Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Architecture & Urban Design

Architecture & Urban Design Buildings, houses, mass transit, density, urban sprawl or anything related to architecture.

Old Jun 18th 2010, 02:12 PM
Globetrotter

Default My home, Arkhangelsk

Arkhangelsk, Russia in 19th Century:

and today:

Severodvinsky Bridge:

More photos

More Arkhangelsk

Regional administration building
Near local university dorms, a restaurant/bar where students like to go (Russian students are not rich, I can attest to that, so, yeah, our choices are not fancy)

Paper factory

Airport
Old Jun 18th 2010, 02:37 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: My home, Arkhangelsk

Great post, though the images are a tad too large for my laptop's display
Old Jun 18th 2010, 03:56 PM
Globetrotter

Thanks, I'll try to find a way to shrink them.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Very interesting to see Arkhangelsk - cool pictures.

I really like the first pic that shows the old town with the two church towers - then the newer pics where you can see the same two church towers. That gives good perspective.

Nice paper factory too - I gather that is one of the largest local employers? (in my work, I buy LOTS of paper from around the world, though never from Russia)
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 01:31 PM
Globetrotter

Yes, we are one of the more successful cities of the Russian North. Actually, there are, I would say, exactly four. Murmansk, and their port, shipping and fishing; Salekhard - natural gas capital of Russia; Tyumen - oil; and us, Arkhangelsk, we have the paper factory, among a few other industrial objects (out of the 7700 registered businesses in the city, 2200 are in the 'large' or 'middle' category; our main items of trade are wood, paper, cellulose, and fish products);

Our Tsar Peter the Great monument and the sea-river terminal where it stands is featured on the 500 ruble bill

We have several universities:

• Pomorskiy State University (recently renamed that, to, I hope, finally recognize our heritage )
  • Northern State Medical University
  • Arkhangelsk State Technical University
  • Makarov State Maritime Academy
  • A branch of the All-Russian Distance Institute of Finance and Economics
We also have a large commercial port, 3.3 million tonnes of cargo go through it a year: http://www.ascp.ru/en_htm/3.htm

We have two airports, Vaskovo (local) and Talagi (countrywide and international):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaskovo_Airport
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talagi_Airport

Russian Navy ships go through frequently, we are near Severomorsk, the main Northern Fleet base

Yeah, that's about it. I am very proud of my home city, even if I live in Moscow now lol

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; Jun 23rd 2010 at 01:45 PM.
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 06:58 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Cool pix!

And that's a fine looking Corvette you have there... Parchim Class it would appear! According to Wiki, the Northern Fleet has 8 of them.

I'm a big fan of [modern] Corvette and Frigate class warships.

And three cheers for the magnificent statue of Peter the Great!

Btw, what's with that photo of a sailing ship sitting on a pedastal (looks like a carrack or galleon class ship)?
Old Jun 23rd 2010, 08:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Cool pix!

And that's a fine looking Corvette you have there... Parchim Class it would appear! According to Wiki, the Northern Fleet has 8 of them.

I'm a big fan of [modern] Corvette and Frigate class warships.

And three cheers for the magnificent statue of Peter the Great!

Btw, what's with that photo of a sailing ship sitting on a pedastal (looks like a carrack or galleon class ship)?
Indeed. Arkhangelsk has contributed many good sailors and morpekh (marines) to our country's naval forces. As for the sail ship, it is one of the monuments, remember, Arkhangelsk history is associated with the sea, with ships; and there are many monuments there.

We have this British 'Mark V' tank, made in 1919, supplied to the White forces in the Civil War, and taken, among several others, as a trophy by the Red Army. It now stands in the centre, and is referred to as 'Monument to Churchill', I do not know why: Attachment 314

The ship on pedestal thing is not the weirdest that we have, btw.

An eccentric (to put it lightly) man, Nikolai Sutyagin, built the tallest wooden family home on Earth here: Attachment 315

They wanted to put it in the Guinness book, actually. Unfortunately, it was swaying in the wind, several parts fell and hit nearby houses; as a result it was deemed dangerous to neighbors, and finally the Housing and Communal Authority ordered it to be taken apart last year.

Last edited by MeMyselfAndI; Oct 30th 2012 at 01:57 PM.
Old Oct 12th 2011, 04:13 PM
Nomad

Hi there,
may I ask in kind to confirm Severodvinsky Bridge - as I could not find any information on it. Working on a school archi project. all I could obtain was Yagrinsky bridge. It would be great to hear from you
Old Oct 12th 2011, 04:51 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuwy View Post
Hi there,
may I ask in kind to confirm Severodvinsky Bridge - as I could not find any information on it. Working on a school archi project. all I could obtain was Yagrinsky bridge. It would be great to hear from you
http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%9C%...BE.D1.81.D1.82

Cannot find anything in English, but will translate.

Quote:

Severodvinsky bridge

Bridge, connecting the center of Arkhangelsk and the left bank of the river [Dvina] began building in 1958 and finished in 1964. It became the first bridge across the Northern Dvina. Before it all cargo to Arkhangelsk from Central Russia had to be carried by boat by the river or on the ice, in the winter period. During the Great Patriotic War (WWII) cargo, headed to Arkhangelsk as part of the Lend-Lease agreement,was carried in winter time on a icy crossing, made by artificially freezing river water, because the natural thickness of the ice could not sustain heavy loads. Also, before the bridge was built, a railroad ended on the left bank. The bridge is 800 meters long, it has a two-way automobile path, one railway path, and a pedestrian crossing.

During the night, by the way, certain trains without special signs and not included in any schedule carry nuclear waste from the city's power plant.

The bridge can move up in the middle, to allow passage through the river for tall vessels.

Usually, though not always, this takes place at 2:30 to 5:00 at night. The automobile road through Severodvinsky bridge connects to federal highway M-8 ("Kholmogory").
Anything else you want to know, ask.