Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Other Forums > Crusader Kings II

Crusader Kings II Do you like to play Crusader Kings? Looking for help, tips or strategies?

Old Nov 22nd 2014, 10:25 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Default New 2.2 version

I'm really kinda freaked out by the changes made to the game with this new version of the game they've released. Specifically, the new vassal-limit rules make it almost impossible to play the game the way I like to play it.

I started a new game in version 2.2 to test it out, playing England (1066 start). By the time I conquered Wales and about 1/3 of Ireland, I'm hitting hard against the vassal limit.

I don't see how I could even get to form the Empire of Britain since I'd have to go way past my vassal limit to get there. And even if I did manage to jigger my holdings sufficiently to get the Empire created, that would pretty much mean game over since there's no way I could add any new titles or territories after that.

Basically, once you hit the vassal limit, the only way you can add any territory or title is to emasculate your demesne holdings. In other words, in order to grow larger, you must make yourself weaker. Who's going to do that?

So what's one supposed to do with this game after the first 100 years? The first 100 years are usually quite challenging, action-packed, interesting and fun. But after the first 100 years, the only thing left to do in the game is to collect territory/titles/crowns and that's just not possible to do with the new vassal limits.

I guess I'll be reverting back to the old version 2.1.6 so the game stays fun to play.
Old May 16th 2015, 04:29 PM
Globetrotter

Default Re: New 2.2 version

For those who like Paradox Games, you can now get an incredible deal on:

https://www.humblebundle.com/

$226 worth of games for as little as $15.
That includes a.o. Crusader Kings II and Europa Universalis 4.

PS
This may seem like commercial spam but I have no shares in any of the concerned companies, the deals and Steam keys are genuine -I'm installing about ten games as we speak- and you can even split the payment into parts for Paradox, Humble and charities!
It is a genuine good deal and our esteemed membership is known to have an interest in this kind of games.

Last edited by Dominick; May 16th 2015 at 04:39 PM.
Old May 19th 2015, 05:33 PM
Globetrotter

So far I understand -'scuse my British vernacular- jack shit about Crusader Kings
Old May 19th 2015, 10:02 PM
Official Forum Lutheran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
So far I understand -'scuse my British vernacular- jack shit about Crusader Kings
Haha. It's my favorite game, but it is completely different from EU3
Old May 20th 2015, 09:17 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
PS
This may seem like commercial spam but I have no shares in any of the concerned companies, the deals and Steam keys are genuine -I'm installing about ten games as we speak- and you can even split the payment into parts for Paradox, Humble and charities!
It is a genuine good deal and our esteemed membership is known to have an interest in this kind of games.
It isn't spam if people like it.

Quote:
For the record "Jack shit" is American slang, not British.
Old May 20th 2015, 09:18 AM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I'm really kinda freaked out by the changes made to the game with this new version of the game they've released. Specifically, the new vassal-limit rules make it almost impossible to play the game the way I like to play it.

I started a new game in version 2.2 to test it out, playing England (1066 start). By the time I conquered Wales and about 1/3 of Ireland, I'm hitting hard against the vassal limit.
It appears that these issues were resolved with version 2.3 and the game is playable. Version 2.2 sucks bad.
Old May 22nd 2015, 11:01 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non Sequitur View Post
Haha. It's my favorite game, but it is completely different from EU3
Tell me about it. It'll need singular focus so I'll wait till I finish a few ongoing epic EU IV games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
It isn't spam if people like it.
For the record "Jack shit" is American slang, not British.
Interesting because I'm sure I got it from some BBC programme once upon a time. It must have jumped the pond.
Old May 22nd 2015, 06:17 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
Tell me about it. It'll need singular focus so I'll wait till I finish a few ongoing epic EU IV games.
I find it is very different than EU, though there are similarities in the game engine.

CK is like The Sims crossed with RISK.

Seriously! The only real fun in CK comes from the soap opera aspect of the game. An ambitious/craven/cruel son makes the game more interesting. Or a daughter as your heir (or better yet, a lesbian daughter!).

You have to get into the whole 'character' thing otherwise the game itself gets rather boring after you've won a few good wars.

Quote:
Interesting because I'm sure I got it from some BBC programme once upon a time. It must have jumped the pond.
English language is doing a lot of that these days. I suspect the differences between British and American English will tend to die out with the effect of modern culture and the internet.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 09:58 PM
Globetrotter

I've done practically nothing with CK. Roleplaying as a bloody aristocrat is about as far from entertainment I could possibly get
Old Jul 14th 2015, 10:26 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

Quote:
I've done practically nothing with CK. Roleplaying as a bloody aristocrat is about as far from entertainment I could possibly get
I think the one thing I like most about the game is that it is low key, slow and mostly boring. It is good for relaxing. I don't want an adrenaline rush when I'm trying to relax.

I still love playing with my old SimCity 3000 game for the same reason (it was released back in 2000).