Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Travel

Travel Where have you been? Where are you planning to go? Where would you like to go?

Old Oct 24th 2008, 08:08 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Where have you traveled to?

Where have you traveled to? How many cities, states, countries or continents have you been to? Inquiring minds want to know!
Old Oct 24th 2008, 09:53 PM
World Citizen

Default Re: Where have you traveled to?

I've been to Toronto and Niagara Falls in Canada. I also been to Cozumel Mexico. In the U.S. I have been through the south all the way down to Miami and as far north as Detroit. I've been to Washington D.C. but never made it to New York. Out west is the only part of the country I really haven't seen and my wife gets to go to California on a business trip but unfortunately I won't be able to go with her.
Old Oct 24th 2008, 10:49 PM
Villager

England - London a few times and a bit of the north (Lake District) and south (Weymouth), I've seen a few sights but mostly I end up in pubs talking to locals.

Mexico - personal favourite I spent 3 months travelling (pre kids) from San Diego to Isla Mujerres and back - love the small towns and the ancient history.

Canada - Lots of BC and the train from Vancouver through the Rockies and across Canada to Toronto (highly recommended), Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec City and Halifax - never been to 'the Rock' tho' (Newfoundland for all you non-Canadians).

The US - Boston and Provincetown, New York and Philadelphia a little, Washington DC (still haven't had a tour of the Whitehouse yet, but I have done 4 of the Smithsonian buildings), Baltimore (Fell's Point for Bertha's mussels and great beer) and around the Chesapeake Bay area (sailors and blue crabs - I was 25), San Diego, Chicago and the Greenpeace tour of toxic cities around the Great Lakes (Ashtabula, Ohio anyone?)
Old Oct 25th 2008, 03:19 AM
Citizen

I've been through much of the lower 48 states. I've not been to the Pacific northwest however. Nor have I been the the west coast, although I have been to California.

In addition to my travels in the US, I've been to Ireland, England, the Netherlands, and France. I'd very much like to go back to Europe, but I'm not certain when I'll get that opportunity. There are many places I'd like to visit, but the problem is prioritizing them.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 04:40 AM
Villager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Where have you traveled to? How many cities, states, countries or continents have you been to? Inquiring minds want to know!

Pretty much everywhere in the US except the CA, WA, OR, Alaska and Hawaii.

I studied in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, the UAE, and Egypt.

Took some vacation time in the Netherlands and Greece....and Canada too

I've lived in Chicago, Detroit, farm country IL, DC, and Phoenix....who knows what's next
Old Sep 26th 2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by partofme View Post
I've been to Toronto and Niagara Falls in Canada. I also been to Cozumel Mexico. In the U.S. I have been through the south all the way down to Miami and as far north as Detroit. I've been to Washington D.C. but never made it to New York. Out west is the only part of the country I really haven't seen and my wife gets to go to California on a business trip but unfortunately I won't be able to go with her.
Try the Florida keys if you can. Islamarado is a swinging place.
Old Oct 1st 2009, 01:46 AM
Citizen

Most of the USA plus France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands, Canada, Mexico.

I haven't been to Alaska, Hawaii, Idaho, N or S Dakota and a few others....

Old Oct 1st 2009, 06:48 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Now there's a good question... has anybody here ever been to either one of the Dakotas???

That's got to be one of the most obscure places in USA - no one ever goes there it seems!

(my apologies to KSigMason, but I honestly was going to add Idaho to that list of most obscure states that no one ever goes to, but I figured I couldn't put it on the list if one of our members hails from there!)
Old Oct 1st 2009, 07:07 PM
Official Forum Mascot

Quote:
Now there's a good question... has anybody here ever been to either one of the Dakotas???

That's got to be one of the most obscure places in USA - no one ever goes there it seems!

(my apologies to KSigMason, but I honestly was going to add Idaho to that list of most obscure states that no one ever goes to, but I figured I couldn't put it on the list if one of our members hails from there!)
No one lives there, why would anyone GO there?
Old Oct 1st 2009, 11:35 PM
Resident Anthropologist

Quote:

I was in North Dakota for six weeks in the summer of 2001 for the Mizzou archaeology field school. I was staff that year. We excavated a fur-trading fort (Fort Clark) that was next to a Mandan-Hidatsa-Arikara village on the Missouri River. It was early 19th century and we really didn't find much. It was a pretty nice rolling plain with few trees. They had a hilarious sign that has since been removed at the Montana border that said, "Montana. Closed for construction. Please follow signs back to North Dakota", or something to that effect. The sun was unrelenting in mid-July and we almost died in two separate tornadoes. It was a very peaceful place, especially on the weekends when the stir-crazy students would vacate for the day to go to the big city for movies. I had the whole camp to myself for two days once. That was a little creepy given that I had no means to defend myself in a fairly remote place. I also learned to hate ham-water product and ate ground bison for dinner for 10 days straight. One kid ate it for every meal because he wanted to really get a sense of the diet of the aboriginal people - he was a little crazy. South Dakota, which we passed through was quite pretty - the Black Hills are a unique geological formation that really sticks out in the middle of the plains.