Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #171  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 05:53 PM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Please don't tell me you've seen one of the films, and are judging a book by its film.

Either way, you haven't read one of his books, and have made an assessment of him. Utterly ridiculous, in my opinion.
Well if he truly is a genius then you can surely tell me why or all will know your words are empty
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 05:57 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Well if he truly is a genius then you can surely tell me why or all will know your words are empty
I think he's a genius because I think he writes brilliant books. I also think Beethoven was a genius, because I think he wrote brilliant tunes.

You say he isn't a genius, despite not having read any of his books.
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Entertaining perhaps (As are minstrels) but genius, no, that devalues the word
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 06:15 PM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I think he's a genius because I think he writes brilliant books. I also think Beethoven was a genius, because I think he wrote brilliant tunes.

You say he isn't a genius, despite not having read any of his books.
No, that is circular, why are his books brilliant and don't say because he is a genius
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 06:18 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
No, that is circular, why are his books brilliant and don't say because he is a genius
You'll have to make do with that answer which you say is circular, but isn't. I'm certainly not going to take lectures from someone who categorically assessed his work, without having read a single one of his books.
__________________
Europe

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Mar 17th 2014 at 06:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 06:36 PM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
You'll have to make do with that answer which you say is circular, but isn't. I'm certainly not going to take lectures from someone who categorically assessed his work, without having read a single one of his books.
So your argument amounts to; I fink his books is good so he must be a genius

Thank you Einstien
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 06:39 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
So your argument amounts to; I fink his books is good so he must be a genius

Thank you Einstien
Oh, the irony.
By the way, it was the film you were going by, wasn't it?
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 06:53 PM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Oh, the irony.
By the way, it was the film you were going by, wasn't it?
No, that's not irony, please look up the meaning of that word

Not seen any films of his
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old Mar 17th 2014, 07:04 PM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
No, that's not irony, please look up the meaning of that word

Not seen any films of his
I'm a descriptivist. You don't seem to be one, telling everyone that words must mean what they used to mean.
__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old Mar 18th 2014, 04:54 AM
voiceoftheshires voiceoftheshires is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Heart of England
Posts: 490
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
I'm a descriptivist. You don't seem to be one, telling everyone that words must mean what they used to mean.
Descriptavist or not, what is it about either he or his books that make him worthy of the denotation genius?
__________________
I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately... ...and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old Mar 18th 2014, 05:01 AM
NickKIELCEPoland's Avatar
NickKIELCEPoland NickKIELCEPoland is offline
Globetrotter
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 8,068
Default Re: Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceoftheshires View Post
Descriptavist or not, what is it about either he or his books that make him worthy of the denotation genius?
I can't explain further than to say that I think they are brilliant - what is it about his books that make him, in your opinion, unworthy of the name genius - oh, I forgot, you haven't read any, but that doesn't stop you from being certain that he isn't a genius.

__________________
Europe
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com