Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:16 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Eyesore of the Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's odd. Why do I get the feeling that the "panel of architects" really hates the architect of this building and just want to screw him over with this nomination?

I'd say that's a fine looking building. I can't imagine what the problem is.

Indeed, we're talking about Russia here where you can find some of the ugliest buildings in the world - they've even got their own style-name (aka Soviet Brutalism).
We have brutalism here too.

As for the building, it's nothing to write home about, but it's not so bad.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:16 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Another temporary, artistic display in Malmö. This one in the canal. It was anchored so it pivoted with the tide. It was removed last year. Interesting.

That I like.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:30 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post
Apartment complex "Monblan"

Officially declared by a panel of architects as the ugliest recently constructed building in Saint Petersburg
http://www.kvartira78.ru/article/the...ldings-in-spb/
I don't see this building as ugly or an eyesore ....... unless it clashes with the buildings around it? Is it near the winter palace maybe?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 01:46 AM
World Citizen

Malmö was once an important harbour for shipbuilding, but when the industry went belly-up we were left with the Kockums crane ....... an ugly structure but our only city land mark - seen from a million miles away. But with no practical use it was slated for destruction.

Our citizenry went crazy trying to save the thing. ”Turn it into a restaurant!” was the most popular solution. For years, and a few years more, it was discussed and debated but alas it went.

I really don’t understand why it is that people want their city to have a landmark, really I don’t. Anyway Malmö was frantic to get a new one.

Enter Johnny Örbäck, Managing Director of HSB. He was fascinated by Santiago Calatrava’s sculpture ”Turning Torso” so he built this apartment building, by the same name, not very far from where the Kockums crane once stood.

It is the tallest building in Sweden BUT! It’s days as Malmö’s landmark was very shortly lived because we now have the Öresund Bridge connecting Sweden with Denmark.

And this, dear friends, was only the beginning.
Old Sep 6th 2013, 10:33 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pestilence View Post
Malmö was once an important harbour for shipbuilding, but when the industry went belly-up we were left with the Kockums crane ....... an ugly structure but our only city land mark - seen from a million miles away. But with no practical use it was slated for destruction.

Our citizenry went crazy trying to save the thing. ”Turn it into a restaurant!” was the most popular solution. For years, and a few years more, it was discussed and debated but alas it went.
That's a real shame. What a cool structure.

Here in Cleveland we have several decommissioned bridges from our "Steel Age" but they are largely left in place. Gorgeous.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:51 AM
World Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
That's a real shame. What a cool structure.

Here in Cleveland we have several decommissioned bridges from our "Steel Age" but they are largely left in place. Gorgeous.

"Gorgeous". I'm trying to figure out if you are joking with me.

This one looks good, for sure.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:56 AM
Official Forum Mascot

I am certainly not joking.

I love our post industrial aesthetic. When people try to glam up these midwest cities with towering sheets of glass, it just looks stupid, imho.

I especially love our bridges. Here is an old one, next to the construction of a new one:

Edit, that came out way huger than I had wanted. How bout just the link.

http://reallysmartchicks.com/wp-cont...ridges-102.jpg
Old Sep 6th 2013, 11:59 AM
Official Forum Mascot

BUT, since this is the eyesore thread... here is what I think is the very worst building in our city, if not the state. This is from the age of brutalism as well, and is, well, brutal. Also full of asbestos. Also tied up in the county corruption scandal of the past few years.

Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:07 PM
World Citizen

Quote:
I especially love our bridges. Here is an old one, next to the construction of a new one:

http://reallysmartchicks.com/wp-cont...ridges-102.jpg
Jesus H. Christ! Looking at photos of Clevenland and ....... it's just filled with bridges! I had no idea.

Quote:
BUT, since this is the eyesore thread... here is what I think is the very worst building in our city, if not the state. This is from the age of brutalism as well, and is, well, brutal. Also full of asbestos. Also tied up in the county corruption scandal of the past few years.

Perhaps Al Qaida made a navigational error? Ooooooops! Did I say that out loud?
Old Sep 6th 2013, 12:22 PM
Globetrotter

This is a church in Antwerp:

One doesn't have to be secular or atheist to shudder at the mere sight.