Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Chat Zone

Chat Zone This is for relaxing, chit chat, informal discussions or oddball topics - or anything that doesn't belong somewhere else - jokes, funny stories, interesting links or any topic you want to talk about.

Old Oct 2nd 2011, 08:50 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Best Post of the Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick in the "Patriotism - how do you see it?" thread
Extremely negative. It doesn't make any rational sense whatsoever given the arbitrariness of the subject of the idolatry. Psychologically it's a form of extrapolated narcissism.

A thousand years ago I would have been supposed to be patriotic about my village to the exclusion of the village 5 miles away. 500 years ago I would have been supposed to be patriotic about the local city and would have to deem the city 50 miles away as 'them', 'the others', 'foreigners' and often enough 'the enemy'.

Now I'm supposed to patriotic together with the inhabitants of the villages and cities that once were the enemy. Now it's the 'nation' that one has to submit to. But nations are with very few exceptions completely arbitrary constructs, in most cases literally lines drawn on a map without any regard for what that map represents.

What do people have in common after all that live in the same country : that country, that nationality and nothing else. Who has more in common : an Oxford don and a Manchester United fan or that fan and a Borussia Dortmund fan ? A Flemish neo-nazi and a Flemish anarchist or that anarchist with an anarchist in Mexico ?

Another issue with patriotism is that it's one of the necessary ingredients for genocide. To mobilize people to commit genocide the other side, the victims to be have to be dehumanized (propaganda/hate speech serves that purpose) and the own side has to be considered without blemish and that's where nationalism/patriotism comes in.
This aspect of nationalism has brought us the Holocaust, the genocides in former Yugoslavia and the oft forgotten mass slaughters in Rwanda, Burundi and Congo.

Finally, it seems to me that the less reason there is for a real feeling of communality the more the artificial feeling of nationalism is stressed and enforced, with the USA being a prime example.
I doff my cap in honor of such a fine post.

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...3&postcount=15
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 09:33 AM
Globetrotter

Best Post of the Week making a statement that Michael agrees with, as always.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:29 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
Best Post of the Week making a statement that Michael agrees with, as always.
This isn't the place for it (I hope michael deletes both this post and yours), but that is a non-factual comment. Michael has posted a BPOTW here, and then gone and argued with/objected to the points in the actual thread.

So...
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:38 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
This isn't the place for it (I hope michael deletes both this post and yours), but that is a non-factual comment. Michael has posted a BPOTW here, and then gone and argued with/objected to the points in the actual thread.

So...
But Michael agrees with Dominik about patriotism. And patriotism is the subject of the BPOTW.

I'm just asking whether this is a coincidence, or not.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
But Michael agrees with Dominik about patriotism. And patriotism is the subject of the BPOTW.

I'm just asking whether this is a coincidence, or not.
I try to pick posts that are generally well written, or well presented, or clever, or humorous, but also show some passion, conviction and a good rational argument on a topic of general interest.

Whether or not I personally agree with particular post is beside the point, though I'll certainly admit to being human and tending to favor such posts.

I'd also request that you take all discussion about this issue to another thread if you want to discuss it further. This thread is meant to be just a showcase of particularly good posts.
Old Oct 2nd 2011, 11:58 AM
Globetrotter

No, I won't make a thread on this issue, since I am not passionate about it.
Just thought I'd give you a subtle nudge, so that you don't rest on your laurels, old bean
Old Oct 23rd 2011, 10:03 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante in the Occupy Wall Street thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by pramjockey View Post
Selfishness will be the downfall of our species. It simply can't just be about "as long as I got mine, screw everyone else."
Heartless as the question is, it seems to be worth asking: Why not?

If "I got mine" and the people I care about (family, friends...etc...) look like they've "got their's," what exactly is my motivation for caring about something as abstract and distant as the future of the species?

I'm not sure today's brand of secular, democratic, capitalism offers any response to that. No noblesse oblige, no Divinely mandated "love thy neighbor," no association of workers as 'family'...
It's difficult to come up with a good reason not to be selfish that the prevailing economic, materialist, hedonistic worldview won't quickly (and logically) categorize as so much subjective sentimentalism to be discarded as soon as believing it ceases to bring me happiness.

Not that I'm pining for the "good ol' days" of past justifications for oppression. But it does seem that the general trend in outlook makes it much easier to be a selfish bastard without being philosophically inconsistent or hypocritical.
http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...3478#post53478

I doff my cap in honor of such a fine post!
Old Oct 30th 2011, 08:53 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey in the "Occupy Wall Street" thread
So... there's a broad swathe of society that views society's problems as a law enforcement issue. People getting rowdy in the street? It is apparently easier to taze them or beat them or gas them or whatever than actually nut up and address the reasons they are being rowdy in the street. It's a cowardly perspective, but unfortunately it's rather pervasive.

You could call it the "hammer" doctrine. I'm sure you've heard it, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like nail."

Ok, so we're all nails. But we're not just existing, hanging out in a tray of nails. No. The nails hold the structure of society together. So when that structure experiences extreme stress and pressure (and if you deny that our structure experiences extreme stress and pressure, especially with back and forth madness, you're either kind of stupid or really drunk) those nails start to come loose. So those hammer wielders, desperate to preserve the structure, send out their little State hammers to bang those nails back into place. The problem is, every time those nails get pounded back in they get a little looser. Sure, pound one back in, and the structure stands up a little bit better than before the pounding, but keep pounding them in, year after year, stress after stress... sorry, sooner or later all of the hammers in the world aren't going to keep that structure together. Fucker is coming down. The police state might keep the elite sitting at the top of the structure up there for today, or for tomorrow... but they just keep building the tower taller and taller and putting more and more stress on the structure (especially the bottom).

Good luck with that.
http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...3994#post53994

I doff my cap in honor of such a fine post.
Old Oct 30th 2011, 09:04 AM
Globetrotter

Well deserved, Donx! A truly excellent post.
Old Nov 6th 2011, 12:53 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drunk Guy in the "Occupy Wall Street" thread
Silly semantic games is the exact reason we have a huge industry of legal services. Semantic debates are what happens when the Supreme Court hears an appeal. That is the essence of the legal system.

Therefore, you used the wrong dictionary to define detainment. Lawyers would say that the man was "delayed", but not "detained". See, here's the crucial point....the man could have walked out. He was not physically restrained.

If anything, he was peer pressured into backing up his truck and parking it. He could have easily called for the police, who I'm sure weren't very far away, if he felt he really couldn't leave. He could have rolled up his window and honked his horn for a while, also getting police attention. But, no, he backed up and parked. That was his choice. The protestors didn't jump into the cab of the truck and park it, nor did they tie Omar up to other protestors to prevent his 'escape'.

So charge away those pesky culprits. False imprisonment wouldn't stick. And there's no crime on the books for being a shitty neighbor. Yes, I would love to see the villains brought to court, but mainly because I would love to see a judge's face when he hears why they are there.
I doff my cap in honor of such a fine post!

http://www.discussionworldforum.com/...&postcount=609

(And no, I didn't pick this one because I agree with it, I picked it because it makes a darn good argument about the law)