Discussion World Forum  


Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Welcome to the Forum > Welcome & Introductions

Welcome & Introductions A place to introduce yourself and to find help with using forum features!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 16th 2019, 05:52 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Forum Not Closing

Given the drop in posting activity over the last year, it seems as though no one is interested in discussion forums any more.

On this basis, I'm likely to stop putting in the effort and the expense of running this forum in June.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old May 26th 2019, 11:46 AM
Abishai100 Abishai100 is offline
Citizen
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 186
Default Sad Expectation

Well, I'll be one of those folks who will lament such a loss, as World Discussion Forum became a real gem of an inspiration/resource for me, so I'll be posting something about professional tennis on this forum today!

Thanks for the years of great/professional stewardship, Michael.

This forum will be missed...

Peace!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old May 28th 2019, 05:46 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Forum Not Closing

It seems that the host has automatically renewed the site on my credit card. Rather than fighting with VISA and the web-host to get that credited back, I figure it will be easier to just leave it up for another year.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old May 28th 2019, 05:46 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Sad Expectation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abishai100 View Post
Well, I'll be one of those folks who will lament such a loss, as World Discussion Forum became a real gem of an inspiration/resource for me, so I'll be posting something about professional tennis on this forum today!

Thanks for the years of great/professional stewardship, Michael.

This forum will be missed...

Peace!
Thank you for your kind words. I do enjoy your posts.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Jan 15th 2020, 06:41 PM
Daktoria's Avatar
Daktoria Daktoria is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 728
Default Re: Sad Expectation

I played a game called RenaissanceKingdoms from 2013 to right before Christmas last year which had a similar forum structure to engage in political and social roleplay.

The forum collapsed there as well.

I think forums in general are going by the wayside in favor of real time chat apps.

Also, the old guard of political activity has moved on with real life while the younger generation isn't really anywhere close to as politically savvy.

It might be a consequence of how politics were before from incessant deconstruction. You can only deconstruct so much before structure becomes destroyed and there's nothing left to talk about.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Jan 24th 2020, 07:18 PM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is offline
Administrator
Herder of Cats
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14,838
Default Re: Sad Expectation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktoria View Post
I played a game called RenaissanceKingdoms from 2013 to right before Christmas last year which had a similar forum structure to engage in political and social roleplay.

The forum collapsed there as well.

I think forums in general are going by the wayside in favor of real time chat apps.

Also, the old guard of political activity has moved on with real life while the younger generation isn't really anywhere close to as politically savvy.

It might be a consequence of how politics were before from incessant deconstruction. You can only deconstruct so much before structure becomes destroyed and there's nothing left to talk about.
The election of Donald Trump as president of the USA has pretty much killed political discussion. How does one discuss the descent of USA in fascism?

Or rather, who the fuck wants to talk about the USA becoming a fascist state? Politics is as dead as democracy.

The game is over, the fascists have won. Forgive me if I choose to tune it out.

My deepest sympathies for my American friends.
__________________
Remember what the dormouse said: Feed your head!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Jan 26th 2020, 11:57 PM
The Drunk Girl's Avatar
The Drunk Girl The Drunk Girl is offline
This wine needs more whisky
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,489
Default Re: Sad Expectation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The election of Donald Trump as president of the USA has pretty much killed political discussion. How does one discuss the descent of USA in fascism?

Or rather, who the fuck wants to talk about the USA becoming a fascist state? Politics is as dead as democracy.

The game is over, the fascists have won. Forgive me if I choose to tune it out.

My deepest sympathies for my American friends.
Yeah, America is an interesting place to live these days...
I don't much care for the constant bullshit that I have to see and hear everyday. Having Trump in office has brought out some of the ugliest sides of people and they're ok with it.

I think what honestly bothers me the most is how much I have felt the need to compromise myself in my everyday life just to "get by".
__________________
"Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Feb 7th 2020, 02:12 PM
Daktoria's Avatar
Daktoria Daktoria is offline
World Citizen
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 728
Default Re: Sad Expectation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
The election of Donald Trump as president of the USA has pretty much killed political discussion. How does one discuss the descent of USA in fascism?

Or rather, who the fuck wants to talk about the USA becoming a fascist state? Politics is as dead as democracy.

The game is over, the fascists have won. Forgive me if I choose to tune it out.

My deepest sympathies for my American friends.
I literally grew up in downstate upstate NY where red meets blue, and I've talked with Eric Trump as well as core Trump supporters.

These people aren't fascists. They often even use political correctness to get away with their brutality as an excuse for rugged individualism and blaming victims since they say other oppressed people overcame adversity, so you can too.

They're just brash, vulgar, and obtuse.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2008 - 2017, DiscussionWorldForum.com