Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Politics & Current Events > U.S. Politics

U.S. Politics Congress, elections, government and discussion of all US political issues.

Old Mar 24th 2017, 08:49 AM
Citizen

Default Deaths of Despair

Deaths of Despair. This is a striking article on the evolution of mortality in America - and an explanation of the vote for Trump.

http://www.economist.com/news/financ...wl/n/n/n/email

The situation will not get any better with Trump. In fact, it looks like all measures are taken so that it gets worse.

Any views?
Old Mar 25th 2017, 09:21 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default Re: Deaths of Despair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucre View Post
Deaths of Despair. This is a striking article on the evolution of mortality in America - and an explanation of the vote for Trump.

http://www.economist.com/news/financ...wl/n/n/n/email

The situation will not get any better with Trump. In fact, it looks like all measures are taken so that it gets worse.

Any views?
I've seen this data reported several times: rising mortality amongst white 40-65 year old men in the USA - mostly due to drugs, booze and suicide. It is rather remarkable given that American likes to see itself as the richest and most prosperous nation on earth. This data shows that it most certainly isn't.

I do think the article nails some of the deeper reasons why this is happening in the USA and not elsewhere. There just isn't a 'safety net' in the US the way there is in every other western country.

As I said many years ago during the US healthcare debates, the single best thing about the Canadian universal healthcare system is the fact that I never have to even think about the cost or availability of healthcare. That gives one a certain 'peace of mind'. Worrying about that cost/availability for oneself or one's family can really drain your life away and lead to despair.