Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Oct 12th 2015, 01:55 AM
Globetrotter

Default Women in manly jobs

A photo thread, with images I have found around cyberspace, of Russian women who manage to stay feminine and beautiful in even the very masculine professions. Some I can name, others are nameless.

Lyubov Sidorova, from Kazan, Tatarstan, Russia's one known female construction crane operator

Yulia Kharlamova, Senior Lieutenant, Russian Airborne Troops (VDV)

First graduate of the VDV Pskov Academy special training program for female officers, to take command of a platoon of 18 men (five or six other women have now assumed similar position over last year). Earned the respect of her men, is married to a Spetsnaz officer, fought as a volunteer in Donbass, distinguished herself there too.

Two young policewomen patrolling a Moscow Metro station

A sight, which would shock people just 15 or even 10 years ago, but is no longer all that abnormal anymore.

Lyudmila, a female security guard at a gold mine on the Kolyma river, in Magadan oblast, Northern Siberia

Apparently, at this particular mine, according to the article where I found the photo, most of the guards, actually, are shotgun-wielding women! The men working in the mine refer to them as "our Amazons" lol

Female coal miners in Kemerovo

Actually, they are referred to as "miners", to make them feel as part of the crew, but, really, the actual grueling, backbreaking work deep in the mines is reserved for men. These girls are geologists, who go underground only to inspect the ores and soils and such, to tell the men which way best to dig, so to speak, to strike more coal. Still, they DO go underground and face the same dangers and endure same discomforts as the men who work down there every day

Tatyana Samopalnikova, of Tyumen, quite possibly the only woman driving a lorry truck around Russia

After 30 years, all in all, on the roads, the 48 year old (yes, she drove trucks since she was 18!) "Tanya of Tyumen" is a famous figure among Russian truckers. Some years ago, she even helped organize a trucker strike against truck company bosses who underpaid drivers while geopardizing their safety by refusing to pay for proper maintenance for their vehicles. She is also a happy mother of three and, thus far, grandmother of four. Who says you cannot combine work and family? She even met her husband on the road, apparently, a fellow trucker lol

Larina Evmurzaeva, from Chechnya, Russia's only female pilot, flying for the Chechen airline Grozny Avia

Flying is literally in Larina's blood: her father and all three (older) brothers are pilots.

Female car mechanic

Trolley bus driver

Factory worker

She is making... an AK haha

Fun fact: vast majority of the workers at the Kalashnikov factory in Izhevsk are female

Don't ask me why, that's just the way it is

Etc. I like it. Our women have made great progress as far as employment goes, in recent times. I am happy for them.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 01:14 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Default Re: Women in manly jobs

I don't think jobs have gender.
Old Oct 12th 2015, 01:25 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Many do around here Certainly the ones listed here are traditionally "male" occupations, and it is very unusual indeed to see women in them.
Old Oct 13th 2015, 05:30 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
Yes, but the people who have jobs, hire jobs, pay jobs, supervise jobs and organize jobs all have genders. Hence, gender is always going to be part of the game.
Old Nov 16th 2015, 02:15 AM
Globetrotter

Anna Shpenova is 32 years old, married, mother of two small children, lives in Saint Petersburg... and is also the only woman in all of Russia who fights fires for her job

She became a firefighter at 25. At first, nobody took her seriously, she was sent to extinguish burning garbage cans and the like. But she kept demanding to be placed on real crews to battle real fires, and, eventually, wore down commanding officer after commanding officer, and then proved herself to male peers, shattering the perception that only a man can put out a fire.

She received a medal for Heroism as a Firefighter in March

That was in recognition of her conduct in November of last year. At the time, she was among the units responding to a massive fire at a five-floor office building. Shpenova and two male firefighters entered the building. The flames were all around them. Then, on the radio, they heard there were two women trapped in an office further on in the building. The men stayed behind and began to fight the fire, while Anna moved ahead to find and rescue the trapped victims.

When she followed their shouts to an area and kicked in a door to free them, the first thing she saw in the eyes of one of the women (other was unconscious from smoke inhalation) was shock, not at the fire, or her friend being in bad state, but at a fellow woman's behind he visor of her helmet. "You.. You are a girl..." she said. Senior Sergeant Anna Shpenova took the conscious by hand, carried her friend on her back, and evacuated them both to safety outside.

Her medal was awarded on March 8th, Women's Day

Her favorite activity, outside fighting fires, playing with her won children, or spending time with her husband (who is also a firefighter, by the way ), is when school groups come to visit their unit.

She especially enjoys dressing young girls in the gear and taking them riding around in the truck

Anna Shpenova thinks Russia needs more female firefighters.

The Ministry of Emergency Situations (which controls the firefighting, as well as the rescue units) also boasts the only female helicopter pilot of all the government forces, Captain Ekaterina Oreshnikova

Flying is in her blood. Her grandmother was nothing less than one of the legendary Night Witches of the Red Army in WWII

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Witches