Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Entertainment

Entertainment Hollywood, Movies, Music, Television, Sports & Celebrities.

Old Jul 3rd 2017, 10:43 AM
Citizen

Default Exorcist III

Exorcist III is a 1990 American supernatural horror film written and directed by William Peter Blatty. It is the third installment of The Exorcist franchise and a film adaptation of Blatty's novel, Legion (1983). The film stars George C. Scott, Ed Flanders, Jason Miller, Scott Wilson and Brad Dourif. This is the only Exorcist film not to be distributed theatrically by Warner Bros., though Warner Bros. subsequently gained international distribution rights.

Set seventeen years after the original film (and ignoring the events of Exorcist II: The Heretic), the film centers on a character from the first film, the philosophical Lieutenant William F. Kinderman, who is investigating a baffling series of murders in Georgetown that appear to have a satanic motive behind them and furthermore have all the hallmarks of "The Gemini," a deceased serial killer. Blatty based aspects of the Gemini Killer on the real-life Zodiac Killer,who, in a January 1974 letter to the San Francisco Chronicle, had praised the original Exorcist film as "the best saterical [sic] comedy that I have ever seen."

American serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer stated in interviews that he was in the habit of watching the film before hunting and killing his victims because it put him "in the mood" (source of information from top: Wikipedia).

The assumed 'Gemini-killer' in Exorcist III (portrayed nicely by Brad Dourif) dons the ghostly mantle of Father Damien Karras who died after the horrific events in the original film The Exorcist.

As Kinderman (equally nicely-portrayed by George C. Scott) interrogates Dourif's character and tries to understand the layered motivations of this 'legioned' possessed man who switches back and forth in consciousness between the Gemini-killer 'defendant' and the spirit of Father Karras (apparently in some kind of purgatory), we get the notion that this film attempts to context the notion of demonic possession and spiritual attrition within a framework of historical 'criminality.'

Departing from the standard spiritual 'prescriptions' in the original Exorcist film, Exorcist III attempts to place religion in an area of mass-psychology dissection, creating more of an 'interview' experience, which is very nice (in terms of divination-qualia) and why I consider this 'haunt' film under-appreciated/under-rated.

I compare Exorcist III to the divination-dissection films Agnes of God and Stigmata.

{paraphrased dialogue}

====

KINDERMAN: Do you believe you're the Gemini-killer?
JAMES: I'm not the Zodiac, but if I were, you'd know it...
KINDERMAN: Why wouldn't you tell me?
JAMES: You don't believe me; I could be, and I want you to think I am!
KINDERMAN: Why?
JAMES: The flesh is temporary. I am here in the flesh!
KINDERMAN: Why are you vacillating in spirit through the flesh of Karras?
JAMES: Father Karras died trying to save that little girl. He fell down...
KINDERMAN: He threw himself out a window and went tumbling!
JAMES: Isn't society grand?
KINDERMAN: You think humanity considers calamity some kind of circus?
JAMES: When treating the body as a medicine-man, one must be playful.
KINDERMAN: You're a sociopath as well as a psychopath...
JAMES: I'm simply a wonderful vessel!
KINDERMAN: You should confess to criminality and thoughts of mistrust.
JAMES: You're only a man...
KINDERMAN: I'm a man who listens to the footsteps of imagination!

====