Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old May 12th 2017, 09:47 AM
TrumpGirl TrumpGirl is offline
Nomad
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 5
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Couldn't resist playing this clip for my US History class today: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.135301ac42bf.



The class literally just finished writing papers on the question 'Why was there a Civil War?'
His question of why was there a Civil War was a rhetorical question. He was asking why America had to resort to war to settle their issues.

Leftist media have intentionally misinterpreted him.
  #172  
Old May 12th 2017, 10:50 AM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,738
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpGirl View Post
His question of why was there a Civil War was a rhetorical question. He was asking why America had to resort to war to settle their issues.

Leftist media have intentionally misinterpreted him.
Why is Trump incapable of ever articulating what he means?
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
  #173  
Old May 12th 2017, 06:01 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,629
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrumpGirl View Post
His question of why was there a Civil War was a rhetorical question. He was asking why America had to resort to war to settle their issues.

Leftist media have intentionally misinterpreted him.
Trump was asserting that all America needed was a President like Andrew Jackson to 'solve' the slavery problem and avoid the civil war. That statement is definitely worthy of ridicule regardless of partisanship.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #174  
Old May 13th 2017, 05:20 PM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is online now
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,036
Default Re: The Trump Regime

I'm still trying to figure out what to make Trump's tweet to Comey about "tapes."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump
"James Comey better hope that there are no "tapes" of our conversations before he starts leaking to the press!"
It's clearly the president threatening the FBI director he just fired, which alone marks it for the "this is not normal" file, but there are also the bizarre facets that:

1) Trump is, himself, bringing up the possibility that he's secretly recording people at the White House. Not only does that invite comparisons to Nixon as surely as his declaring "I am not a crook!" would, but it practically begs Congress to launch further investigation and subpoena such recordings if they exist. Recordings no one would ever have imagined to ask for had Trump not gone out of his way to mention them.

and 2) Trump seems either coy or uncertain about whether he has "tapes" or not. Presumably he knows and could just say "Comey and I discussed X and I have tapes to prove it if necessary." It's like he's undercutting the effectiveness of his own threat.

In short, I'm completely perplexed by what Trump hoped to gain by this tweet. Even with the most generous assumption (i.e. that Trump's account of his meetings with Comey is 100% accurate and he just wants to keep Comey from lying about it), why on earth would he make his threat publicly on Twitter instead of privately to Comey?
__________________
kyrie eleison
  #175  
Old May 14th 2017, 04:56 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,738
Default Re: The Trump Regime

I think trying to read too much of a finesse strategy into his actions is a mistake. I think he's terrible at it, not playing some five dimensional chess.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
  #176  
Old May 15th 2017, 06:37 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,629
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
I'm still trying to figure out what to make Trump's tweet to Comey about "tapes."
Unhinged idiot lashing out with nonsense because he's not getting praised for something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
It's clearly the president threatening the FBI director he just fired, which alone marks it for the "this is not normal" file, but there are also the bizarre facets that:

1) Trump is, himself, bringing up the possibility that he's secretly recording people at the White House. Not only does that invite comparisons to Nixon as surely as his declaring "I am not a crook!" would, but it practically begs Congress to launch further investigation and subpoena such recordings if they exist. Recordings no one would ever have imagined to ask for had Trump not gone out of his way to mention them.

and 2) Trump seems either coy or uncertain about whether he has "tapes" or not. Presumably he knows and could just say "Comey and I discussed X and I have tapes to prove it if necessary." It's like he's undercutting the effectiveness of his own threat.

In short, I'm completely perplexed by what Trump hoped to gain by this tweet. Even with the most generous assumption (i.e. that Trump's account of his meetings with Comey is 100% accurate and he just wants to keep Comey from lying about it), why on earth would he make his threat publicly on Twitter instead of privately to Comey?
I think Trump just abandoned the script.

I think Donkey's point is spot on. With Trump, there is no strategy or plan, it is all just a stream of conscience flowing out.

It is particularly amusing when Trump goes off the script because all his minions and spokespeople are still trying to stick to the originally agreed script (which is usually just lies & propaganda) and then get hung out to dry when Trumpy skips the script and starts spilling the good stuff!
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #177  
Old May 16th 2017, 03:37 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,738
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Well, if casually sharing highly classified intelligence information from a 3rd party partner with Russian officials wasn't enough...

THE THIRD PARTY WAS ISRAEL.



Wowza.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
  #178  
Old May 16th 2017, 05:48 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,629
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Well, if casually sharing highly classified intelligence information from a 3rd party partner with Russian officials wasn't enough...

THE THIRD PARTY WAS ISRAEL.



Wowza.
Yeah, Trump has been even more of a disaster than I would have predicted.

He just fucking burned a top secret Israeli intelligence source.

I wonder what stupid thing Trump will do tomorrow?

Just think, this guy has been President for less than six months and I think this is like his 3rd or 4th impeachable offense.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
  #179  
Old May 16th 2017, 07:27 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,738
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Yeah, Trump has been even more of a disaster than I would have predicted.

He just fucking burned a top secret Israeli intelligence source.

I wonder what stupid thing Trump will do tomorrow?

Just think, this guy has been President for less than six months and I think this is like his 3rd or 4th impeachable offense.
I'm no expert on the matter, but this may actually be one of his most legal fuckups!?

But it will have a lot of fall out.
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
  #180  
Old May 16th 2017, 11:10 PM
dilettante's Avatar
dilettante dilettante is online now
Moderator
Resident Historian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 3,036
Default Re: The Trump Regime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I'm no expert on the matter, but this may actually be one of his most legal fuckups!?

But it will have a lot of fall out.
Yeah, as best I can tell, he's pretty in the clear with the classified intel thing (legally). I think the president has nearly open ended powers when it comes to deciding how and when something should be "declassified," so its really hard to make a case for him ever giving away classified information.

This, on the other hand, might be a real legal problem if it's accurate and Comey testifies: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.904041f711bf

I think the notes of an FBI official are legally admissible evidence in court. If Comey's notes (from before Trump fired him) show Trump invited him to the Whitehouse and directly asked him to drop the investigation of Flynn, that sounds to me like a text-book case of obstruction of justice [though of course I've never read a relevant textbook on that subject, so...]
__________________
kyrie eleison
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com