Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Closed Thread

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:14 AM
Resident Anthropologist

Default Re: Random Post - Again

Got up to about 28 or 29C /82 or 84F yesterday and today. People around here are considering this a heat wave. Granted, it is warm here for this time of year. This was followed by some impressive thunderheads, showers, then a perfect double rainbow and gorgeous pink sunset with an almost full moon rising in the east. It is about 1:15 a.m. now and the temp. is down to 15C/60F. Gotta love that ocean!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 06:05 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greendruid View Post
Got up to about 28 or 29C /82 or 84F yesterday and today. People around here are considering this a heat wave. Granted, it is warm here for this time of year. This was followed by some impressive thunderheads, showers, then a perfect double rainbow and gorgeous pink sunset with an almost full moon rising in the east. It is about 1:15 a.m. now and the temp. is down to 15C/60F. Gotta love that ocean!
That's positively cool weather compared to when I came down there for your "handfasting" thing.

We are in continuous heatwave mode here right now - but this is Toronto in the summer - if it ain't so humid you are dripping wet, it ain't summer.

And yes, I absolutely love it when the temperatures are above 90/32 and the humidity is high. The only downside is listening to all the fat people complain bitterly about it.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 08:36 PM
Globetrotter

29% humidity here with low 80s days (high 20s C), low 50s (low teens C) nights and 10-14mph evening breezes.

I'm not fat but do consider high humidity a barbaric living condition.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 06:45 AM
Resident Historian

We're sitting in the mid-90s (~35 C) for today and the next several days; humidity at 57%; projected low tonight of 75.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 02:44 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
That's positively cool weather compared to when I came down there for your "handfasting" thing.
Indeed - I think it was in the 33C or 34C region that day, though that was in late August, our hottest time of the year.

Quote:
We are in continuous heatwave mode here right now - but this is Toronto in the summer - if it ain't so humid you are dripping wet, it ain't summer.

And yes, I absolutely love it when the temperatures are above 90/32 and the humidity is high. The only downside is listening to all the fat people complain bitterly about it.
Yeah, growing up in that was a mark of resilience to the extremes of weather (that goes for the cold too!) However, when I started doing archaeology at the lowest point on the Lake Ontario basin at Dundurn and we were having "pollution days" in the lab instead of in the field, I kind of got tired of that badge. The heat would keep all the air pollution trapped in this basin of lowest-lying geography and it would just sit there. Air quality index was way into the bad zone, occasionally rivaling L.A. and other notable places. I don't mind the heat like that if I'm sitting relatively still. It's when I have to do physical labour outside at the peak of the sun's arc that I loathe it so.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americano View Post
29% humidity here with low 80s days (high 20s C), low 50s (low teens C) nights and 10-14mph evening breezes.

I'm not fat but do consider high humidity a barbaric living condition.
I'm sure there are people who don't like the humidity who are not fat. My point is that anyone who is 30 lbs+ overweight gets into non-stop moaning, groaning and whinging about the heat (as if a heat wave is a special torture sent to make them suffer).

And they always say things like "I don't know how anyone can stand this heat" or "anyone without airconditioning is an idiot" or "airconditioning should be mandatory everywhere" and all kinds of stupid things like that. When I say that I actually enjoy the hot weather, they feel free to say that I'm insane. But if I point out the problem is not the heat but the fact that they are obesely fat, that's apparently off limits.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 06:01 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

And a Happy Independence Day for our American friends.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 06:45 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Btw, for anyone curious, this is "indoor gardening" season for tropical plants.

I've been raising indoor tropical plants for many years (actually, trees - I've got a half-dozen of them as tall as I am) and one thing I've learned (the hard way) is that large tropical plants will die if you replant or move them pretty much any time other than July. Just thought I'd share that.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 08:44 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
I'm sure there are people who don't like the humidity who are not fat. My point is that anyone who is 30 lbs+ overweight gets into non-stop moaning, groaning and whinging about the heat (as if a heat wave is a special torture sent to make them suffer).

And they always say things like "I don't know how anyone can stand this heat" or "anyone without airconditioning is an idiot" or "airconditioning should be mandatory everywhere" and all kinds of stupid things like that. When I say that I actually enjoy the hot weather, they feel free to say that I'm insane. But if I point out the problem is not the heat but the fact that they are obesely fat, that's apparently off limits.
I try and be mum around overweight people. They inevitably have some lame rationalization for their voracious appetites and lack of regular exercise. I used to question the medical excuses but they seldom had any any answers but ongoing conditions. They do truly resent any suggestion of changing doctors.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 09:07 PM
Globetrotter

Cantaloupe, my favorite melon, is in season! The farmers market we patronize is already loaded with delicious, organic summer goods and the prepared food vendors make for a great lunch while shopping. Does anyone else shop at a farmers market?