule, and now many many many of them sing in English.

Would you like to hear songs sung in lots of different languages at Eurovision, or do you prefer hearing as many songs in English as possible. Or don't you really care?

I'd like to hear songs sung in as many languages as possible.

But I don't think Eurovision should reintroduce the old rule about national languages being used. I just think that it is nice to hear a variety of languages, and would recommend countries using a language which was widespread as a mother-tongue in whichever country it is.
I do not watch it anyway, do not like all that pop stuff

That said, I WOULD watch it if it was a real competition between countries, where, as you say, each would sing in their own language and, I would like, folk bands perform against each other, rather than, again, stupid, useless, talentless pop. Each country's national folk music competing against each other, that would be interesting to watch.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 06:13 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I'm betting the singer/competitors don't give a shit about the Eurovision contest - they have their eyes only on a recording contract - which is why they sing in English.
Old Oct 15th 2013, 06:22 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm betting the singer/competitors don't give a shit about the Eurovision contest - they have their eyes only on a recording contract - which is why they sing in English.
But the different countries want to win Eurovision. And they will choose the song to represent them with the biggest chance of doing that. In my opinion, the people of Europe would rather hear a variety of languages, than to hear everything in English.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 07:07 AM
Globetrotter

This is one of my favourite Eurovision songs. It was Iceland's entry in 1988. It is called Socrates, by the group
Beathoven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgpAVZ-0EV4

Ţú og ţeir (Sókrates)

Ég dái Debussy, ég dýrka Tjćkovský
Og Einar Ben og Beethoven og Gunnar Thoroddsen
Ég tilbiđ Harold Lloyd, ég tilbiđ Sigmund Freud
Og John Wayne og Mark Twain og ţig og Michael Caine
Syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um alla ţá sem allir ţrá
Og allir dýrka og dá
Ég syng um Kólumbus og Sólon Islandus
Og Mendelssohn og Paul og John
Og Jón Pál Sigmarsson
Syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um alla ţá sem allir ţráAnd
Og allir dýrka og dáAnd
Hej... syngjum öllum Sókrates, sálarinnar Herkúles
Um ţá sem spá en einkum ţá
Sem fallnir eru frá
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You and they (Socrates)

I admire Debussy, I worship Tschaikovsky
And Einar Ben and Beethoven and Gunnar Thoroddsen
I worship Harold Lloyd, I worship Sigmund Freud
And John Wayne and Mark Twain and you and Michael Caine
Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
And about all of those who are desired by all
And who everyone worships and admires
I sing about Columbus and Solon Islandus
And Mendelssohn and Paul and John
And Jón Páll Sigmarsson
Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
about all of those who are desired by all
who everyone worships and admires
Hey... Let's all sing about Socrates, the Hercules of the soul
And the prophets but particularly those
Who are no longer here among us

http://www.diggiloo.net/?1988is
Old Oct 16th 2013, 02:16 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
First of all, the only time I watch the Eurovision Song Contest is if I'm held captive in front of a television as I was 2012 in Albania, in the pub of the Backpacker Hostel were I was staying, while it was raining cats and dogs outside. Luckily Sweden won and the Albanians were so pleased to have a Swede in their midst that every time Sweden was awarded more points than the other countries they would congratulate me and buy me a drink. Thank you Loreen!

But the lyrics of 98 percent of the songs are such meaningless crap that it doesn't mean all that much to me in what language they sing.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 02:56 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
First of all, the only time I watch the Eurovision Song Contest is if I'm held captive in front of a television as I was 2012 in Albania, in the pub of the Backpacker Hostel were I was staying, while it was raining cats and dogs outside. Luckily Sweden won and the Albanians were so pleased to have a Swede in their midst that every time Sweden was awarded more points than the other countries they would congratulate me and buy me a drink. Thank you Loreen!

But the lyrics of 98 percent of the songs are such meaningless crap that it doesn't mean all that much to me in what language they sing.
But in the past, when most of the songs were incomprehensible to most of the viewers, the meaningfulness of the lyrics wouldn't matter a jot. The singing would just be another instrument, but it would be pleasant to hear a variety of different languages. It's only now that most of the songs are in English, and thus comprehensible to most people, that lyrics are so important.

So what you say tends, in my opinion, to support a vote for the use of many languages at Eurovision.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 03:56 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
But in the past, when most of the songs were incomprehensible to most of the viewers, the meaningfulness of the lyrics wouldn't matter a jot. The singing would just be another instrument, but it would be pleasant to hear a variety of different languages. It's only now that most of the songs are in English, and thus comprehensible to most people, that lyrics are so important.
Well, there was a time when everyone wanted to sing against war .... and there was plenty of that! So at that time understanding what they had to say was an advantage. But nowadays, with no sense written into the lyrics - just flashy dancing, smoke, outrageous costumes and special effects flying all over the stage .........

Quote:
So what you say tends, in my opinion, to support a vote for the use of many languages at Eurovision.
..... yes.
Old Oct 16th 2013, 03:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Well, there was a time when everyone wanted to sing against war .... and there was plenty of that! So at that time understanding what they had to say was an advantage. But nowadays, with no sense written into the lyrics - just flashy dancing, smoke, outrageous costumes and special effects flying all over the stage .........

..... yes.
Thank you
Old Oct 16th 2013, 04:01 PM
World Citizen

The ONLY good song ever that won the Eurovision Song Contest ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAh9NRGNhUU