Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Forum Games

Forum Games Simple games for amusement.

Old Mar 18th 2009, 09:56 AM
World Citizen

Default Re: Dictators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I should think that raping, pillaging, murdering, torturing (and lots of it) ought to be the key requirement for inclusion in this thread. Banning condoms, hypocrisy on homosexuality and threatening excommunication alone just doesn't cut it.

Ok, then I'll at least have to submit Pope Innocent III, Gregory IX, Leo X and, if not originally by own agenda then by power of approval, support and appointment of Tomas de Torquemada, Innocent VIII. Besides a bit of crusading and the papal bull of 1484, giving authority to hunt down and kill persons perceived to be "unmindful of their own salvation", thousands of people were burned at the stake during his reign due to his role in the Spanish Inquisition.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 09:05 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

As a sidenote, I've personally always found it odd to find that Denmark is such a veritable hotbed of anti-papacy feelings (I've met quite a few Danes on the net with a particular dislike of the papacy).

Nevertheless, I do agree that some of the named Popes certainly do deserve the honor of inclusion in such a list of infamy as we are building here.

For today, I'll suggest the father & son team of Francois Duvalier and Jean-Claude Duvalier - aka "Papa Doc" and "Baby Doc" of Haiti.
Old Mar 20th 2009, 12:57 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
As a sidenote, I've personally always found it odd to find that Denmark is such a veritable hotbed of anti-papacy feelings (I've met quite a few Danes on the net with a particular dislike of the papacy).

Nevertheless, I do agree that some of the named Popes certainly do deserve the honor of inclusion in such a list of infamy as we are building here.

For today, I'll suggest the father & son team of Francois Duvalier and Jean-Claude Duvalier - aka "Papa Doc" and "Baby Doc" of Haiti.
Good one.

I was first introduced the to Duvaliers in Graham Greene's "The Comedians."

I will submit the dishonorable Jorge Rafael Videla.

He was president of Argentina during the Dirty War, a half-decade of brutal oppression, during which General Luciano Benjamín Menéndez suggested "We are going to have to kill 50,000 people: 25,000 subversives, 20,000 sympathizers, and we will make 5,000 mistakes."
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 07:52 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Here's an odd one for you all...

The one and only Oliver Cromwell, the only dictator who can actually be called a good dictator, wasn't corrupt and wasn't a pox on his country. He is also the one who proves that "absolute power" doesn't actually corrupt absolutely.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 08:32 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Lots of dictators in South America to choose from...

Augusto Pinochet was a bit of a celebrity and quite fashionably popular on the right in the USA and UK during the 1980s.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 01:37 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Today I will throw back to Ancient Rome and the death of the Republic. Julius Caesar.
Old Mar 27th 2009, 01:40 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Here's an odd one for you all...

The one and only Oliver Cromwell, the only dictator who can actually be called a good dictator, wasn't corrupt and wasn't a pox on his country. He is also the one who proves that "absolute power" doesn't actually corrupt absolutely.
I have a feeling there might be a few Irish who would protest Cromwell's "good dictator" label.

"The curious task of economics is to demonstrate to men how little they really know about what they imagine they can design.” - F.A. Hayek
Old Mar 27th 2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by wphelan View Post
I have a feeling there might be a few Irish who would protest Cromwell's "good dictator" label.
1. I suspect there are quite a few who would dispute the "bad dictator" label on Pinochet, Caeser or the Popes. Fact is, there are always going to be some discontents with any choices here.

2. The Irish, much like the Scots, have a long history of asserting that every evil that has ever befallen their nations can be blamed on the English. They both seem to foster a culture of resentment. One can reasonably point one's fingers at Irish and Scottish politicians in having a vested interest in fostering this, regardless of any merit to the argument. From what I understand of Scottish and Irish politics, this is still a dominant feature of contemporary politics in these places.

3. English conquests of Ireland are a dime a dozen. Cromwell's was probably the most effective.
Old Mar 28th 2009, 09:07 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Today I will throw back to Ancient Rome and the death of the Republic. Julius Caesar.
Do you think Julius was a 'bad' dictator?

And indeed, if Julius counts as a 'bad dictator', then EVERY Roman Emperor that follows is at least equally bad. I guess I'm looking at the 'person' as dictator separate from the 'evil' of the office of dictator. The office of dictator is always evil - but some of the people who have held this office have not been evil and thus, were comparatively decent dictators (as it were).

I think I'd put Julius into that extremely rare category of "relatively good" dictators. I don't fault Julius for being the one to end the Republic - he was the third fellow to follow the exact same career path (Marius & Sulla before him). Fact is the Republic was essentially dead, non-functional and beyond redemption at that time. Rome was at a crisis and couldn't continue under the existing political structure - massive political changes were required to deal with the existing political issues. Status quo was not an option - and Julius did represent the most 'progressive' movement of that time (against the conservative elements in opposition).

(This discussion I think might be suitable for its own thread - "relatively good dictators" - a club that I think includes possibly only Julius Caesar and Oliver Cromwell).
Old Mar 28th 2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Today's entry shall be Francesco Sforza of Milan, a rather colorful character mentioned in Machiavelli's The Prince. Born the bastard son of a mercenary, he rose to become the defacto dictator and eventually the Duke of Milan.