Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > World Politics (Non-US)

World Politics (Non-US) For discussions of politics, issues and elections from around the world.

Old Aug 14th 2013, 04:39 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: The gays are leaving Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
I worry about this in Ohio, actually. Our cities are very progressive and have vibrant cultural scenes, but our laws continue to be regressive. Aside from my basic philosophical support of equality, I worry that gay men and women will just decide that Ohio is not a good place to be.

I also worry about a female brain drain from Ohio, actually.

There are two "problems" for Russia here:

1. It is never good for a country (at least the authoritative government of a country) to have a vocal, and righteous, minority coalescing en ex terra.

2. If ever there were a "renewable" resource, sexuality is it, so...
Do you mean that there will always be other gays born?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
There are several pro-gay people who don't want a boycot, but who would like the athletes who feel as they do to make some sort of point, while in Sochi.

I would be very surprised if there is a boycot.

But as far as I'm concerned, why not just boycot Russian vodka.
"Russian" vodka you drink in the west is distilled and bottled in democratic EU member Latvia. Good luck with your boycott.

Quote:
Remember, the Russia's General Kutusov beat Napoleon in precisely this way.
What, Kutuzov was a gay now? Come on... You are crossing the line, my friend, leave one of our greatest generals out of it.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 04:49 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post

"Russian" vodka you drink in the west is distilled and bottled in democratic EU member Latvia. Good luck with your boycott.

What, Kutuzov was a gay now? Come on... You are crossing the line, my friend, leave one of our greatest generals out of it.
He left Moscow, and Napoleon found it empty. Gay Russians are leaving Russia, just like Kutuzov left Moscow.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 04:53 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
He left Moscow, and Napoleon found it empty. Gay Russians are leaving Russia, just like Kutuzov left Moscow.
He did not just leave it empty, he burned it to the ground. All the gays are doing is moving from one country to another. How is that similar?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 04:55 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
He did not just leave it empty, he burned it to the ground. All the gays are doing is moving from one country to another. How is that similar?
Because just like Napoleon, the homophobes need someone to conquer.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Remember, the Russia's General Kutusov beat Napoleon in precisely this way.
Running away is not a strategy to be proud of. And Kutusov didn't leave the country.

That being said, Napoleon (and I'm not fan of that murderous little tyrant) was defeated by 'General Winter', not Russian arms.

The Russians can take credit for defeating Hitler, but with Napoleon, not so much. Napoleon's invasion of Russia was hamstrung right from the beginning by Admiral Nelson's victories. Between that and the Russian winter, Napoleon was defeated. No Russian general was required.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 10:21 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Yes. Though I don't use the word as a noun.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 03:38 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Running away is not a strategy to be proud of. And Kutusov didn't leave the country.

That being said, Napoleon (and I'm not fan of that murderous little tyrant) was defeated by 'General Winter', not Russian arms.

The Russians can take credit for defeating Hitler, but with Napoleon, not so much. Napoleon's invasion of Russia was hamstrung right from the beginning by Admiral Nelson's victories. Between that and the Russian winter, Napoleon was defeated. No Russian general was required.
So Kutuzov has to cede some glory points to winter and French fatigue, but doesn't he recover those points in the fact that so few Russian lives were lost in the victory, thanks to his tactics?
Old Aug 15th 2013, 07:31 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
So Kutuzov has to cede some glory points to winter and French fatigue, but doesn't he recover those points in the fact that so few Russian lives were lost in the victory, thanks to his tactics?
Please review Russian casualties from the Napoleonic campaign, rather than just looking at one small phase of it. Russian losses were enormous.

Also, it was Nelson's victories that are the key element that ultimately made Napoleon's invasion of Russia an inevitable failure (though most people didn't understand this at that time - that understanding is a product of later historical analysis).
Old May 1st 2014, 12:37 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I think maybe it is for the best, maybe they will have better lives out there, in the more progressive Western countries.

It is a loss for Russia, for sure. Some of them are talented and educated young people. Kargaltsev is a filmmaker. there are others. But, I suppose the government does no see it quite that way, to them, this is getting rid of a unwelcome bad element of our society.

But, mostly, I am still shocked about that Smirnov fellow...
The quote outlining Smirnov's words are below, for those who don't know.
I hope that soon, most Russian people will understand that of course gay people are part of all walks of life, and not be shocked, as HimselfAndHe was shocked by this, less than 9 months ago. Less than 9 months ago HimselfAndHe was surprised that (in his words) "a nearly 60 year old veteran can be a gay". I hope that soon Russian people won't be surprised about that.

Quote:

Comment by Aleksandr Smirnov:

"Oh, if I had the money, I would leave. The motherland does not accept me, as a citizen or defender [implying he had served in the military]. She does not want me. I will be 60 in a year [the "gay subculture" is assumed to only be a fad among certain young people here]. I have my memories. But I want spiritual peace, somewhere, where the term "gay" does not come with insults."

This was somewhat of a revelation for me... That a nearly 60 year old veteran can be a gay. Perhaps I am an ignorant Russian, I never realized this. Obviously this man had to hide what he is for much of his life, especially in the ranks. Must have been awful for him

Anyway, Putin should be happy, the gay problem seems to be solving itself. they are leaving our society in "drives and packs", as the second article states.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; May 1st 2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old Oct 27th 2016, 06:57 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
If he was gay, then it might help gay people in Russia, don't you think, to have him among their ranks? Surely you would be happy if the situation for gay people in Russia was improved, wouldn't you? I hope gay people stop being met with homophobia around the world.