Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Apr 16th 2018, 08:21 AM
Resident Historian

Default Odds of impeachment?

So, in light of recent events (particularly Michael Cohen's records being seized, Ryan's and other retirements, and the surprisingly vitriolic response of some of Trump's formerly ardent supporters to his strike on Syria), I think we may have reached a point of more or less even odds that the president gets impeached in his first term.

If Mueller or the FBI office that raided Cohen come up with anything even remotely criminal, it'll be incredibly hard, politically, for Democrats to vote 'no' on an impeachment vote, given how much their base despises Trump. And if the Democrats control the House next year, the part of Trump's agenda that panders to his base will be dead in the water. He'll have very little left to offer his party and I'm guessing a sufficient number of Republican House members will be willing to cross the aisle in order to distance themselves from a useless and constantly embarrassing executive.

I also suspect that, if the Dems take the House, Trump will flip the script and totally abandon his stance on immigration in order to try and score a "win" with the new Congress, which should sufficiently tick-off his base to make an impeachment vote palatable for moderate republicans. He's already on pretty thin ice there (Coulter, who wrote, "In Trump We Trust" has more or less disowned him, Alex Jones responded to the strike on Syria by declaring "F--- Trump!", Tucker Carlson turned on him for the same reason...). It's hard to imagine Congress delivering anything else major before the election, especially with Ryan now on his way out.

Anyway, definitely not a sure thing, but I feel like we're reaching the 50/50 mark on the chance of seeing America's third presidential impeachment.

Thoughts?