Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Nov 12th 2016, 08:35 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Trumpistan-Russia-Iran

So this isn't a fully thought out thing on my part, and I have yet to read anything about it. However, it seems clear that not only is Trump "soft" on Russia, but Russia seems to have a direct interest in him having become President. We can debate whether or not they actually helped, but that is literally a different thread so I'd prefer to keep it out of here.

Correct me if I am wrong, but there are strong ties between Russia and Iran, no?

In my opinion one of, if not the most important foreign policy thing Obama accomplished was the Iran deal and initiating a thaw. Of course Trump railed against it in the campaign, but I think that can be largely ignored.

Anyway I'm curious as to what a Trump presidency means for US-Iran relations, in the context of our apparently new weird relationship with Russia.
Old Nov 13th 2016, 02:47 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Trumpistan-Russia-Iran

Maybe increased US cooperation with Russian and Iranian efforts to pacify and stabilize Syria under Assad?
Old Nov 14th 2016, 07:29 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
In my opinion one of, if not the most important foreign policy thing Obama accomplished was the Iran deal and initiating a thaw. Of course Trump railed against it in the campaign, but I think that can be largely ignored.
I don't give Obama much credit for this. The Iranians have been offering a deal for decades. Obama just said "ok". Any US President before him could have had the same deal just by saying "ok". It took no work or political capital on Obama's part. Basically, Obama failed to refuse the same Iranian deal like GW Bush and Bill Clinton did before him.

That being said, I have no clue about Trump and Iran. I'd be surprised if Trump could find it on a map.
Old Nov 14th 2016, 08:04 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I don't give Obama much credit for this. The Iranians have been offering a deal for decades. Obama just said "ok". Any US President before him could have had the same deal just by saying "ok". It took no work or political capital on Obama's part. Basically, Obama failed to refuse the same Iranian deal like GW Bush and Bill Clinton did before him.

That being said, I have no clue about Trump and Iran. I'd be surprised if Trump could find it on a map.
Well... yeah I don't disagree. In fact if Bush hadn't fucked up with his axis of evil garbage, Iran would have been a huge ally against Al Qaeda and modern history would be very different.

But Obama DID say "ok." And that sets him apart from everyone preceding him. Whether it took effort or capital or not, he did it.

And I don't disagree about Trump's ignorance. This is more a question of the reach of Russia's influence and what it means for our relationship with countries like Iran.