Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old May 20th 2011, 12:24 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Ah, so you got the desert in full force. I like southern Arizona as well. The desert is such an alien landscape that it's interesting to me to spend a week or two in it. I don't know if I'd enjoy it on a permanent basis. One thing that's so appealing to me about Arizona is that you have so many different climates and landscapes within a few hours of driving in any direction.

Sucks about the cold, though. There's nothing like coming home from a trip, getting back to the grind, and being sick on top of it.
Yeah, this trip we stayed mostly close to Sedona itself, but we've explored further out towards the Grand Canyon. It's interesting landscape, but I find the sun to be a bit oppressive. Must be that Scot blood coming out.

And this cold is gonna kill me. Good thing my boss is so supportive. :-/
Old May 21st 2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgoodtrips View Post
Sucks about the cold, though. There's nothing like coming home from a trip, getting back to the grind, and being sick on top of it.
As a sidenote: I learned a couple of years ago that if you fly on an airplane after picking up a cold, you run a very high risk turning that into something more serious (ear or nasal infection).
Old May 22nd 2011, 03:59 AM
Official Forum Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
As a sidenote: I learned a couple of years ago that if you fly on an airplane after picking up a cold, you run a very high risk turning that into something more serious (ear or nasal infection).
That sucks. I hope I don't pick anything up while I'm away over the next week. We're flying to Ireland tomorrow and then I come back on the 31st at night. After that, I go to work the next morning and have a variety of social engagements in the following few days. I hope the most serious thing I come back with is some whiskey or Guiness.
Old Jun 10th 2011, 09:45 PM
Citizen

All up and down the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. Across country--the northern route though, from New Hampshire through the mid-west and west--Colorado and Wyoming and Idaho and out to Oregon and Washington state. Never made it to California though, which I regret. Would love to see San Francisco.

I lived in New England so it was an easy vacation to go to Canada and I've been many times, mostly to Montreal and Quebec, but once, in my hippie days north of North Bay, Ontario. Friggin freezing in the middle of the summer.

I back-packed through Europe right after college. It was a common rite of passage for college kids in the 70's. I had a Europass and went to Belgium, the Netherlands, all over France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria. Couldn't travel over to England though, and I still never have. Yet. (I did stop over at Heathrow once.) I'll get there one day though, I'm sure.

I've been to Israel many times, actually married over there and though long divorced still have in-laws there and lots of nieces and nephews. And last but certainly not least, my dear, beloved Ireland twice--once on a tour and once visiting a friend in Dublin and then hijacking HER niece as my companion, renting this midget car, driving on the wrong side of the road all over the southeast and southwest. This was in 1997 when Ireland was still very insular. My little friend was a black teenager--Irish mother, Nigerian dad--and when we got lost in parts of Kerry some ignorant farmer stared at her like she was a thing. When I complained of this to my friend back in Dublin, I said, "You'd think that SOB never saw a black child." My friend said, "He probably never did." Oh.... Ireland before the EU.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 03:16 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanacat View Post
All up and down the eastern seaboard from Maine to Florida. Across country--the northern route though, from New Hampshire through the mid-west and west--Colorado and Wyoming and Idaho and out to Oregon and Washington state. Never made it to California though, which I regret. Would love to see San Francisco.

I lived in New England so it was an easy vacation to go to Canada and I've been many times, mostly to Montreal and Quebec, but once, in my hippie days north of North Bay, Ontario. Friggin freezing in the middle of the summer.

I back-packed through Europe right after college. It was a common rite of passage for college kids in the 70's. I had a Europass and went to Belgium, the Netherlands, all over France, Germany, Italy, Switzerland, Austria. Couldn't travel over to England though, and I still never have. Yet. (I did stop over at Heathrow once.) I'll get there one day though, I'm sure.

I've been to Israel many times, actually married over there and though long divorced still have in-laws there and lots of nieces and nephews. And last but certainly not least, my dear, beloved Ireland twice--once on a tour and once visiting a friend in Dublin and then hijacking HER niece as my companion, renting this midget car, driving on the wrong side of the road all over the southeast and southwest. This was in 1997 when Ireland was still very insular. My little friend was a black teenager--Irish mother, Nigerian dad--and when we got lost in parts of Kerry some ignorant farmer stared at her like she was a thing. When I complained of this to my friend back in Dublin, I said, "You'd think that SOB never saw a black child." My friend said, "He probably never did." Oh.... Ireland before the EU.
You. Are. Awesome.

I want to say more (and ask tons), but I'm really sleepy, so I'll just stand by "you are awesome" for now.

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30
Old Jun 11th 2011, 07:34 AM
This wine needs more whisky

My roommate in college back in 04 said her sister never saw a white person until she was seven.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 04:15 PM
Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
You. Are. Awesome.

I want to say more (and ask tons), but I'm really sleepy, so I'll just stand by "you are awesome" for now.

I think you must be sleep deprived. But's still a very sweet comment.

Not awesome, honey pie, just old.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 01:31 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Girl View Post
My roommate in college back in 04 said her sister never saw a white person until she was seven.
I almost believe it. Our country can be shockingly segregated.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 05:24 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I almost believe it. Our country can be shockingly segregated.
The first time I saw a black man in real life (that I remember) I was about three, and it was in the lobby of a movie theater.

You know what I did?

I pointed and sang the COPS theme song.

For a good time call Judges 19:24-30
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:48 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margot View Post
The first time I saw a black man in real life (that I remember) I was about three, and it was in the lobby of a movie theater.

You know what I did?

I pointed and sang the COPS theme song.
Priceless!I'm waiting for that moment soon. Not a whole lot of diversity where I live either.