Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Apr 13th 2011, 08:32 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I'm kind of looking forward to that. All of the places we are going to be staying are within a few hours of one another, which means that we have plenty of time to roam to places that we aren't actually staying. I'd imagine that it's how someone would feel on a week-long trip where they planned to visit DC, New York City, Philadelphia and Boston for seeing historical US scenery.
Considering Ireland's recent economic collapse and mass emigration you should be well treated visitors.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 08:51 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I've done it.

I'm definitely a city person. Travel to rustic places doesn't interest me at all. I want people, history, buildings and culture, not pretty geography.
Visiting the cities is not the same as doing a week long tourist circuit!

I've never been to NYC or Philadelphia (maybe as a wee child don't remember). I've spent very limited time in Boston, but I always enjoy my visits to DC.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:12 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
The Smithsonian is worth a week on its own.
Agreed. That's an easy place to get happily lost.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:21 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm definitely a city person. Travel to rustic places doesn't interest me at all. I want people, history, buildings and culture, not pretty geography.
For travel, I'm fine with visiting cities, generally because that means being there for a week or less at a time. I lived in a busy section of Chicago for a while, so it's not a lack of familiarity. It's more that I don't like crowds and noise and whatnot. For small periods of time, visiting cities, curiosity and desire for new experiences outweighs this consideration, but after a while, I want to leave.

I also like visiting rustic places, though. I'm something of an equal opportunity traveler. With cities, though, there certainly tends to be a higher concentration of sights to see and places of interest.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:27 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
Considering Ireland's recent economic collapse and mass emigration you should be well treated visitors.
I thought things might be relatively cheaper, but the price of car rental and hotels isn't much less than I would expect to spend in the US for an average stay in a city and car rental. I booked through a travel agent, so I don't know what the individual prices were, but I think it works out to something like $100 per night for the hotels. Car rental for the week was $400 or $500 for an automatic (I could have saved a lot with manual, but I'm not sure that I want to figure out shifting with my left hand in addition to driving on the wrong side of the road, especially if this figuring out is preceded by a night of festivities in a local pub).
Old May 17th 2011, 02:47 PM
World Citizen

Just got back from a long weekend in Sedona, AZ. My in-laws have a real love of the desert, so they invite us to stay with them when they're out there. It's pretty, and I took some pictures that I'm hoping turned out (haven't had time to look), but I still don't get the passion for the desert that they have. I need me some shade after a while.
Old May 17th 2011, 03:39 PM
Villager

I was in Arkansas last week for work. It was flat and ridiculously humid, but the hotel was nice.
Old May 18th 2011, 09:48 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda View Post
I was in Arkansas last week for work. It was flat and ridiculously humid, but the hotel was nice.
I spent time in the humid South. It did take nice hotels and other pleasurable escape for me to rationalize my time there. I found the Midwestern US climate impossible to rationalize.
Old May 18th 2011, 11:04 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Arkansas ain't in any midwest that I'm familiar with.
Old May 19th 2011, 01:04 AM
This wine needs more whisky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Arkansas ain't in any midwest that I'm familiar with.
Being devil's advocate (?) here, maybe the (personal) interpretation of the midwest is based upon geographical location?

Arkansas is definitely south of Kentucky and Ohio Coming from the "far" west well...