Discussion World Forum  

Go Back   Discussion World Forum > Discussion Forums > Sports

Sports Basketball, baseball, football, hockey, soccer, Olympics, World Cup, fantasy leagues and/or anything else sports related.

Old Jul 20th 2016, 08:02 AM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Default Is the US Screwing with Russia?

Paul Craig Roberts says so:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/07/...zing-olympics/
Old Jul 20th 2016, 11:53 AM
Globetrotter

Default Re: Is the US Screwing with Russia?

I think so too, at least in the case of Maria Sharapova. The WADA singled out a drug which was only accessible in Russia and Eastern European countries, declared it a performance enhancing drug on no scientific grounds whatsoever -they didn't even do any research- and that was it.
The WADA belongs in the club of FIFA, UEFA, UCI, ASO and so on.
Old Jul 20th 2016, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Herder of Cats

It does seem as if the world sports bodies go out of their way to identify 'guilty' athletes from particular and specific countries - yet never seem to identify 'guilty' athletes from other particular and specific countries.

Every Olympics begins with the expelling of one or two athletes from non-powerful countries.

I'm guessing the game is to pretend that they are being diligent about enforcement when in reality, it is quite the opposite. Rather like 'security theater' - actions are designed for appearances of action, not for an actual policy of action.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 01:23 PM
Globetrotter

We are in a new Cold War, so this is to be expected
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 03:24 PM
Resident Historian

My impression in this case was that it wasn't an issue of individual athletes cheating but of the government actively encouraging/assisting cheating on a massive scale. But I've generally avoided reading much about the Rio games...the local news is depressing enough, thanks.

Does the US have any particularly special influence over WADA or the IOC?
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 03:58 PM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
My impression in this case was that it wasn't an issue of individual athletes cheating but of the government actively encouraging/assisting cheating on a massive scale. But I've generally avoided reading much about the Rio games...the local news is depressing enough, thanks.

Does the US have any particularly special influence over WADA or the IOC?

Everything and everyone in this world can be bought and sold, including WADA or IOC officials, and especially pathetic tritors like Rodchenkov. Who, I hope, will end up having his sip of Polonium tea in the future. Scum like him do not deserve to live.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 08:44 PM
Resident Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeMyselfAndI View Post

Everything and everyone in this world can be bought and sold, including WADA or IOC officials, and especially pathetic tritors like Rodchenkov. Who, I hope, will end up having his sip of Polonium tea in the future. Scum like him do not deserve to live.
Ok. But doesn't that work both ways? Wouldn't it be just as easy to say "everyone can be bought, including Russian anti-doping officials"? The assumption that people are corrupt argues just as strongly (if not more so) for the idea of corrupt Russian officials cheating than for corrupt IOC officials trying to invent high-profile scandal.

As to Rodchenkov, do you think he's lying about the whole thing? Or is he still a traitor even if he was telling the truth?

Again, I know hardly any of the details. I'm just curious.
Old Jul 23rd 2016, 09:56 PM
Cranky Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominick View Post
I think so too, at least in the case of Maria Sharapova. The WADA singled out a drug which was only accessible in Russia and Eastern European countries, declared it a performance enhancing drug on no scientific grounds whatsoever -they didn't even do any research- and that was it.
The WADA belongs in the club of FIFA, UEFA, UCI, ASO and so on.
I'm wondering if the US was ever as pure as the wind-driven snow, as we were taught in grade school, or if government, including the US government, (Not to mention the British Empire) has always been Machiavellian?
https://www.bing.com/search?q=machia...pq=machiavelli
Old Jul 24th 2016, 09:56 AM
Globetrotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilettante View Post
Ok. But doesn't that work both ways? Wouldn't it be just as easy to say "everyone can be bought, including Russian anti-doping officials"? The assumption that people are corrupt argues just as strongly (if not more so) for the idea of corrupt Russian officials cheating than for corrupt IOC officials trying to invent high-profile scandal.

As to Rodchenkov, do you think he's lying about the whole thing? Or is he still a traitor even if he was telling the truth?

Again, I know hardly any of the details. I'm just curious.
Yes, Russians can be bought too, including by America, as Rodchenkov and other "whistleblowers" show. They will say whatever your government wants them to, for a Green Card. Bunch of prostitutes. No, I should not insult prostitutes that way, prostitutes have dignity and self respect too, unlike traitors
Old Dec 28th 2016, 06:41 AM
Resident Historian

Don't poison Rodchenkov quite yet.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/27/sp...ia-doping.html

Quote:
Russians No Longer Dispute Olympic Doping Operation

MOSCOW — Russia is for the first time conceding that its officials carried out one of the biggest conspiracies in sports history: a far-reaching doping operation that implicated scores of Russian athletes, tainting not just the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi but also the entire Olympic movement.

Over several days of interviews here with The New York Times, Russian officials said they no longer disputed a damning set of facts that detailed a doping program with few, if any, historical precedents.

“It was an institutional conspiracy,” Anna Antseliovich, the acting director general of Russia’s national antidoping agency, said of years’ worth of cheating schemes, while emphasizing that the government’s top officials were not involved.

A lab director tampered with urine samples at the Olympics and provided cocktails of performance-enhancing drugs, corrupting some of the world’s most prestigious competitions. Members of the Federal Security Service, a successor to the K.G.B., broke into sample bottles holding urine. And a deputy sports minister for years ordered cover-ups of top athletes’ use of banned substances.

Russia’s drastic shift in tone may be motivated by a desire to reconcile with the regulators, who have stipulated that the nation accept the findings of the recent investigation before the country is recertified to conduct drug testing and be a host again of Olympic competitions.