Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Environment

Environment Climate Change, Pollution, Endangered Species, Industrial Agriculture, Degrading Habitats & Renewable Energy.

Old Dec 30th 2015, 06:20 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Oil Consumption by Country

Check out a listing of oil consumption by country (see link). It seems that USA, China & Japan are the big three in the world.

Next comes India, Russia and Saudi Arabia? Saudi is the 6th largest consumer of oil in the world? That sounds bizarre, though it is to be noted that Kuwait and Qatar are the two highest consumers of oil in the world on a per capita basis, so there something about these Persian Gulf oil-states that makes them huge consumers of oil.

Interestingly enough, the Southeast Asia region consumes far more oil than Europe or North America.

When it comes to western nations, it seems that Canada and Netherlands have the highest per capita consumption of oil. Canada makes sense because of its size and climate would have higher than average transportation oil usage as well as heating. But what's with Netherlands? How do they consume so much more oil (per capita) than UK, France or Germany?

Source
Old Dec 31st 2015, 07:57 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Oil Consumption by Country

Petroleum based fertilizer maybe? IDK.

Saudi Arabia is hot as fuck, probably running the AC all the time in their big dumb palaces.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 10:49 AM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Check out a listing of oil consumption by country (see link). It seems that USA, China & Japan are the big three in the world.

Next comes India, Russia and Saudi Arabia? Saudi is the 6th largest consumer of oil in the world? That sounds bizarre, though it is to be noted that Kuwait and Qatar are the two highest consumers of oil in the world on a per capita basis, so there something about these Persian Gulf oil-states that makes them huge consumers of oil.
Perhaps their power-generation is oil based?

I speak from ignorance, but my impression has been that power plants in the US are primarily coal, gas, and nuclear, not oil. The Middle East may rely much more heavily on oil-fueled plants, given the abundance of that resource there. If their grid is based on burning oil, that might explain the disparity.

It's actually Japan that surprises me the most.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 03:59 PM
Globetrotter

I can't collate these figures to other sources -e.g. Eurostat- at all. Given that the source of these figures is BP who sell crude oil, it stands to reason that these figures are not as much consumption in the sense an end user thinks of it but in the sense a primary dealer thinks of it, i.e. as the total amount which enters the economy. But that includes processing, refining, into other products which doesn't necessarily mean consumption in an end user sense. If you look at the countries which have an apparent disproportionate 'consumption', it's the countries which have a -relatively- large petrochemical industry. The Netherlands, but also e.g. Saudi Arabia make perfect sense then.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Perhaps their power-generation is oil based?

I speak from ignorance, but my impression has been that power plants in the US are primarily coal, gas, and nuclear, not oil. The Middle East may rely much more heavily on oil-fueled plants, given the abundance of that resource there. If their grid is based on burning oil, that might explain the disparity.
Yes, that would be my guess for the Middle East - that they are deriving pretty much ALL of their electricity from burning oil (just because they can).

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
It's actually Japan that surprises me the most.
Why is that? Japan is an advanced western economy with a population that is second only to the USA. Their numbers appear to be relatively consistent with the size of their economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I can't collate these figures to other sources -e.g. Eurostat- at all. Given that the source of these figures is BP who sell crude oil, it stands to reason that these figures are not as much consumption in the sense an end user thinks of it but in the sense a primary dealer thinks of it, i.e. as the total amount which enters the economy. But that includes processing, refining, into other products which doesn't necessarily mean consumption in an end user sense. If you look at the countries which have an apparent disproportionate 'consumption', it's the countries which have a -relatively- large petrochemical industry. The Netherlands, but also e.g. Saudi Arabia make perfect sense then.
If you know of a better source that we could use to address the topic, I'm okay with that. I just found this graphic and found it interesting.

And yes, a large petrochemical industry might be part of the explanation - at least for the Netherlands, but not so much for Saudi or other Middle East countries since they all import the vast majority of gasoline/petrol for cars since they don't have the huge refinining infrastructure needed for that. If they aren't refining gasoline there, they aren't making plastics/chemicals either. My understanding is that the Middle East exports unrefined oil.

Btw, quite a bit of [western] Canada's oil gets exported to USA (Gulf coast) to be refined into gasoline which then gets re-imported into [eastern] Canada to be sold at the pumps for Canadian cars. The only gasoline refineries in Canada are located on the east coast (in Nova Scotia).
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 02:19 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Why is that? Japan is an advanced western economy with a population that is second only to the USA. Their numbers appear to be relatively consistent with the size of their economy.
Huh, you're right. I didn't think Japan's population was that much higher than, say, France, and I assumed they didn't use oil much for power or gasoline. But I guess they really are packed in pretty tightly over there. 127 million people in 150,000 sq. miles.
Old Jan 2nd 2016, 10:14 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
If you know of a better source that we could use to address the topic, I'm okay with that. I just found this graphic and found it interesting.
It's certainly interesting but one has to be sure exactly what it shows. If the topic is end user/final product consumption of oil, it's probably not the right data.

Quote:
And yes, a large petrochemical industry might be part of the explanation - at least for the Netherlands, but not so much for Saudi or other Middle East countries since they all import the vast majority of gasoline/petrol for cars since they don't have the huge refinining infrastructure needed for that. If they aren't refining gasoline there, they aren't making plastics/chemicals either. My understanding is that the Middle East exports unrefined oil.
Check this out then. SABIC is a Saudi-owned petrochemical company and it ranks in the top 5 of the biggest in the world. For comparison sake, it's bigger than ExxonMobil. Interestingly, their European headquarters are in the Netherlands. Assuming some of their industrial activities are there too, the alleged anomalies start to clear up quite quickly, especially since the Dutch also have Royal Dutch Shell and AkzoNobel of their own.

I think your view on the Saudi economy and its links with Western interests is a little outdated. Tangentially, your appeal to focus on Saudi Arabia in the context of Daesh just isn't going to happen I'm afraid.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

According to the wiki page on Saudi economy there's no mention of any real petrochemical processing/refining capacity in Saudi Arabia other than for agricultural fertilizers which they started doing in the 1980's (which is the easiest/simplest petrochemical process). There are plans for Saudi to get into big league petrochemical refining/processing, but those are 'future' plans.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Saudi_Arabia
Old Jan 4th 2016, 05:55 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I think your view on the Saudi economy and its links with Western interests is a little outdated.
From what I'm reading, it isn't. Saudi is still primarily a medieval economy where Saudis don't work. The only 'modern' or 'advanced' aspects of the Saudi economy are owned and/or totally operated by foreigners.

Quote:
Tangentially, your appeal to focus on Saudi Arabia in the context of Daesh just isn't going to happen I'm afraid.
You are working very hard to not get what I'm saying (repeatedly).

I'm not stupid, I know that NATO isn't going to invade Saudi Arabia.

The point I'm making is that any other military operation in the Middle East is a complete waste of time, money, human lives and military resources because Saudi Arabia is Saudi Arabia and they will just keep playing the same game.
Old Jan 8th 2016, 01:21 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
From what I'm reading, it isn't. Saudi is still primarily a medieval economy where Saudis don't work. The only 'modern' or 'advanced' aspects of the Saudi economy are owned and/or totally operated by foreigners.

This is also from Wiki:
Quote:
SABIC was the world's fourth largest chemical producer in 2013. It is currently the second largest global ethylene glycol producer and is expected to top the list after the introduction of new projects. SABIC is the third largest polyethylene manufacturer, the fourth largest polyolefins manufacturer, and the fourth largest polypropylene manufacturer.[4] SABIC is also the world’s largest producer of MTBE, granular urea, polycarbonate, polyphenylene and polyether imide.
How much bigger needs it be? And it's State, i.e. Saudi-, owned.

I'd link you to its 98th position in the list of global companies but I'm not allowed on Forbes because I use an adblocker (and a damn good one too ).

Quote:
You are working very hard to not get what I'm saying (repeatedly).

I'm not stupid, I know that NATO isn't going to invade Saudi Arabia.

The point I'm making is that any other military operation in the Middle East is a complete waste of time, money, human lives and military resources because Saudi Arabia is Saudi Arabia and they will just keep playing the same game.
I do get the point but what's the point of the point when no one's going to touch Saudi Arabia.