Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Arts & Literature

Arts & Literature Book Reviews, Fiction, Literary Criticism, Poetry, Stage and Visual Arts.

View Poll Results: The Internet for music has been...
good 3 75.00%
bad 1 25.00%
I don't care, I just like voting in polls. 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 03:34 PM
Globetrotter

Default Internet and music

I sometimes hear people complain about what technology has done to the music industry.

People say that musicians are disadvantaged financially because of the amount of listening for free that happens over the Internet.

I think those people are focusing on Anglo-American superstars. Yes, they used to dominate. Now, I can listen to, for example Faroese music or Tartar music. I wouldn't be able to listen to them before the Internet. a...The media didn't inform us about music from those cultures. b...Shops didn't sell music from those cultures. In other words everything was perfect for Anglo-American musicians whom the media had decided to promote. And that was it - it was very very difficult for other musicians to reach potential audiences.

The Internet is great, because, on youtube, I listen to music from all kinds of different cultures, and also from bands who aren't world famous. As a result, there are no longer the mega-stars that there used to be.

I believe that if a big artist refuses to record music because he or she doesn't want it on the Internet, people won't care, and they'll just listen to someone else. There's certainly no shortage of great talents from nation to nation. Here's a wonderful example of Faroese music, which I've recently found out about. Just listen - I think you'll like it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaPtHyOb_Fc

So, I think the Internet has been a fantastic boon for the music industry.

What do other people think?

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 2nd 2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 05:16 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Internet and music

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickKIELCEPoland View Post
So, I think the Internet has been a fantastic boon for the music industry.
Boon for the music industry?

Certainly not if one looks at music sales, profits, employment or any other reasonable economic metric in the music industry. In other words, it looks like the internet is a major disaster for the music industry, not a boon.

At least 90% of all the record/music stores are closed now. How many jobs do you think that killed? The company where I work used to do lots of business with Sony Records and EMI Music as major clients. We do nothing for them any more. That's a million dollars in lost revenues just for one company and we're not even in the music business.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 05:21 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Boon for the music industry?

Certainly not if one looks at music sales, profits, employment or any other reasonable economic metric in the music industry. In other words, it looks like the internet is a major disaster for the music industry, not a boon.

At least 90% of all the record/music stores are closed now. How many jobs do you think that killed? The company where I work used to do lots of business with Sony Records and EMI Music as major clients. We do nothing for them any more. That's a million dollars in lost revenues just for one company and we're not even in the music business.
Well, you can scoff, but I think it's a boon. Musicians reach their audience without having to go via greedy middle-people. Moreover, the media has less power over what I listen to. I don't depend on information from media (other than Internet) or on what shops choose to sell. So both information and availability have improved in my opinion.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 05:50 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Well, you can scoff, but I think it's a boon. Musicians reach their audience without having to go via greedy middle-people. Moreover, the media has less power over what I listen to. I don't depend on information from media (other than Internet) or on what shops choose to sell. So both information and availability have improved in my opinion.
You like it. You've already said that.

And I didn't "scoff" I pointed out that your argument is absurd. The music industry has suffered enormously, lots of lost revenue and lots of lost jobs.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:13 AM
Globetrotter

The Internet is making many things free, like news, opinion, communication and music. How this can be bad for the human race, I do not know. A pop group can record a song in one of the members' houses. I can listen to it on my computer without anyone having left their home. That applies to most communities around the world. Before the Internet people had to get up and open shops and order records for the shops, and even then there was only a very very limited of music that could be sold. What an amazing improvement since then, I say.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 11:16 PM
Official Forum Mascot

The internet has been great for music and musicians. Not so great for the industry.

But who gives two fucks about that.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 09:32 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
The internet has been great for music and musicians. Not so great for the industry.

I still maintain that it's good for the music industry. I define the music industry as simply the transaction of music. For me the transaction of music happens more smoothly now than before the Internet age.

Last edited by NickKIELCEPoland; Feb 4th 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:22 AM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
I still maintain that it's good for the music industry. I define the music industry as simply the transaction of music. For me the transaction of music happens more smoothly now than before the Internet age.
That's a non-standard definition of the music industry, but to the extent to which your definition is accurate, I agree.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 11:29 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
That's a non-standard definition of the music industry, but to the extent to which your definition is accurate, I agree.
Thank you for that response.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 06:52 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:

I suppose all those people who used to have jobs in the music industry (in all of its various forms). Like I mentioned above, my employer has lost about a million a year in printing revenues.

I see your point (who cares about the fate of any given big corporations), but how is this issue different than 'off-shoring' of US jobs and how that ultimately hurts US labor? (I'm just curious about your viewpoint, given your interest in labor issues).