Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Forum Games

Forum Games Simple games for amusement.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 01:44 PM
partofme's Avatar
partofme partofme is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
+2 to Santana for being old as sin and still an amazing guitarist, and for exploring new genres and mixing and matching as music evolves.
+1 to Zeppelin for being Awesome.
-1 to Lynyrd Skynyrd because I get a vaguely bigoted vibe from them most of the time.
-2 to the Grateful Dead because I can't stand them.

I'm totally with you on Skynyrd and The Grateful Dead. Skynard is so overrated and much of it just comes from the whole southern pride thing.

The reason so many people trip acid at Dead concerts is you have to be fucked up to actually enjoy that shit. I feel the same way about many jam bands actually.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 01:48 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
12. Björk (23)
65. Pink Floyd (22)
10. The Beatles (22)
46. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (22)
73. Radiohead (22)
19. David Bowie and The Spiders From Mars (22)
56. Led Zeppelin (22)
80. Santana (22)
28. Cream (21)
66. The Pixies (21)
01. Abba (21)
00. 10CC (20)
02. AC/DC (20)
03. Aerosmith (20)
04. Alice In Chains (20)
05. The Allman Brothers (20)
06. The Animals (20)
07. The Band (20)
08. The Beach Boys (20)
09. The Beastie Boys (20)
13. Black Eyed Peas (20)
14. Black Sabbath (20)
15. Blind Faith (20)
16. Blondie (20)
18. Boston (20)
20. James Brown and the JBs (20)
21. Buena Vista Social Club (20)
22. Buffalo Springfield (20)
23. Kate Bush (20)
24. Johny Cash (20)
25. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (20)
26. The Clash (20)
29. Creedence Clearwater Revival (20)
30. Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young) (20)
31. The Cure (20)
32. Deep Purple (20)
33. Derek and the Dominos (20)
35. The Doors (20)
36. Bob Dylan (20)
38. Earth Wind and Fire (20)
39. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (20)
40. Fleetwood Mac (20)
41. Foreigner (20)
42. Genesis (20)
45. Isaac Hayes and the Movement (20)
47. Iron Maiden (20)
48. Jefferson Airplane (20)
49. Jethro Tull (20)
50. Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company (20)
52. Judas Priest (20)
53. Kansas (20)
54. King Crimson (20)
55. The Kinks (20)
58. Bob Marley and the Wailers (20)
60. Motorhead (20)
61. Nirvana (20)
62. Roy Orbison (20)
63. Pavement (20)
64. Pearl Jam (20)
67. The Police (20)
68. Iggy Pop (20)
69. Elvis Presley (20)
70. The Pretenders (20)
71. Prince and the Revolution (20)
72. Queen (20)
74. Rage Against The Machine (20)
75. the Ramones (20)
76. Red Hot Chili Peppers (20)
78. The Rolling Stones (20)
79. Rush (20)
81. The Scorpions (20)
82. Sex Pistols (20)
83. Sly and the Family Stone (20)
84. Sonic Youth (20)
86. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (20)
87. Steely Dan (20)
88. Supertramp (20)
89. The Talking Heads (20)
89. Tool (20)
90. Traffic (20)
91. Tina Turner (20)
92. U2 (20)
93. Van Halen (20)
94. The Velvet Underground (20)
95. The Who (20)
96. Yes (20)
97. Neil Young (20)
98. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (20)
99. ZZ Top (20)
85. Soundgarden (18)
34. Dire Straits (19)
43. Guns 'N Roses (19)
51. Journey (19)
27. Coldplay (19)
37. The Eagles (19)
59. Metallica (19)
11. The Bee Gees (19)
57. Lynyrd Skynyrd (19)
44. The Grateful Dead (18)
77. R.E.M. (18)
17. Bon Jovi (14)
Speaking of guitarists, there is but one God in that department: Jimi + 2
And Jimmy Page isn't half bad either : +1 for the Zep

Minus 1 for the Eagles, because besides Hotel California all their songs are so, well, boring really.

Minus 2 for REM. For being wussies really
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 01:58 PM
Dominick's Avatar
Dominick Dominick is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dying Europe
Posts: 3,837
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Not to mention Mozart, Bach and Beethoven, who were (arguably) great musical artists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
I also might suggest amending the title to "Best Rock-Type Artist". Aside from Johnny Cash (country) and a few other exceptions, that's mostly what we have here. No BB King, Mozart, Miles Davis, Biggie Smalls, etc, indicates that those respective genres are not being considered.
We should have user adjustable thread titles
Call it what you will No definition will suit this arbitrary selection.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 02:00 PM
Donkey's Avatar
Donkey Donkey is offline
Official Forum Mascot
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 7,771
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
Speaking of guitarists, there is but one God in that department: Jimi + 2
And Jimmy Page isn't half bad either : +1 for the Zep
Aw, I disagree. I would say there is a whole pantheon of guitar gods, but Mr. Hendrix is certainly one of them!
__________________
"It is essential that there should be organization of labor. This is an era of organization. Capital organizes and therefore labor must organize."
Theodore Roosevelt
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 02:26 PM
partofme's Avatar
partofme partofme is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
12. Björk (23)
65. Pink Floyd (22)
10. The Beatles (22)
46. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (22)
73. Radiohead (22)
19. David Bowie and The Spiders From Mars (22)
56. Led Zeppelin (22)
80. Santana (22)
54. King Crimson (22)
63. Pavement (21)
28. Cream (21)
66. The Pixies (21)
01. Abba (21)
00. 10CC (20)
02. AC/DC (20)
04. Alice In Chains (20)
05. The Allman Brothers (20)
06. The Animals (20)
07. The Band (20)
08. The Beach Boys (20)
09. The Beastie Boys (20)
13. Black Eyed Peas (20)
14. Black Sabbath (20)
15. Blind Faith (20)
16. Blondie (20)
18. Boston (20)
20. James Brown and the JBs (20)
21. Buena Vista Social Club (20)
22. Buffalo Springfield (20)
23. Kate Bush (20)
24. Johny Cash (20)
25. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (20)
26. The Clash (20)
29. Creedence Clearwater Revival (20)
30. Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young) (20)
31. The Cure (20)
32. Deep Purple (20)
33. Derek and the Dominos (20)
35. The Doors (20)
36. Bob Dylan (20)
38. Earth Wind and Fire (20)
39. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (20)
40. Fleetwood Mac (20)
41. Foreigner (20)
42. Genesis (20)
45. Isaac Hayes and the Movement (20)
47. Iron Maiden (20)
48. Jefferson Airplane (20)
49. Jethro Tull (20)
50. Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company (20)
52. Judas Priest (20)
53. Kansas (20)
55. The Kinks (20)
58. Bob Marley and the Wailers (20)
60. Motorhead (20)
61. Nirvana (20)
62. Roy Orbison (20)
64. Pearl Jam (20)
67. The Police (20)
68. Iggy Pop (20)
69. Elvis Presley (20)
70. The Pretenders (20)
71. Prince and the Revolution (20)
72. Queen (20)
74. Rage Against The Machine (20)
75. the Ramones (20)
76. Red Hot Chili Peppers (20)
78. The Rolling Stones (20)
79. Rush (20)
81. The Scorpions (20)
82. Sex Pistols (20)
83. Sly and the Family Stone (20)
84. Sonic Youth (20)
86. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (20)
87. Steely Dan (20)
88. Supertramp (20)
89. The Talking Heads (20)
89. Tool (20)
90. Traffic (20)
91. Tina Turner (20)
92. U2 (20)
94. The Velvet Underground (20)
95. The Who (20)
96. Yes (20)
97. Neil Young (20)
98. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (20)
99. ZZ Top (20)
85. Soundgarden (18)
93. Van Halen (19)
34. Dire Straits (19)
43. Guns 'N Roses (19)
51. Journey (19)
27. Coldplay (19)
37. The Eagles (19)
59. Metallica (19)
11. The Bee Gees (19)
57. Lynyrd Skynyrd (19)
03. Aerosmith (18)
44. The Grateful Dead (18)
77. R.E.M. (18)
17. Bon Jovi (14)
+2 for King Crimson. By far the best progressive rock band in my opinion. I especially love Discipline.

+1 for Pavement. They are a very influential indie band and indie music provides most of the best music that comes out these days.

-2 for Aerosmith because really they are just a cheap knock off of Led Zeppelin minus the talent.

And finally -1 for Van Halen for having a boring rhythm section, Eddie being overrated just because he plays fast even though the style sucks, and for all of their singers for sucking in my opinion. Many David Lee Roth fans would be pissed but shaking his ass in spandex and singing crappy party tunes does not do it for me.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 02:29 PM
wphelan's Avatar
wphelan wphelan is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 422
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
12. Björk (23)
65. Pink Floyd (22)
10. The Beatles (23)
46. The Jimi Hendrix Experience (22)
73. Radiohead (22)
19. David Bowie and The Spiders From Mars (22)
56. Led Zeppelin (22)
80. Santana (22)
28. Cream (21)
66. The Pixies (21)
01. Abba (21)
00. 10CC (20)
02. AC/DC (20)
03. Aerosmith (20)
04. Alice In Chains (20)
05. The Allman Brothers (20)
06. The Animals (20)
07. The Band (20)
08. The Beach Boys (20)
09. The Beastie Boys (20)
13. Black Eyed Peas (20)
14. Black Sabbath (20)
15. Blind Faith (20)
16. Blondie (20)
18. Boston (20)
20. James Brown and the JBs (20)
21. Buena Vista Social Club (20)
22. Buffalo Springfield (20)
23. Kate Bush (20)
24. Johnny Cash (22)
25. Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (20)
26. The Clash (20)
29. Creedence Clearwater Revival (20)
30. Crosby, Stills, Nash (and Young) (20)
31. The Cure (20)
32. Deep Purple (20)
33. Derek and the Dominos (20)
35. The Doors (20)
36. Bob Dylan (20)
38. Earth Wind and Fire (20)
39. Emerson, Lake & Palmer (20)
40. Fleetwood Mac (20)
41. Foreigner (20)
42. Genesis (20)
45. Isaac Hayes and the Movement (20)
47. Iron Maiden (20)
48. Jefferson Airplane (20)
49. Jethro Tull (20)
50. Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company (20)
52. Judas Priest (20)
53. Kansas (20)
54. King Crimson (20)
55. The Kinks (20)
58. Bob Marley and the Wailers (20)
60. Motorhead (20)
61. Nirvana (20)
62. Roy Orbison (20)
63. Pavement (20)
64. Pearl Jam (20)
67. The Police (20)
68. Iggy Pop (20)
69. Elvis Presley (20)
70. The Pretenders (20)
71. Prince and the Revolution (20)
72. Queen (20)
74. Rage Against The Machine (20)
75. the Ramones (20)
76. Red Hot Chili Peppers (20)
78. The Rolling Stones (20)
79. Rush (20)
81. The Scorpions (20)
82. Sex Pistols (20)
83. Sly and the Family Stone (20)
84. Sonic Youth (20)
86. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band (20)
87. Steely Dan (20)
88. Supertramp (20)
89. The Talking Heads (20)
89. Tool (20)
90. Traffic (20)
91. Tina Turner (20)
92. U2 (18)
93. Van Halen (20)
94. The Velvet Underground (20)
95. The Who (20)
96. Yes (20)
97. Neil Young (20)
98. Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention (20)
99. ZZ Top (20)
85. Soundgarden (18)
34. Dire Straits (19)
43. Guns 'N Roses (19)
51. Journey (19)
27. Coldplay (19)
37. The Eagles (19)
59. Metallica (19)
11. The Bee Gees (19)
57. Lynyrd Skynyrd (19)
44. The Grateful Dead (17)
77. R.E.M. (18)
17. Bon Jovi (14)
+2 to Johnny Cash because he's awesome
+1 to The Beatles for too many reasons
-1 to The Grateful Dead because they're awful
-2 to U2 because they make me want to stab my ears
__________________
"Inflation is the opium of the masses." - Henry Hazlitt

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - F.A. Hayek
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 02:34 PM
partofme's Avatar
partofme partofme is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,117
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
+2 to Johnny Cash because he's awesome
+1 to The Beatles for too many reasons
-1 to The Grateful Dead because they're awful
-2 to U2 because they make me want to stab my ears
I actually like U2's work up to Actung Baby but I think everything they have released since is crap.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 02:47 PM
wphelan's Avatar
wphelan wphelan is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 422
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I actually like U2's work up to Actung Baby but I think everything they have released since is crap.
I had a friend in high school who listened to a lot of U2. For whatever reason, it just grated on my ears, and ever since then I've had a deep dislike for all things U2. They actually embody an entire kind of "rock" music that was popular in the early to late 1990s that I have no use for. It just doesn't do anything for me.

That's an interesting thing about music. One person can be totally into a song and you can tell they just feel a connection with it, but somebody right next to them can be totally unmoved. I wonder sometimes how different tastes in music develop.
__________________
"Inflation is the opium of the masses." - Henry Hazlitt

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - F.A. Hayek
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 03:21 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,835
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I actually like U2's work up to Actung Baby but I think everything they have released since is crap.
I really like the first five albums and that's it. Joshua Tree for me is the first bad album from them. It just seems to get worse with every album after that.

But Boy, October, War, Under a Blood Red Sky and Unforgetable Fire are all excellent albums.

Now they just seem like some generic Christian Rock band - all clean and no edge.

Btw, it is amusing that U2 was fantastic while they were veritable unknowns from Ireland. But Joshua Tree is their first really big success in the US market. I can think of several other bands that follow the same pattern - fantastic creativity right up until they find success in the US market and then they become crap.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old Mar 24th 2009, 03:25 PM
drgoodtrips's Avatar
drgoodtrips drgoodtrips is offline
Official Forum Geek
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,314
Default Re: Best Musical Artist

I liked some of their old stuff as well and have some of those albums, but I've never been any kind of enormous fan. And now, I can't think of them without thinking of the South Park episode with Bono on it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com