Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 06:41 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Oscars Diversity Flap

So it seems that some people have decided that the Oscars lack racial diversity and thus are boycotting the Oscars this year.

Now I don't doubt that the Academy is filled with a bunch of old white guys who are known for being rather conservative in their tastes and could use a bit of diversity. But I don't think that racial quotas (which some have suggested) for nominees, let alone winners would be appropriate, useful or an improvement.

That being said, I have not seen anyone asserting that any particular 'non-white' actor, actress or director was obviously snubbed this year. Now I'm not overly familiar with all the films eligible for Academy consideration this year, nor do I follow movie industry closely, so I don't know if that's the case. If some good academy-quality performances by 'non-whites' are getting systematically snubbed by the academy, then I think it would be a valid point to cry 'racism' and demand diversity at the academy/Oscars.

But I'm not seeing this at all. I've not seen a word published about academy quality performances by non-whites getting snubbed (this year or recently). Can anyone correct me about this?

And if there are no obvious academy-quality performances by 'non-whites' being snubbed, what's the flap about then? Affirmative action and entitlement by skin-color for Academy Awards?
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 06:59 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Oscars Diversity Flap

There are a few, but ultimately the larger problem is Hollywood as a whole not creating diverse "Oscar Worthy" art.

Idris Elba in "Beasts of No Name" or Will Smith in "Concussion" could have easily been nominated for best actor, especially since this year's field of best actor nods is widely considered to be a pretty weak field, which means DiCaprio will FINALLY get his (frankly much deserved) Oscar.

This is certainly not just a "this year" situation either. The Oscars are historically all white, the difference is that this year we are reaching a societal breaking point on the oppression and dismissal of people of color.